Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Nissan FINALLY has a 350Z brake duct!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the best price, but I love dealing with Pegasus.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...roupID=AIRHOSE
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM
uglyduc

Originally Posted by str8dum1
where do you get the best pricing on the ducting?
RPW is pretty good.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine from Pegasus, but I don't know if it was the best price. They are easy to deal with though and they ship fast.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
GrandAm350

You're going to need to drill some 2.5" holes in the fender liner to route the hoses. The NACA ducts will go into the front grill, in front of the radiator (zip tie them to the bumper mesh), then route the tubing back,then toward the outside, (you'll need to make holes here to), then throught the fender liner hole.

When securing the tubing, remember the tire is going to be higher (relative to the body of the car) than when the wheel is off. Make sure you put enough tubing in to allow you to turn the car lock to lock. On the track, this won't be an issue, but around the paddock it might. You don't want the tubing pulling off the CF Duct.

GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see the final result!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
uglyduc

Originally Posted by GrandAm350
You're going to need to drill some 2.5" holes in the fender liner to route the hoses. The NACA ducts will go into the front grill, in front of the radiator (zip tie them to the bumper mesh), then route the tubing back,then toward the outside, (you'll need to make holes here to), then throught the fender liner hole.

When securing the tubing, remember the tire is going to be higher (relative to the body of the car) than when the wheel is off. Make sure you put enough tubing in to allow you to turn the car lock to lock. On the track, this won't be an issue, but around the paddock it might. You don't want the tubing pulling off the CF Duct.

Sounds similar to what I ended up doing but instead of zipping to the bumper, I modified the intake deflectors to house the NACA ducts since they were mounted so nicely already to the bumper. One of these days I'll take some pictures, looks nice and clean.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
GrandAm350

The side deflector locations sounds like a clean place to have them.

(The only issue you'll find is that the airflow won't be as significant as coming straight in from the front of the bumper. BUT, if you're not doing endurance racing and driving at 9 tenths for long periods of time, that location is probably just fine.)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
uglyduc

The side deflector locations sounds like a clean place to have them.

(The only issue you'll find is that the airflow won't be as significant as coming straight in from the front of the bumper. BUT, if you're not doing endurance racing and driving at 9 tenths for long periods of time, that location is probably just fine.)
Agreed and good point for those looking for max air flow.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Fixxxercask

I knew where to put the NACA ducts, and I thoguht about drilling holes in them lip of the duct and screwing them into grille mesh or just zip tie. I was worried about the hose routing. So I for sure have to drill a hole for it to go through? Super!! Shouldn't be too bad. My car is lowered, so I really need to make sure the suspension has enough travel and I can turn the wheel without hitting.

Last edited by Fixxxercask; 01-13-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 AM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow dominick I didn't know you bought this. Can't wait to check it out at a NASA event this year!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Fixxxercask

I can't wait to utilize them!

I am slowly getting everything put onto the car for the first event. I hope I can have everything done by the end of February or mid March. The winter has flown by. I feel like I'm running out of time.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Fluid1

am I the only one who thinks the Titek cf intake ducts could be used doggystyle for this application
Old 01-15-2011, 05:28 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it seems that everything is geared towards 3in ducting hose. Does anyone have experience with brake ducting hose? Will 3in ducting collapse enough to fit on the 2.5in spindle?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Fixxxercask

Originally Posted by Fluid1
am I the only one who thinks the Titek cf intake ducts could be used doggystyle for this application
I think those would be good as long as the right size ducting is used. I just bought different ones because they were much cheaper and just as functional.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
GrandAm350

Originally Posted by mw9
it seems that everything is geared towards 3in ducting hose. Does anyone have experience with brake ducting hose? Will 3in ducting collapse enough to fit on the 2.5in spindle?
Yes, it *should.* You may need to cut a pleat in the tubing and the wire reinforcement and have it overlap a bit, then put the hose clamp around it. Our car actually has 3" hosing on it from when we were running the car without the brake ducts (needed the extra air since we didn't have the carbon duct to route it to!), so we'll be doing that to get them to fit.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM
halfrice

im running 4" ducting but had to remove the washer fluid resevoir
Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
maximariceboi

nice thread. subscribing
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM
halfrice

titek ducting is very small, maybe only 1.5" big on the inside, and you would need to buy 2, unless your talking about the hr duct, but either way its going to be about $200 just for those titek pieces, your better off getting the ones actually made for it for about $30/pc off summit/pegasus or similar site.

Last edited by halfrice; 02-04-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by halfrice
titek ducting is very small, maybe only 1.5" big on the inside, and you would need to buy 2, unless your talking about the hr duct, but either way its going to be about $200 just for those titek pieces, your better off getting the ones actually made for it for about $30/pc off summit/pegasus or similar site.
Pointless, without some kind of vortex generator you would never pull air from that location.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM
GrandAm350

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Pointless, without some kind of vortex generator you would never pull air from that location.

Don't know which location you're refering to, but you generally need someplace with lots of positive pressure, like the front bumper.

Under the car is generally a bad idea because that is a low pressure zone, so you're not going to get any air looking to escape the high pressure area into a NACA duct to the brake disc. Unless you create the flow with a strong fan.

And again, the trick to cooling your brakes is flow. Without flow, you're not providing a place for the air to escape to. That's why tubes which are directed at the face of the rotor or directly at a caliper at best succeed at wearing out one side of the brake pads faster than the other, and don't do a good job cooling the braking surfaces.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
350zzzgunnar

Well this is how nismo do it them selves
Name:  upperbrakeducts.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  nismobrakeductintake.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  57.9 KB

Quick Reply: Nissan FINALLY has a 350Z brake duct!