Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super Black
A couple of weeks ago when I started my car it made a very loud knocking noise (almost the sound of a blown engine) so I had it towed to the closest dealership. Of course, the service guy tried to pull a fast one on me --- he was telling me that my oil is low, that they didn't have records of oil changes, and that my oil is pretty dirty. So pretty much he was implying that I'm not taking good care of my car. So to cut the BS, I told him that I'm a member of a car forum and I am aware of the oil consumption problem. Right after saying this, his response was "ok, we'll further diagnose the problem and call you back". A couple hours later, I heard back from them saying that they will put me on a 1K M oil consumption test. It's been 2 weeks and I've only accumulated 200 miles. My commute to work is only 8 miles back and forth. I'm worried about driving my car long distance because of the loud ticking noise on the engine and I don't want to pay a lot for towing (I prefer to get my engine replaced (hopefully) at the same dealership I had it diagnosd, it's the closest to home and I want to avoid going through the BS again).

I want NNA buy back my car or replace it with a new car!!! I've had my car for almost 3 years now, I only have 26K miles on it. On top of this, this is not my first trip to the dealership for a major car problem. At 13K miles, my crank shaft position sensor went bad. I took it to them and they replaced it. At the same time I also told them about the rattle coming from my rear end, they said they lubed "it" and the noise did go away.... But now it's back AGAIN!

I'm so pissed off!!!!. First the crankshaft position sensor, and the rattle in the rear end, now it's the engine, so what's next????

Oh did I mention that the freaking dealer didn't even give me a loaner or a free rent-a-car?
nissan sucks man. exchange the z while it still has low miles and get something else.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
rickyislaZy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am about 600 miles into my new V2 engine, too early to tell if it is still eating oil.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 AM
jason350z

[QUOTE=rickyislaZy]Hey guys I am about 600 miles into my new V2 engine, too early to tell if it is still eating oil.[/QUOTE

when did you find out you were getting a v2 engine before or after installed. did you have to request the v2.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
mgnchakar

anyone using synthetic oil with the v2? after how many miles on the motor did you start using it? any issues?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM
06CPV35

Super Black and jason350z...
Go to first page of this thread and download TSB. It will answer a lot of your questions
Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by mgnchakar
anyone using synthetic oil with the v2? after how many miles on the motor did you start using it? any issues?
I am still using dino Castrol GTX 5w-30. If you take a look at the first page Stats List you will see who is using what oil. It’s pretty much a personal choice/ preference, some have used it from the start and some are waiting for xxx miles to build up on the engine before switching to synthetic.

For me, the engine should not consume on dino oil, which is what I am testing to see if there is going to be any OC. If none after 15k miles, then I will consider switching, but at this point I am sticking with dino to see what happens with the V2.

Again this is my opinion, I do know of a V2 owner on the tech site that had switched from dino to synth right after the 1200 mi manfucture break-in. And his is consuming but I do not think it's from running synthetic. There is a lot of big name manufactures on high end models that come with synthetic out of the factory. Check out Mobil 1 website, I think that is where I heard it from.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 AM
zyou8er

How hard is it to put the new motor in he 03-06, will it bolt right in? i know the EFI and Ecu needs to be replaced, but im wondering if the motor will drop right in, Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by zyou8er
How hard is it to put the new motor in he 03-06, will it bolt right in? i know the EFI and Ecu needs to be replaced, but im wondering if the motor will drop right in, Thanks.
Don't know. Haven't read anyone attempting that yet.
I just suggested over in NorCal section OC thread on Driver, that Nissan retrofit the HR block with maybe heads too to our configuration and we'll deem it as the V3. Then be done with this plague for crying out loud. HR block to my knowledge has no reports of OC. Hope Nissan engineers troll these forums for customer thoughts on a 100% fix.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
accordhybrid

I have had my engine replaced in my G35 and have about 1800 miles on the engine. It was broke in per Infinitis owners manual. I checked the oil this past weekend and according to the TSB I was 13mm low on oil. I have contacted the dealer that did the replacement.

I have a V2 engine.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
jason350z

i droped my car to get a new engine today. it's my first replacement and it will be the v2.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Template:

(1) So Far So Good – Still Pending
(2) Some OC – Still Pending
(3) Still Pending
(4) Still Consuming
(5) Success

Oil Consumption:
Engine Install Date: 4/27/07
Engine part number: 10102- AC7M1
Mileage on Engine: 42,222
Mileage on current oil change interval:58,000
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: OEM for first 6K, now Pensiol Platinum via...RESOLUTE: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

Engine Break in Method...499 miles I kept it under 4K RPMs....@ 500 miles I started beating on it out of frustration and havent stopped since. I have not burned a drop of oil since. Still sick about everything...I almost paid 40K for this boat anchor~!

NOTE: I was running Mobile on 10/30 Full Syn when I consumed 4.5 quartes in 1500 miles after an oil change. My engine actually threw a rod.

Good luck all, I hope this helps, thank Curtis for a polite email requesting such infor. I had to dig through my files to find it...

FYI they used the same spark plugs and belts on my new engine!

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 02-11-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by ZLOC06
I agree with you, I babied my V2, and less than 3K miles OC problem again. I feel bad for those of you who bought your Z as a daily driver. Lucky for me, I bought my Z as a weekend ride, I would go postal if I had to deal with this crap with a daily driver. Hell I'm almost there now!!!
Why baby a sports car. Beat on it..after all its under warrantee....pistons rings need to seat properly and they never fully expand unless they are hot. Think about a new engine dyno....full RPM right? Beat on these cars like they are rentals...with a warratee....who cares? I beat on mine (#2 engine) after I found out that everything was working right. No over-heats leaks ect. Think about what we do on a test drive..BEAT ON IT... lol

These cars should be able to with stand at least a full 24 hours straight of track abuse before blowing up.. Toodling around town from time to time isnt going to hurt anything accept your tires and average fuel mileage.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 02-11-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
FYI they used the same spark plugs and belts on my new engine!
You know...I was wondering about that when mine gets replaced real soon. 25K of OC on plugs. Wondering about my cats too. Anyone get their cats replaced along with their VQ replacements? Know mine have a good build-up of oil soot in them like my exhaust tails.

Congrats on having a successful VQ. Play hard...live long
Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by Super Black
A couple of weeks ago when I started my car it made a very loud knocking noise (almost the sound of a blown engine) so I had it towed to the closest dealership. Of course, the service guy tried to pull a fast one on me --- he was telling me that my oil is low, that they didn't have records of oil changes, and that my oil is pretty dirty. So pretty much he was implying that I'm not taking good care of my car. So to cut the BS, I told him that I'm a member of a car forum and I am aware of the oil consumption problem. Right after saying this, his response was "ok, we'll further diagnose the problem and call you back". A couple hours later, I heard back from them saying that they will put me on a 1K M oil consumption test. It's been 2 weeks and I've only accumulated 200 miles. My commute to work is only 8 miles back and forth. I'm worried about driving my car long distance because of the loud ticking noise on the engine and I don't want to pay a lot for towing (I prefer to get my engine replaced (hopefully) at the same dealership I had it diagnosd, it's the closest to home and I want to avoid going through the BS again).

INDENT][/INDENT]as we speak.

I want NNA buy back my car or replace it with a new car!!! I've had my car for almost 3 years now, I only have 26K miles on it. On top of this, this is not my first trip to the dealership for a major car problem. At 13K miles, my crank shaft position sensor went bad. I took it to them and they replaced it. At the same time I also told them about the rattle coming from my rear end, they said they lubed "it" and the noise did go away.... But now it's back AGAIN!

I'm so pissed off!!!!. First the crankshaft position sensor, and the rattle in the rear end, now it's the engine, so what's next????

Oh did I mention that the freaking dealer didn't even give me a loaner or a free rent-a-car?
Call www.normantaylor.com they settled my case and Nissan is buying ym car back. Aranging the surrender tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Celestak

^ Is Texas under this law also?....... I wonder what firm out here would know about this..........buybacks, etc.......
Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
You know...I was wondering about that when mine gets replaced real soon. 25K of OC on plugs. Wondering about my cats too. Anyone get their cats replaced along with their VQ replacements? Know mine have a good build-up of oil soot in them like my exhaust tails.

Congrats on having a successful VQ. Play hard...live long
My invoice says longblock, gasket, gasket, gasket, gasket, gasket, gasket, gasket, and I think one more gasket. No cats, belts, spark plugs or accessories. It does say cooler...maybe power steering? who knows.

Originally Posted by Celestak
^ Is Texas under this law also?....... I wonder what firm out here would know about this..........buybacks, etc.......
Check your owners manual or type up "lemon law Texas" in Google.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 02-11-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

im getting a new engine next week and was wondering if i need to take off my pop charger intake and put back the stock air box. im thinking i should but just checking
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
accordhybrid

Originally Posted by myZter
im getting a new engine next week and was wondering if i need to take off my pop charger intake and put back the stock air box. im thinking i should but just checking
I would just to be safe, things seem to come up missing at dealerships when they are aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by accordhybrid
I would just to be safe, things seem to come up missing at dealerships when they are aftermarket.
ok thanks i just hope there isnt anymore problems after the new engine
Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
accordhybrid

Originally Posted by myZter
ok thanks i just hope there isnt anymore problems after the new engine
Thats what I was hoping for but mine is still burning oil.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion