Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Blue_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, I just wanted to share my experiences so far with the new V2 after ~400 miles.

So far, I've noticed that my V2 is:

A lot smoother at accelerating than my V1

Deeper sounding exhaust than my V1
I have nismo exhaust and popcharger, and before the V2 all I could hear was the whistling from my popcharger and barely could hear my nismo. I was actually considering putting my intake back to stock because it was annoying me so much.
Either I'd hear the whistling or I'd hear a lot of straining and whining from my V1 when I'd accelerate in the lower gears. Now with the V2 installed, you can barely hear any whistle from the popcharger, engine stain is also eliminated, and my nismo exhaust with the signature VQ tone takes a front seat. Only this time, deeper than before.

Also for some reason now, shifting is also like butta

So far I'm enjoying my car all over again, I'll update you guys after breakin.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nismoZomsin
ok. so I'm scheduled for my test diag/setup for this monday morning...I was wondering if I should remove/switchout my JWT-pop charger & HKS exhaust before I bring it in, will it make a difference?

–Have you guys (those who got the switch) gone in mod'd or stock?
Like said, varies from dealer to dealer. Pop chrgr and cat back exhaust should be no problem. I left my Injen exhaust on, but went back to stock air box. Probably could've left my pop chrgr on during testing, but it was easy to switch that back to stock so that's what I did.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
nismoZomsin

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Like said, varies from dealer to dealer. Pop chrgr and cat back exhaust should be no problem. I left my Injen exhaust on, but went back to stock air box. Probably could've left my pop chrgr on during testing, but it was easy to switch that back to stock so that's what I did.
sweet, thanks for your input

–I got some advice from ppl on forums and some random friends, and I agree, gonna swap out the pop charger with the stock box....as soon as I can find it
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Blue_Z

sweet, thanks for your input

–I got some advice from ppl on forums and some random friends, and I agree, gonna swap out the pop charger with the stock box....as soon as I can find it
I brought mine in with both popcharger and exhaust. I don't think you have to sweat anything.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Originally Posted by Blue_Z
I brought mine in with both popcharger and exhaust. I don't think you have to sweat anything.
Spacer and test pipes??
Ive also got a stillen intake and X02 TD but would probably leave those on.

...Not to mention that i need a new tranny too (This will be my 4th at 30K miles)
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
nismoZomsin

k so I went to nissan this morning for a OC test n left in a GT-R.

...and then the sales rep begged me to go back to the dealer since my OC setup was finished

but ya, so in 1,000mi I'm due back but they said I can come back anytime I feel like for a "pit-stop" in case I'm right about my car eating up about a half a quart every 200ish miles :/
Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
antennahead

Had my 4th oil change today on the V2. Those of you who have read my earlier posts know it has gone something like this, oil change #:

1. 1/3 to 1/2 quart
2. 3/4 quart
3. was barely, if that, showing on the tip of the dipstick, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4
4. 1 quart (today's oil change)

It has now used less this change than the previous one, no change in driving habits or routine. I checked it about 2 weeks ago at 3000 miles and it was right at the "L" mark. Checked it this morning just before I cranked it and it was still at "L", now at 4000 miles. Interesting......... I wonder if it is finally seating and moving towards less consumption. This would be a little over 15,000 total on the new engine. I am tired of all this. If it never uses any more than 1 quart in 4000 miles I could live with this. The engine runs great and is strong and smooth. I am going to be very interested in the next oil change to see if the trend is indeed getting better. Will monitor and report. Thanks.

John
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Nismo1182

Originally Posted by antennahead
Had my 4th oil change today on the V2. Those of you who have read my earlier posts know it has gone something like this, oil change #:

1. 1/3 to 1/2 quart
2. 3/4 quart
3. was barely, if that, showing on the tip of the dipstick, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4
4. 1 quart (today's oil change)

It has now used less this change than the previous one, no change in driving habits or routine. I checked it about 2 weeks ago at 3000 miles and it was right at the "L" mark. Checked it this morning just before I cranked it and it was still at "L", now at 4000 miles. Interesting......... I wonder if it is finally seating and moving towards less consumption. This would be a little over 15,000 total on the new engine. I am tired of all this. If it never uses any more than 1 quart in 4000 miles I could live with this. The engine runs great and is strong and smooth. I am going to be very interested in the next oil change to see if the trend is indeed getting better. Will monitor and report. Thanks.

John
Mines down 18mm from full after I brought it in for a OC test and the tech filled it back up and told me to come back in 1000 miles. I came back after 1400 miles and thats what he measured it at.

Almost 5000 miles on my V2.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Nismo1182

Originally Posted by Blue_Z
hey guys, I just wanted to share my experiences so far with the new V2 after ~400 miles.

So far, I've noticed that my V2 is:

A lot smoother at accelerating than my V1

Deeper sounding exhaust than my V1
I have nismo exhaust and popcharger, and before the V2 all I could hear was the whistling from my popcharger and barely could hear my nismo. I was actually considering putting my intake back to stock because it was annoying me so much.
Either I'd hear the whistling or I'd hear a lot of straining and whining from my V1 when I'd accelerate in the lower gears. Now with the V2 installed, you can barely hear any whistle from the popcharger, engine stain is also eliminated, and my nismo exhaust with the signature VQ tone takes a front seat. Only this time, deeper than before.

Also for some reason now, shifting is also like butta

So far I'm enjoying my car all over again, I'll update you guys after breakin.
Mine was smooth for the first 1000 miles. Perfect idle and everything. After that I noticed it would misfire/studder a bit at idle. Probably due to the OC.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Derek07

Got my car back today, new V2 installed. Everything looks good so far, hope she holds up! Nice to finally have it done.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Mkriebs

Thursday I go in for the OC test. I hope it comes back negative... although a new engine would be nice. But, then I have to go through the pain of having to break it in. I wish they would throw a new tranny in with a new engine... or jsut buy my car back.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
nismoZomsin

Originally Posted by Mkriebs
Thursday I go in for the OC test. I hope it comes back negative... although a new engine would be nice. But, then I have to go through the pain of having to break it in. I wish they would throw a new tranny in with a new engine... or jsut buy my car back.

cheers to that!...i dont wanna drive a POS for a week while my ride gets a transplant, even though i'll prolly save $$$ on gas

UPDATE: 50mi into OC testing, new engine noises

–quick question: did anyone get their built-in shift light set to 4.5rpm as a part of the OC test?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

cheers to that!...i dont wanna drive a POS for a week while my ride gets a transplant, even though i'll prolly save $$$ on gas

–quick question: did anyone get their built-in shift light set to 4.5rpm as a part of the OC test?
No. I set it myself to 3.7k. The light flashes on 500 before the setting. It goes solid when the setting is reached.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Mkriebs

Why would they change the shift light?! I am gonna rev the **** out of the engine to cause as much blow-by as possible. Or... not.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek07
Got my car back today, new V2 installed. Everything looks good so far, hope she holds up! Nice to finally have it done.
drive it like you stole it... make sure she will handle years of abuse right out of the box.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a first I've heard on a dealer doing that....dealers lol.
Set it to what you want or ignore. TSB says nothing about that.
Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
drive it like you stole it... make sure she will handle years of abuse right out of the box.
Let us know how things are going with yours in 15K, 30K, 60K etc proving longevity on that aggressive method. It'll be good proven info to know down the road with these V1/V2's.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Derek07

Dealer is fantastic with me, really working with me through all of this. I am going to go with the Nissan break-in, this being my first V2 (staying optimistic). If however it fails down the road, I may change that strategy. But for now I will give them their fair shake first.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Id have to dig back through here to get my part number of my engine...but I believe it ended with a 1A of something like that...it wasnt the same as everyone esles.

I have 20K since the new motor not a teaspoon has been lost..see my sig for how I treat my car... I treat it like it was designed for.... why baby a freggin sports car? They maxed it out on the dyno when they did the final assembly anyways...why break it in under conditions you will never drive like again.

Drive the car like you would as if nothing was ever changed or wrong...I waited 499 miles....not 5K miles. Hell if its burning oil I want to know at 1000 miles not 5,000 miles. At five thousand miles I would have a 3rd motor installed and on the second OC test by that point!

This is total crap that they went the cheap route when pushing our cars from 280 hp to 300... now they need to pay for it. Why wait all that time and miles to find out at 6,000 miles (1st 1,000 mile OC test) thats its low? My friend has 30,000 miles on his and he is on his 3rd engine and it still burns oil. Window went out on him yesterday not to include a random car wont turn over if over 60 degrees for two years!

He is looking at Nissan sponsoring a built motor!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE! worked for me! heat those freggin pistons up to the max to seal the deal!

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 08-20-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Nismo1182

Mine went back to 3k but thats because they had to disconnect the batter during the swap so a few things were reset.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Derek07

Shizzil, they don't dyno every vehicle off the assembly line....not cost effective.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion