Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to the great information found on this thread I started my OC testing today. Hoping for the best! Did any of you guys paid for the oil change during the testing? Just curious.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
nismoZomsin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh thanks you guys imma turn that **** off tonite, my stupid peripherals catch all that blinking crap n it makes me nuts.

UPDATE: 105mi: sounds like i'm low bout half a quart already.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Thanks to the great information found on this thread I started my OC testing today. Hoping for the best! Did any of you guys paid for the oil change during the testing? Just curious.
You need to read the TSB to be sure if you pay or Nissan pays. TSB lists claim codes for oil/filter service as well as checking/topping off with oil during testing on last page. Think I remember dealer will only do oil/filter change using that claim code only if level is below qt mark or more when you brought in to start test.

My testing started before TSB release, so I had to pay for oil/filter service to start testing regardless of level when my test started.
Originally Posted by nismoZomsin
ahh thanks you guys imma turn that **** off tonite, my stupid peripherals catch all that blinking crap n it makes me nuts.

UPDATE: 105mi: sounds like i'm low bout half a quart already.
Did they do the initial 5.5qt fill? Sometimes dealers forget that and only fill 5qts = will be .5 low off the bat with a fresh VQ.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Derek07

For those of us who have the V2 installed, has anyone been able to do a stock dyno run on it yet?

Would still be nice to see stock hp/tq from the V1 and the V2 with no bolt-ons, because it is definetly different.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Derek07
Shizzil, they don't dyno every vehicle off the assembly line....not cost effective.
true but I still dont understand why not heating the engine up to max temps immediated is bad....its like if the piston rings never heat up..how can they seat properly....

what do I know...I just know I beat on my car daily....after the new engine I waited 490 miles just for leaks and bad install possibilities...then it was off to the races...havent dropped a tear of oil yet!

even though my car is OK I still have a hard time with the lack of MASSIVE RECALL from Infiniti....they can always use the old blocks to make 37s or test motors for engineering water pumps, oil pumps or many other things they screw up on.

lol
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Mkriebs

Just started my OC test today. the dealer actually scratched a line where the oil was at so they had a starting point. The service adviser told me that I shouldn't check my oil. I said "ok" when I really meant "yeah, right".

I am the kind of person who likes to keep an eye on things... especially when i know there is potential for a problem.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 PM
06dieselZ

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Did they do the initial 5.5qt fill? Sometimes dealers forget that and only fill 5qts = will be .5 low off the bat with a fresh VQ.
Wait, it's 5.5qt to fill up every oil change? I've always put 5qt and it seems a bit low
Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 PM
nismoZomsin

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
Wait, it's 5.5qt to fill up every oil change? I've always put 5qt and it seems a bit low
my dealer told me it was 4.5...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Nismo1182

Sooo anyone hear about V2's being refurbished motors?

I went back to my dealer today since the service manager didnt call me to see what they were going to do since my V2 failed the OC test. Turns out the manager got fired for some crap. Well the new guy in charge told me the motor that was put in my car was refurbished even though it clearly states in my paper work its a V2.

Hes like "yea the motor that was put in there was a refurbished engine rebuilt to factory Nissan specs"

So yea I wasnt too happy hearing that it wasnt a brand spankin new engine put into my car. Plus the fact that they messed up the OC work order from 2 weeks ago and I gotta do ANOTHER OC test.

Going to call NNA later today and see how theyre gonna handle this situation because im pretty tired of it all already.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:00 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
He said initial fill-up. Not every change. Fresh from the factory, bone dry, the engine requres 5.5qts.

"Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Did they do the initial 5.5qt fill? Sometimes dealers forget that and only fill 5qts = will be .5 low off the bat with a fresh VQ."
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM
drive4fun

Originally Posted by Nismo1182

I went back to my dealer today since the service manager didnt call me to see what they were going to do since my V2 failed the OC test. Turns out the manager got fired for some crap. Well the new guy in charge told me the motor that was put in my car was refurbished even though it clearly states in my paper work its a V2.

Hes like "yea the motor that was put in there was a refurbished engine rebuilt to factory Nissan specs"

So yea I wasnt too happy hearing that it wasnt a brand spankin new engine put into my car. Plus the fact that they messed up the OC work order from 2 weeks ago and I gotta do ANOTHER OC test.

Going to call NNA later today and see how theyre gonna handle this situation because im pretty tired of it all already.

Interesting.. I wonder if the engines are actually refurbished V1's.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Nismo1182

Thats what I was thinking. I mean the guy didnt have to say all that. He could of just lied to me and said "yea these motors are brand new from Nissan"

But I ask him if he was sure and he was positive the were refurbished.

So rebuilt V1 with new internals and PCV valve and then restamp it with a new part# = V2...Hmmm...
Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Nismospeed4life

^^ Most likely that may very well be the reason why most V2 are still having OC issues.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Nismospeed4life

I am really begining to hate Nissan. I should have bought the Lotus Elise when I had the chance!

Last edited by Nismospeed4life; 08-23-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Nismo1182

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
I am really begining to hate Nissan. I sould have bought the Lotus Elise when I had the chance!
Tell me about it. I shoulda bought a C5 ZO6. Next car im getting 06 CTSV though.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:11 PM
06CPV35

Yup....highly speculated/basically proven long time ago from another source I know. Was completely pissed off when I learned that, but what can you do. You just reconfirmed these are (what I call them) re-manufactured VQ's. Isn't that special

So rebuilt V1 with new internals and PCV valve and then restamp it with a new part# = V2...Hmmm...
They don't stamp the pt #. There is an unique engine # on each V2 tho. Took pictures of my # on block before swap and can confirm it's not the part # for these V2's. Plus no evidence of filled/grinded/etc with new number stamped. My paperwork listed both generic part and my unique engine # which matched my photo.

Always wished I had the source to cross ref mine to see if it belonged to a different registered VIN or find it's past history. Probably never know who owned it before me...oh well it is what it is.

Heard from a little master mech birdie that they did something to the valve stem seals in addition with what you mentioned

Last edited by 06CPV35; 08-24-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: small change in wording
Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
antennahead

Yup....highly speculated/basically proven long time ago from another source I know. Was completely pissed off when I learned that, but what can you do. You just reconfirmed these are (what I call them) re-manufactured VQ's. Isn't that special

They don't stamp the pt #. There is an unique engine # on each V2 tho. Took pictures of my # on block before swap and can confirm it's not the part # for these V2's. Plus no evidence of filled/grinded/etc with new number stamped. My paperwork listed both generic part and my unique engine # which matched my photo.

Always wished I had the source to cross ref mine to see if it belonged to a different registered VIN or find it's past history. Probably never know who owned it before me...oh well it is what it is.

Heard from a little master mech birdie that they did something to the valve stem seals in addition with what you mentioned

"Heard from a little master mech birdie that they did something to the valve stem seals in addition with what you mentioned"

This is what the head mechanic at my dealership said. Supposedly the regional rep told him that the problem was the valve stem seals. I have one of the early V2s, and I am not sure if this change to the valve stem seals was done on the early ones. Mine has still been using some oil.

John
Old 08-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Nismo1182

If more people knew about this then the **** would hit the fan harder.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:29 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell me about it. I shoulda bought a C5 ZO6. Next car im getting 06 CTSV though.
me too but I want the new model....2009...

obviously used...lol maybe 45K used in 4 years! LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Nismo1182

So I called NNA and filed/left a complaint. Theyre like "we cant help you but we can file the complaint if you want". Seemed kinda pointless. But whatever.

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
me too but I want the new model....2009...

obviously used...lol maybe 45K used in 4 years! LOL
I WISH I could afford the 2009 model. Maybe in a few years too lol.

For now I would get a 05/05 and have enough left over for heads, cam and other bolt ons.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion