Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

koni or tein

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:31 PM
denic79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni or tein

I'm debateing wether I should go with the tein basic dampner or just and koni shocks to my eibach setup. Can anybody give me some suggestions on what to do. I just want to get rid of the bounce and it doesn't handle as good as I want it too. What are the best sway bars to go with? I was thinking cusco!
Attached Thumbnails koni or tein-photo-19.jpg  
Old 06-11-2004, 12:14 AM
themartyr

I hae no clue about the shocks but you have a good height going with those eibachs. What size wheels and any rubbage?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:27 AM
denic79

The height is great, but the ride is s***. I have 19x9 on the front and 19x10.5 in the rear with 245/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rear.
Attached Thumbnails koni or tein-photo-24.jpg  
Old 06-11-2004, 12:44 AM
themartyr

Looks great! I ll be getting sway bars but that doesn't affect the smoothness of the ride does it?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:58 AM
wutafobb

tein basic..eibach is too soft, plus basic is coilover so it will match better than just random springs with koni.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:20 AM
mac

TEIN MAN ARE YOU NUTTS
Old 06-11-2004, 05:27 AM
SangWL

Originally posted by denic79
The height is great, but the ride is s***. I have 19x9 on the front and 19x10.5 in the rear with 245/35/19 front and 285/30/19 rear.
just out of curiousity where in MA are you at. It seems your either in the north shore or south shore.

sang
Old 06-11-2004, 06:56 AM
speedform

Hotchkis (sp.) bars are pretty good. Their adjustable and hollow to keep the weight down.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Phatmitzu

Tein. No doubt.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:43 AM
HanZolo

Originally posted by wutafobb
tein basic..eibach is too soft, plus basic is coilover so it will match better than just random springs with koni.
Koni's are adjustable which allows you to match the dampening with the spring rate. Stiffer isn't always better.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:47 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

denic79, haha I recognize those pics from the Z meet down the cape.. I just got a set of Tein basics yesterday (not installed yet) and have hotchkis sways coming (good luck to me gettin' them )..

I hate the bounce too and I have a serious pull to the right problem that the dealer can't seem to fix...tire feathering?... I only have 3.5K miles on my car so time will tell...I'm hopeing the new setup will kick ***.. fingers crossed

You are welcome to take a ride in my car at the next meet

--mike
Old 06-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by HanZolo
Koni's are adjustable which allows you to match the dampening with the spring rate. Stiffer isn't always better.
Tein Basics offer 60% greater stiffness with dampners that are matched to them. And the vast majority of lowering springs for the car are not truely in the performance realm being progressive so they can work with the oem dampners, which also explains why they offer up about a 23% maximim increase in spring rates over stock rates. koni's for this platform use less compression dampning then oem, not a compromise I care for. They are also single adjustable for rebound (rate of return), so you can't get back the compression dampning Koni took out. The Koni's will have a limitation on how much spring rate you can increase and still work effectively with the rebound turned up. It is most always a lower figure then Koni Quote's as the max poundage. No matter what it is likely that the Koni's offer better valving control then oem on oem springs. But my past experience is, rebound only adjustability does not yield great results when upping spring rates over oem. I could see the Koni's to a point, but less compression dampning and single only adjustability crossed them off my list before they even went into production.

On Tein Basic dampners, their preset dampner valving is the same as a Tein SS coilover set to 8 out of 16 adjustment levels (btw, Tein SS coilovers will be out for these cars soon).

Another thing to consider is that the Basics do offer more spring stiffness over oem. Oem spring rates are 314/342
Tein Basic (HKS Hypermax II use's same spring rates)
Front:504 Rear:504 F+61% R+43%
Transfers +18% to front

Last edited by Gsedan35; 06-11-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:56 PM
lawnmore

Default Soften it up

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Tein Basics offer 60% greater stiffness with dampners that are matched to them. And the vast majority of lowering springs for the car are not truely in the performance realm being progressive so they can work with the oem dampners, which also explains why they offer up about a 23% maximim increase in spring rates over stock rates. koni's for this platform use less compression dampning then oem, not a compromise I care for. They are also single adjustable for rebound (rate of return), so you can't get back the compression dampning Koni took out. The Koni's will have a limitation on how much spring rate you can increase and still work effectively with the rebound turned up. It is most always a lower figure then Koni Quote's as the max poundage. No matter what it is likely that the Koni's offer better valving control then oem on oem springs. But my past experience is, rebound only adjustability does not yield great results when upping spring rates over oem. I could see the Koni's to a point, but less compression dampning and single only adjustability crossed them off my list before they even went into production.

On Tein Basic dampners, their preset dampner valving is the same as a Tein SS coilover set to 8 out of 16 adjustment levels (btw, Tein SS coilovers will be out for these cars soon).

Another thing to consider is that the Basics do offer more spring stiffness over oem. Oem spring rates are 314/342
Tein Basic (HKS Hypermax II use's same spring rates)
Front:504 Rear:504 F+61% R+43%
Transfers +18% to front
You seem to have done a lot of homework,maybe you can shed some light on my problem. I have an 04 touring and I would like to improve the street ride. Do not track and don't want to lower,just smooth out the ride.I have talked to the people at Tein, they suggest High Tech or Type CS. Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:39 AM
jreiter

Default Re: koni or tein

I just want to get rid of the bounce and it doesn't handle as good as I want it too. What are the best sway bars to go with? I was thinking cusco!

Perhaps your tire sizes are contributing to your handling problems. (?) I see you are running a 40mm narrower tire up front than in back. That's a big difference and is surely contributing to understeer... if that's what you are experiencing. The stock 18" rims have a 20mm diff. If you are experiencing understeer, then you might want to consider narrower rear tires or widers front to help even out the difference. A lot of serious track guys have run the same width all the way around and say it's the best option for handling.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:49 PM
denic79

So whats the verdict on the tein basic, is it worth the money and how much of a difference is it. I'm so sick of the bounce, it is absolutly driveing me crazy.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Grey Matter

So whats the verdict on the tein basic, is it worth the money and how much of a difference is it. I'm so sick of the bounce, it is absolutly driveing me crazy.
I have the Tein Basic and like them very much. Was going to get springs and then shocks later, but went with the Basics instead. Only had to pay for one install rather then two, they are designed to work together (springs and shocks), are height adjustable, and rebuildable if required. They take care of the bounce and make the ride much more controlled. For the money they are good deal IMO.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:09 PM
350Mark

Ok... On my other car (Lexus IS300) I have the Tein Flex coilover installed. With the softest setting (16f/16r) it was pretty much smooth just like factory. When I changed the dampening to say (2f/2r), the ride stiffened up. I would get crazy bounce, especially on the highway. Now with the Z, It is definetly stiffer in stock form than my IS. So i'm assuming thats the reason for the bounce.
From what i've read, the Tein Comfort Spec will "soften" up the ride dramatically making it smoother. Will this get rid of the bounce or am I just stupid? Obviously you will lose handling for comfort. Decisions...Decisions...