Originally Posted by Youzzi
(5) Success

Oil Consumption: 0mm
Engine Install Date: 122207
Engine part number:10102 ac7mz
Mileage on Engine: 2200
Mileage on current oil change interval: 2200
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: oem nissan oil
Is your status a little too soon to be “Success” ? You are still on the first oil change and the rings have not even settled yet. Success is usually reserved for engines with at least a few more oil changes. IMO

“Success” on my take of it, is that you have at least 4k – 18k mi. But hey if that is what you want on the stats, you got it. Most folk will go with either “So Far So Good – Still Pending” or if consuming right off the bat, then Some OC – Still Pending” or “Still Consuming”

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
As sent to ZeeForce:

Oil Consumption: Some OC still pending
Engine Install Date: 01-07-08
Engine part number: 10102-AC7MZ
Mileage on Engine: 1878
Mileage on current oil change interval: 1770
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: Dino/Castrol GTX/10W40

EXTRA - This is my second 'V2'.

This one is eatin' too. Not tremediously, but it is. Appears to be in the 'No Good' area. More than 2mm within 0 to 500mi.
Again - Curtis (ZeeForce) - stellar job and thanks for doing it!
Thanks for the data. I take it then your actual oil consumption is 2mm for 1770 mi on this oil change?

I have also added under the V2 section that this is your 2nd V2.

If anyone else on the list is on their 2nd V2, please chime in.

06CPV35, thanks for chiming in, yeh my area gets in the 100's but not as cold as your area, maybe the lowest is 32.

-Curtis
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty & surprising results of OC Test at dealer.

A few weeks back I received in the mail my extended warranty 60 mo/100k mi, although it was for my other car the 05. Humm… time to cash in on their mistake. I called NNA and asked where is my ext warr, the dealer is not showing it on their computer? After a week NNA called back and asked if I also own a 05? Yep.. Oh we made a mistake and applied to the incorrect vehicle, so it was canceled for the 05 and applied on the 06. Oh well.

Yesterday I took the Z to the dealer for the first true oil change, the first batch of oil on the new engine, I had swapped out at 800 mi, this one was for a full 3500 mi. I have been checking my oil readings every week on Sat morning when the engine has sat overnight. My readings for the last three weeks were 10 mm down from the hash mark. At the dealer we let it sit for 30 min and then the technician, service advisor and myself checked it together. Mind you the car did not leave my site in the 30 min, therefore no hanky panky from the dealer. I even brought my own ruler (mm), the readings we got were 4mm. Politely I said I beg to differ, I have been checking it religiously every week and checked it this morning for a 10mm reading. They knew I have been meticulous and recorded it on my file as 10mm. I said you need not to, because it is in the OK range and it I find it drops to the NO Good range, then I will park and lock the car at the dealership overnight and we three check it in the morning when cold.

The point I am making, is if you are performing your own OC test along with the dealer and checking it yourself at home when it has sat overnight and the dealer gets a higher reading from the 30 min sit per the TSB, then park it there overnight and take the keys with you, and check it with them in the morning. This may help on borderline oil consumption tests, which differ at the dealer versus when cold and sat over night.

-Curtis

Last edited by ZeeForce; 01-27-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good info Curtis. It will be interesting to compare readings with my own and what the dealer measures.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Ataru074

Got the appointment with my dealer...tomorrow to start the OC test.
ok guys, I need help.. I have SEVERAL bolts on.. and you know is a pain to remove and put back..
so, suggestion on what keep and what remove:
headers
test pipes (no brainer.. stock cats will go in)
catback exhaust
pulleys
plenum spacer (I'll remove this one)
reflash... do I have to "flasback" ?

just to be on the save side if some nissan tech would like to complain.

Matteo
Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Ataru074
ok guys, I need help.. I have SEVERAL bolts on.. and you know is a pain to remove and put back..
headers
catback exhaust
pulleys

Matteo
Purely my opinion...but if it were mine, I would go back to oem as much as possible to take away any possible issues NNA could latch on to and deny replacement, or more it'd be the SM at your dealership approving or denying replacement with TSB guidelines. Prior to TSB, didn't approval come purely from NNA? Don't quote me on that.

I believe cat back exhausts are not an issue and air intakes too, though I went back to oem air box for testing. My dealer is mod friendly, so probably could've left mine on, but it was no big deal to switch back to oem on that, so I did. Excellent repore with SM is very important, especally in your situation imo.

A friend I know with the Orisis tune is re flashing back to oem and will flash back his tune maps when his replacement is all said, done and has a sucessful VQ with no OC. His thoughts were the same as yours around that reason.

In a healthy VQ, all your mods wouldn't be a problem and not create OC issues in a healthy VQ imo, but it would be another battle...legal one too, to prove NNA wrong with the Magnuson Moss Act in play. Better to keep it simple without that if possible.

Bottom line...it really depends on the relationship you have with your SM.
If your not sure around that, de-mod to play it safe, though truly a pain in your case.

At the very least, remove non smog approved mods. That might include your headers, unfortunately. Depends on which state you live in.
Pullys...ok I'd think, as long as they're not the underdriven type.

You've already made obvious decisions on your other mods, which I agree with.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-28-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
jmaldonado

I just picked up my Z on Friday with the V2 replacement. It was a V2 confirmed by the invoice. I was amazed at the cost of this engine. My invoice was just under $9,000 (covered by Nissan of course). When I went to pick up my car, I went up to the counter siqned for it, and someone brought my car up. That was it. I would have expected someone to great me, and tell me what I should do, and what I shouldnt do....but no. The service manager I was dealing with was out of town at the time, but still I expected someone to talk to me. If I had just paid $9,000 out of my pocket for a new engine, and no one came out to talk to me when I picked it up, I would be upset.

The car feels good, and may be a little stronger. But as far as break in goes....I havent followed any break-in procedures....why should I? So in 25,000 miles I can have the same problem. If this engine has the same problem, I need to know now. This is Nissans last shot with me. My lawyer and I are waiting to see what happens. If this engine turns out to be a consumer...they will buy it back.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
TuckandTwist

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

... Excellent repore with SM is very important, especally in your situation ...

... Bottom line...it really depends on the relationship you have with your SM ...
Bingo. Enough cannot be said for those 2 statements ... He/she is your advocate for getting it done. If you lose mindshare with him/her you're pretty much SOL.

My Z had aftermarket headers, K&N intake, the stock exhaust had been removed and put back on, and the plenum spacer had been taken off and put back on and was held in place with the wrong hex head bolts. The mechanic noted all this on my work order before the SM called NNA. At this point I thought I was screwed and was being hung out to dry. I self-depricated and told him what a dumba$$ I was for buying a used car and not having a compression test run on it. I more or less told him I screwed up and now I'll have to pay the price of a new engine.

But to my complete surprise the SM contacted NNA and negotiated with them for 3 days. NNA had them performing various tests on the engine during this time and - bang - then they got it approved. Blew me away.

So ... another bottom line is this: the dealer has to jump some hoops to get approval from NNA to do the work. Grease the palms wherever needed to keep that progressing - toss in some self deprication to make them pity you. If you pi$$ anyone off at the dealership you're pretty much screwed. They won't go thru all that trouble for someone that's beating on the counter threatening to sue.

Needless to say - when I pick up my car - I slid my SM 2 crispy 100's. He saved me a fortune!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
luvZcar

Excellent repore with SM is very important, especally in your situation,
this is so true and mine helped me out alot, got to say he is a great guy,thanks Tony
Old 01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by Ataru074
headers
catback exhaust
pulleys

Matteo
In my case, I did not want to take any chances and had my mods removed.
I felt at ease when taking it to the dealer.

However, I started my OC testing prior to the TSB release.

Best of luck!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
06CPV35

My SM and I are already on each others 'A' lists from a past resolved situation, which is a great feeling knowing what lies ahead.

Awesome experiences I just read about owners with mods and their SM. +100!!

Already 4 mm down with only 430mi since oil service. My consumption rate worsens as the miles continue on the oil. At least with my VQ it does and has for the past two years of self monitoring. At 1000 miles for dealer check, I should be ~10-12mm and historically, I've been at 24mm between 2300-2600mi.

Will be jumping on the V2 bandwagon soon folks from my oem VQ. Then can contribute to ZeeForce's V2 data stats....finally! And hopefully label it as a successful V2 :crossing fingers:
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM
showtypeZ

Well, I just had my first oil change after my engine change and they said the oil level was perfect...So it looks like success with the new engine. My dealership asked me if I had anymore mods I wanted installed while the engine was out. So, at least I know they could care less what mods I do to it as long as the car parts don't break because of them.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
ZeeForce

Purely my opinion...but if it were mine, I would go back to oem as much as possible to take away any possible issues NNA could latch on to and deny replacement, or more it'd be the SM at your dealership approving or denying replacement with TSB guidelines.

Prior to TSB, didn't approval come purely from NNA?

Bottom line...it really depends on the relationship you have with your SM.
+1 +1

A lot weighed on the dealer’ recommendation, after that it went to the board at NNA for final approval.

Originally Posted by TuckandTwist
So ... another bottom line is this: the dealer has to jump some hoops to get approval from NNA to do the work. Grease the palms wherever needed to keep that progressing - toss in some self deprication to make them pity you. If you pi$$ anyone off at the dealership you're pretty much screwed. They won't go thru all that trouble for someone that's beating on the counter threatening to sue.

Needless to say - when I pick up my car - I slid my SM 2 crispy 100's. He saved me a fortune!
Ditto!

I have spoken with many NNA regional reps and asked the question many times and got the same answer every time. Q: How much of a role does the SM at the dealership play in getting an approval for an engine replacement?
A: We (NNA) only speak to the customer when there is a problem that the dealer cannot resolve to your satisfaction. The dealer has day to day face to face contact with the customer and plays a major role. Of course this was prior to the release of the TSB. But a little good smoozing can go a long way. Do not burn your bridges.

2 crispy 100’s? Will go along way with the SM and family, dinner out, movie and some left over for a rainy day.

Originally Posted by luvZcar
Excellent repore with SM is very important, especally in your situation,
this is so true and mine helped me out a lot.
Same here, now I feel bad only slipping my SM a 50, but hey he got to drive my car home and park it in front of house for the neighbors to gloat over. That has got to be worth something.

If you want to make good with the SM, invite him over for your Super Bowl bash, he will probably turn you down, but it’s the invite that counted.

Already 4 mm down with only 430mi since oil service.
Get that baby into the dealer to record the 4mm, that is already at the No Good mark. I would not wait for the 1k mi come back then. There TSB has it down to 2mm within 0-500 mi. Plus you already have OC readings recorded with the dealer, so it’s not like you are just starting the OC.

Originally Posted by jmaldonado
I just picked up my Z on Friday with the V2 replacement. It was a V2 confirmed by the invoice. I was amazed at the cost of this engine. My invoice was just under $9,000 (covered by Nissan of course). When I went to pick up my car, I went up to the counter siqned for it, and someone brought my car up. That was it. I would have expected someone to great me, and tell me what I should do, and what I shouldnt do....but no. The service manager I was dealing with was out of town at the time, but still I expected someone to talk to me. If I had just paid $9,000 out of my pocket for a new engine, and no one came out to talk to me when I picked it up, I would be upset..
Congrats, I will send you a PM, to get data for the V2 Install Stats List.

That is just wrong, I would make it a point to look up the SM as soon as he gets back.

Originally Posted by showtypeZ
Well, I just had my first oil change after my engine change and they said the oil level was perfect...So it looks like success with the new engine.
Congrats on the new engine. I am sorry to say it’s far from success, if it’s only your first oil change, just not enough miles yet. dbasal did not start seeing a lot of oil consumption until he hit 11k-15k mi. His like a lot of us are using "So Far So Good - Still Pending. We are in this for the long haul on the stats. But hey it's your call, you can call it a success, I am just the Stat's man. The list is ongoing and updated, so it can always be changed on the next update..

I will send you a PM to gather some data for the V2 Install Stats List.

Q: Were you checking the oil yourself during this first oil change interval?

Cheers
-Curtis

Last edited by ZeeForce; 01-28-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Get that baby into the dealer to record the 4mm, that is already at the No Good mark. I would not wait for the 1k mi come back then. There TSB has it down to 2mm within 0-500 mi. Plus you already have OC readings recorded with the dealer, so it’s not like you are just starting the OC.

-Cheers
Curtis
Actually just starting testing officially. They know my consumption only verbally and is noted as such in their system....'customer states'....= unofficial.

I don't mind waiting a little longer, due to the fact that it consumes at a faster rate as the miles click away, which I have theories as to why after seeing my UOA results. That way if there's a small difference in their readings compared to mine, I don't have to worry about being so close to borderline 'ok' status. Heck, I've waited 25K miles and two years, what's 600 more miles to wait and be more qualified in the 'no good' range. Piece of mind for me

Plus it will coincide with and represent more accurately, my self monitoring results for the past two years. Which btw, I have given to my SM who was very appreciative of that OC history of a oem VQ. He said that's a big help and will pass it on to one of their master techs who was previously on the engineering team that creates TSB's for NNA and Infiniti. He's still in contact with the engineering team. Rubbin elbows Also have UOA raw numbers with interesting results (will use that if I need to rub elbows harder down the road)
I help my SM and engineers...SM helps me...win win.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
mgnchakar

Just dropped my Z off for first v2 (replacement of v1 at 21k miles). I kept complaining about it since i bought the car but lagged and never followed through on the consumption tests. The SM was really cool about it, no hassles. He already had ordered the motor after my initial oil change to initiate the consumption test. I thought they were gonna order it after checking the oil level after 1k; but they didnt even check. gave me a rental. said it could take up to 2 weeks. 3 previous Z motors were replaced...no complaints after. but it hink its too early to tell.

Your relationship with the SM is important, no doubt. They can do a lot of vouching on your behalf. hopefully this new motor is a keeper.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
ZeeForce

… which I have theories as to why after seeing my UOA results.

Heck, I've waited 25K miles and two years, what's 600 more miles…

…one of their master techs who was previously on the engineering team that creates TSB's for NNA and Infiniti. He's still in contact with the engineering team. Rubbin elbows Also have UOA raw numbers with interesting results (will use that if I need to rub elbows harder down the road)
I help my SM and engineers...SM helps me...win win.
What theories?
Ahh…a couple of Sat night runs.
I would like to see your old engine as a cut-away mounted in a glass case at the dealership’ training room… Win Win
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by mgnchakar
Just dropped my Z off for first v2 (replacement of v1 at 21k miles).

... I thought they were gonna order it after checking the oil level after 1k; but they didnt even check.

Your relationship with the SM is important, no doubt. They can do a lot of vouching on your behalf. hopefully this new motor is a keeper.
Congrats, I will PM you when you get it back so you can be added to the Stats List.

The TSB did wonders, back in the day we could not even get the time of day from the dealers on this issue. I am waiting for someone to say they called the dealer and the engine was ordered, site unseen.

$$$ in their pockets in a time when the dealership new car sales is slumped due to the economy. You can bet like my dealer was hopping last Sat with so much volume in their service dept. 7500-9000 in their pocket for a engine replacement. Surpised they are not giving out "Tell A Friend and receive $100"
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'm on my second SERIES of oil consumption tests.

Here's the synopsis from the first dealership-

I went in for an oil change strictly to start the oil testing process. I found out after my 1k miles visit that they did not seal anything, so the first 1k didn't count. Then, they "topped off" the oil after saying I was 2 quarts low and sealed everything.

Oil sputtered out of the dipstick and would get all over the engine and burn off. It ends up they filled the oil to over 6 quarts (I found this out later, as the engine was sealed and I couldn't check it).

Brought it back and they told me it had exactly 5 quarts. Of course it did, since my car burnt off the excess. I drove it for another 2k miles, checked it before I brought it in and it was 1.5 quarts low. They check, said it was under half a quart low and that burning 1 quart of oil per 1k miles is normal.

So I went to another dealership this morning who is 20 times more professional all around. Talked with the tech, went over everything in the service bay, it was great. I'm hoping for the best.

I tried to go the BBB route but I was declined due to the miles on the car, which is 53k. They said I was past the manufacturer's stated service limits or something along those lines. Whatever.

I just want to stop burning oil.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
mgnchakar

did anyone get an extended powertrain warranty after the first engine replacement (v1 -> v2)? should I be fighting for that?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by mgnchakar
did anyone get an extended powertrain warranty after the first engine replacement (v1 -> v2)? should I be fighting for that?

Yes people have. My lawyer recently sent my demand letter in saying that NNA is on the hook for over 100,000 when including compensatory damages. Im hoping NNA will give me the extended warranty and enough cash to go FI. My service records barely fit in a standard usps envelope. 3 engines in my car including the v2 and all of them are lemons.

On a side note a big so cal shop has been talking with NNA about allowing owners to have their motors built at this shop in return for giving up their powertrain warranty. If anything becomes of this I will let everyone know. Stroker kit anyone?

Anyone in my situation who lives in California should contact Norman Taylor. He helped write CA's lemon law and holds many records for damages.

www.normantaylor.com

absolutely no money required up front. You dont win you pay nothing. The majority of their cases are settled out of court.

Last edited by 9kFever; 01-31-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Well, I'm on my second SERIES of oil consumption tests.

Here's the synopsis from the first dealership-

I went in for an oil change strictly to start the oil testing process. I found out after my 1k miles visit that they did not seal anything, so the first 1k didn't count. Then, they "topped off" the oil after saying I was 2 quarts low and sealed everything.

Oil sputtered out of the dipstick and would get all over the engine and burn off. It ends up they filled the oil to over 6 quarts (I found this out later, as the engine was sealed and I couldn't check it).

Brought it back and they told me it had exactly 5 quarts. Of course it did, since my car burnt off the excess. I drove it for another 2k miles, checked it before I brought it in and it was 1.5 quarts low. They check, said it was under half a quart low and that burning 1 quart of oil per 1k miles is normal.

So I went to another dealership this morning who is 20 times more professional all around. Talked with the tech, went over everything in the service bay, it was great. I'm hoping for the best.

I tried to go the BBB route but I was declined due to the miles on the car, which is 53k. They said I was past the manufacturer's stated service limits or something along those lines. Whatever.

I just want to stop burning oil.
such BS...should have showed them the tsb...1000 miles or less and you only need 6mm of consumption which is under 1/3 of a quart. 1001 miles and it 1/3 of a quart.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion