Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Nissan FINALLY has a 350Z brake duct!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandAm350
I'd love to see some of the HomeDepot solutions! Come on guys! Post 'em up so we can see them!
I wouldn't call it a Home Depot solution, but I did this a couple years back for my '06 with the standard brakes.

https://my350z.com/forum/members/732...e-ducting.html

If the ducts GrandAm350 were available back them I would have bought them in a second. Would have saved me a few hours work.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (06-21-2016)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
GrandAm350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that's going to be very effective.

Just common sense that you're not going to get much cooling that way because it's a low pressure zone.

For it to be effective, you're going to need to get the bottom edge down into the airflow, to collect air comeing straight at it.

A NACA duct is designed to pull air from a high pressure zone, not a low pressure zone.

I'll run this by the Motorsports guys and see if they've seen it in any catalog offered by NISMO in the US.

Last edited by GrandAm350; 02-08-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
GrandAm350

betamotorsports got the approach right. Nice.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
betamotorsports

I don't think that's going to be very effective.

With all due respect, and this isn't meant to offend, but that is a solution designed to seperate people from their money, not to provide brake cooling. Just common sense that you're not going to get much cooling that way because it's a low pressure zone.

For it to be effective, you're going to need to get the bottom edge down into the airflow, to collect air comeing straight at it.

A NACA duct is designed to pull air from a high pressure zone, not a low pressure zone.

I'll run this by the Motorsports guys and see if they've seen it in any catalog offered by NISMO in the US.
If you're talking about the NACA duct that goes on the undertray, yes that is the solution sold by Nissan Motorsports and is the approved SCCA T2 kit part number.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
GrandAm350

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
If you're talking about the NACA duct that goes on the undertray, yes that is the solution sold by Nissan Motorsports and is the approved SCCA T2 kit part number.
Then I stand corrected! Not too big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Nismo does sell it! My appologies to our friend in Sweden!

There are two reasons for doing something: engineering reasons and rules reasons.

SCCA does not allow addition openings in the front bumper for cooling ducts, so this might have been the only solution they could get approved in class. It's better than nothing.

And that might explain why the 350Zs overheat their brakes in SCCA racing.

But thanks for setting me straight.

We never considered that route because we were allowed to go to the front bumper in front of the radiator.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Don't know which location you're refering to, but you generally need someplace with lots of positive pressure, like the front bumper..
Those ducts mount to the side of theNissan Emblem close to the headlight on the front bumper, typically the ducts are used to provide cool air to the intake, but the factory aero on the car makes them pointless.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I believe I read that the T2 Z's are now allowed to route braking from the turn signal openings, but that doesn't seem to me to be overly effective. Perhaps racerbob4, bkleeman, or billstein87 can verify that.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
betamotorsports

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I believe I read that the T2 Z's are now allowed to route braking from the turn signal openings, but that doesn't seem to me to be overly effective. Perhaps racerbob4, bkleeman, or billstein87 can verify that.
Correct. As mentioned above, you cannot cut any openings in the fender and/or remove lights, turn signals, or reflectors. Those items all have to be in place and operable. Even the mods I did above to the finisher panels behind the grill are questionable per the SCCA T2 rules. Remember, the Touring category is essentially the same as Showroom Stock - with a few performance equalizer mods allowed.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
350zzzgunnar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I stand corrected! Not too big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Nismo does sell it! My appologies to our friend in Sweden!

There are two reasons for doing something: engineering reasons and rules reasons.

SCCA does not allow addition openings in the front bumper for cooling ducts, so this might have been the only solution they could get approved in class. It's better than nothing.

And that might explain why the 350Zs overheat their brakes in SCCA racing.

But thanks for setting me straight.

We never considered that route because we were allowed to go to the front bumper in front of the radiator.
Thanx for clarifying the entire context
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 AM
idrive_MD

Does anyone have experience with these from nissanraceshop.com:

Nismo GT2 brake duct kit with NACA ducts...$115/set.

I came across them via a google search for Nismo 350Z brake duct. Clearly a more simplified design, but much more affordable for the hobbiest track-goer.

I'm trying to outweigh the benefits of buying the still affordable Nismo CF duct kit or making my own of a similar design (which is obviously more effort on my part, but it wouldnt cost me much more than sourcing the hoses), but with this other kit as an option, $115 for an effective brake cooling setup is hard to pass up.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 AM
RandomHer0

^^ nice.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 AM
f-350z

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
Does anyone have experience with these from nissanraceshop.com:

Nismo GT2 brake duct kit with NACA ducts...$115/set.

I came across them via a google search for Nismo 350Z brake duct. Clearly a more simplified design, but much more affordable for the hobbiest track-goer.

I'm trying to outweigh the benefits of buying the still affordable Nismo CF duct kit or making my own of a similar design (which is obviously more effort on my part, but it wouldnt cost me much more than sourcing the hoses), but with this other kit as an option, $115 for an effective brake cooling setup is hard to pass up.
any idea on how they actually get the rotors cooled? didnt see any hoses directing the air to rotors

how about, well they gonna fit the CuztomZ undertray panel?

Last edited by f-350z; 02-10-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by f-350z
any idea on the actuall get the rotors cooled? didnt see any hoses directing the air to rotors

how about, well they gonna fit the CuztomZ undertray panel?
I dont have any experience with this product, but I would have to say that the customZ undertray would require some modification to work with any kit that is designed to work with the OEM undertray.

As for the cooling question...the hoses would have to be supplied by the owner of the car. The kit does not come with hoses, but it looks like it is meant to use 2.5" hose. Plus the kit comes with NACA ducts that mount somewhere (on the undertray I would guess), so connect the hoses between the NACA ducts and the brake ducts and viola...cool air for your brakes.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 AM
RandomHer0

Says it comes with hardware/hoses/ducts.

Good ****ing deal IMO

Includes install hardware and hoses etc. Cutting of lower engine cover is required to fit the included NACA airducts.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
Says it comes with hardware/hoses/ducts.

Good ****ing deal IMO
My bad, I overlooked the hoses part, it does make for a sweet deal. Right now I am trying to get more info and pictures of the system via email. I'll update as I learn more. I might just forgo waiting and order the kit, but I would still like more info and its not like I need them now.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 AM
RandomHer0

Im very interested as well. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
GrandAm350

Anyone have photos showing the other side?

Would love to see if the opening is bigger than a 1" diameter going to the center of the hub. Or if it just forces air against one side of the rotor.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 AM
idrive_MD

Anyone have photos showing the other side?

Would love to see if the opening is bigger than a 1" diameter going to the center of the hub. Or if it just forces air against one side of the rotor.

Looks to me like it is just applying air to one side of the rotor with a little bit of it being pulled to the center of the rotor. It also looks to use the dust shield mounting points if I were to guess, so it would entirely replace the OEM dust shield.

I contacted them hoping for more info and detailed pictures, but no luck yet. I'll try to give them a phone call shortly.

Last edited by idrive_MD; 02-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
RandomHer0

Agreed, if that's the case, not really what you want.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
f-350z

@idrive_MD, much appreciated sir..

Quick Reply: Nissan FINALLY has a 350Z brake duct!