Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

T-Squared + Cams + more = poor dyno #s???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 08:28 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by KJY9
I'm thinking you should've stopped right there and been ahead of the game
Maybe.

I just want to see some independent Crawford dynos. That could have been done by either Zxsaint or McDuck. I still don't see a problem with Crawford paying for the dynos as long as the actual dyno run and posts are done by a honest and respected forum member who would remain unbiased despite the financial interest. Zxsaint or McDuck I know would remain impartial.

Whatever the case, McDuck has declined sponsorship from Crawford and he's likely going to be doing dynos. So, the matter will be moot shortly.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:48 AM
hfm

Originally posted by VandyZ
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hfm
Blah Blah Blah . . . . Blah Blah.
I'll say it again because judging from your highlight of my post, you didn't read it the first time. Crawford. Well, you guys obviously love the new Z. You guys obviously are working to develop products for our Zs. But, I know diddly squat about who you are and whether what you produce actually produces gains.

You volunteer/apprentice with Doug. Doug is in business and everything he posts and everything you post and I don't know what the Individuals relationship is with Crawford but, judging from his picture with the Crawford crew, everything he posts is salesmanship.

Listen to McDuck on this point because he's right. Anything the three of you say has one purpose, to generate sales for Crawford.

I challenge you to say something critical of Crawford to show us you're not biased.

You want to back up Crawford, that's fine, but don't expect us to believe that you are impartial, unbiased and have nothing to gain from doing so.

And, when you quote me again, why don't you try quoting me correctly. If you're incapable of that, don't quote me at all.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:05 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by hfm
I challenge you to say something critical of Crawford to show us you're not biased.
I am having a hard time thinking of anything.

Let me get back to you on that one. . .

His shop is dirty most of the time?

How's that?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:18 AM
hfm

Originally posted by VandyZ
I am having a hard time thinking of anything.

Let me get back to you on that one. . .

His shop is dirty most of the time?

How's that?
LOL! Okay man.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:39 AM
KJY9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by hfm
I'll say it again because judging from your highlight of my post, you didn't read it the first time. Crawford. Well, you guys obviously love the new Z. You guys obviously are working to develop products for our Zs. But, I know diddly squat about who you are and whether what you produce actually produces gains.

You volunteer/apprentice with Doug. Doug is in business and everything he posts and everything you post and I don't know what the Individuals relationship is with Crawford but, judging from his picture with the Crawford crew, everything he posts is salesmanship.

Listen to McDuck on this point because he's right. Anything the three of you say has one purpose, to generate sales for Crawford.

You want to back up Crawford, that's fine, but don't expect us to believe that you are impartial, unbiased and have nothing to gain from doing so.

And, when you quote me again, why don't you try quoting me correctly. If you're incapable of that, don't quote me at all.
I'll tell ya what. I didn't know Doug or the rest of his crew before Wednesday. I drove 500 mile to have him install the Crawford Headers and Crawford Plenum this week.
One thing I can say until I get my 2nd Dyno run (1st or 2nd week in January) is that my butt dyno says it screams like a raped ape after the install. The RPM needle literally jumps from 5k to 6.5k and it takes a bit of getting used to without bouncing off that darned rev limiter in 1st gear now. In 2nd gear it goes sideways with TCS off if you're not careful.
Unbiased statement: these guys not only know their ****, but they're the nicest and most helpful group I've met to date.

I've been reading through this thread and seeing you cr@p on the Crawford mods, without a clue as to what you're talking about. My advice to you (take it or leave it), is to do less typing, more reading and more modding so that in the future, you can give some helpful advice instead of posting out of your ignorance on the subject matter (not meant as an insult) ignorant: 1. Lacking education or knowledge. 2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge. 3. Unaware or uninformed.

Peace out
Old 12-19-2003, 11:36 AM
mcduck

One thing I can say until I get my 2nd Dyno run (1st or 2nd week in January) is that my butt dyno says it screams like a raped ape after the install. The RPM needle literally jumps from 5k to 6.5k and it takes a bit of getting used to without bouncing off that darned rev limiter in 1st gear now.
Ain't it sweet, Eric? That is one thing I must say is nice about the TS upgrade... I've got a couple hundred more RPM for that dance above 5000....

Working on details for independent testing. Will post more news in my other thread in the next couple of days...
Old 12-19-2003, 11:52 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by hfm
LOL! Okay man.
He drinks alot?

I hate that he smokes... he's a terrible speller!

His first plenums were damnit ugly. Can't seem to keep his computer running.

He does cook STELLAR ribs though!

hfm - You SoCal guys need to make a point of coming out next spring for a BBQ. We have plenty of places to stay, and the food is always aplenty!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:59 AM
hfm

Originally posted by KJY9
I'll tell ya what. I didn't know Doug or the rest of his crew before Wednesday. I drove 500 mile to have him install the Crawford Headers and Crawford Plenum this week.
One thing I can say until I get my 2nd Dyno run (1st or 2nd week in January) is that my butt dyno says it screams like a raped ape after the install. The RPM needle literally jumps from 5k to 6.5k and it takes a bit of getting used to without bouncing off that darned rev limiter in 1st gear now. In 2nd gear it goes sideways with TCS off if you're not careful.
Unbiased statement: these guys not only know their ****, but they're the nicest and most helpful group I've met to date.

I've been reading through this thread and seeing you cr@p on the Crawford mods, without a clue as to what you're talking about. My advice to you (take it or leave it), is to do less typing, more reading and more modding so that in the future, you can give some helpful advice instead of posting out of your ignorance on the subject matter (not meant as an insult) ignorant: 1. Lacking education or knowledge. 2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge. 3. Unaware or uninformed.

Peace out
I'm not going to post anymore about Crawford on this thread. This is McDuck's thread about his dyno and there is a whole other thread about this here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....268#post584268

You like your butt dyno, great. You think those guys are great, good deal. You want to call me ignorant, that's your perogative. But, you will find on the above thread that there are no independent dynos on any Crawford product. Go get your dyno cause until you do, butt dyno notwithstanding, you remain just as ignorant.

If you care to discuss this further, please do so on the above linked thread because that's where this discussion belongs.

Chris, I would love to get togther with Doug, you and Vandy for some drinks and cigs. You know, the more I read from you guys, the more I like who you guys are. I just want to see some damn dyno sheets. Other than that, I'm sure everyone's comments about your good character and good nature are dead on. Thanks for the invite and if I'm ever down your way, I will make a point of stopping by.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:13 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by hfm
.... you remain just as ignorant.......

Not worth responding to someone who can make comments about something he has yet to try...and the Crawford Dynos have been posted...check your facts.
Whoever said "ignorance is bliss"?!?

UGH

Old 12-19-2003, 12:37 PM
PhoenixINX

HFM just wants dynos - who cares? Some people are the "see and believe type".

I tend to be the same way. Doesn't phase me when people are like this.

Hell - the jist of it, if proof be told, I bet HFM could love Crawford's in time!

How about for know... it's damnit Friday - let's all chill the f*** out - and somebody start the one hour countdown till we leave work and crack open the...

Old 12-22-2003, 07:09 AM
mcduck

Default UPDATE

It's confirmed... TechnoSquare ECU flash is part of my problem. This was verified by going to Nissan and attempting to run some diagnostics on the ECU (and at a cost of additional $75 for labor time).

Basically, since the ECU was flashed by TechnoSquare, it will now not run several of the ECU setting procedures. Specifically, the Nissan master tech showed me that the "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" and "Idle Air Volume Learning" sequences would not work using Consult II or the manual process.

The same Nissan dealership WAS able to do these tests after my mods and prior to the TechnoSquare flash. So I know that this has occurred as a result of the TechSquare flash.

Similarly, they could not permanently adjust the timing of the car (which they were able to do before). They could look at the setting, but could not adjust it. Though, the timing looked close to correct.

Essentially, my current issues are a result of the throttle body not operating at maximum efficiency since it is not able to "learn" its closed, idle, and WOT positions.

This makes perfect sense for the symptoms we've seen on my Z.

- Rough idle (does not know correct idle position)
- Stalls off high RPM (again, does not know where to set for idle)
- lower than expected power across powerband (cannot determine optimum WOT position)
- Poor fuel economy (not learning appropriate throttle positions so is not getting enough fuel possibly?)
- Car sometimes difficult to start... acts flooded (again, does not know correct idle air volume setting)

Now that we have verified that TS ECU is causing me problems, it's a matter of whether they will back their product. I will say neither good nor ill of them until I have a chance to talk to them this afternoon.

Basically, I expect them to offer to correct what they have (intentionally or unintentionally) screwed up at no cost to me... and preferably with a refund for the money it cost me out of pocket to verify it was their mod that is causing some, if not all, of my issues.

I'll post more news as it develops. I hope that TS and I can reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement. If this is the case, I may be without my car again for a few days as I will likely have to return it to them for re-flashing.

In either case, I will be posting the end result of this business exchange here for all members to read.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 AM
VandyZ

Humm, similar issues here . . .but we sorta expected these. TS told us that the stock ecu does not open throttle all the way on 100% throttle. They said they programmed a fix . . . I guess it is not right yet. After going back to my stock ecu I had idle and throttle issues, so I ran the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure as documented on the Technosquare web site again. Now its all better.

This is not to say these are the only issues. We still need more fuel at all RPM's. This could be a long process. 258 to the wheels w/o ecu is fine with me for now.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:28 AM
mcduck

VandyZ...
That seems to be the problem... with the flash, you cannot reset certain things and whatever you cannot reset cannot be adjusted by your Nissan tech.

I think the safest thing for me will be to go back to stock as well. With TS and more mods than you are sporting, I only turned a 252.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by mcduck
VandyZ...
That seems to be the problem... with the flash, you cannot reset certain things and whatever you cannot reset cannot be adjusted by your Nissan tech.

I think the safest thing for me will be to go back to stock as well. With TS and more mods than you are sporting, I only turned a 252.
I hear ya! You are doing the right thing. I am not running the ECU until its perfect!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 AM
mcduck

Default Long overdue Update!

Just some quick notes....

We eliminated some suspect areas recently with my mod gains questions.

First, we did take my car to a different dyno (still a dynojet). Car logged almost the exact same SAE numbers as it did at the first dyno. So... the dyno was not in error.

Second, during the dyno runs, we did some intake configurations swaps. Mainly the AEM CAI and something very similar to a JWT popcharger. The numbers remained constant. We did not have time to try a stock intake configuration so that may be next. Basically, this test told us that the AEM and JWT should be close to the same net gain, loss, or lack of change.

Third, this morning, Mark put a "spare" ECU that TechnoSquare sent us with the same flash as what was put on mine. At this point, the car is exhibiting the exact same problems as the first time... rough idle, tendency to stall, etc. Tomorrow, i will visit Nissan and have them attempt to run the diagnostic/relearning sequence. The outcome of that will determine the next step.

Regardless, I think my ECU will be reset to stock soon. I'm sure the ECU setting issues will go away then. If we still see disappointing numbers, we'll begin to analyze some of the other components.

Should have more news for everyone by the end of the week.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:30 AM
fdao

Default Re: Long overdue Update!

Originally posted by mcduck
Just some quick notes....

We eliminated some suspect areas recently with my mod gains questions.

First, we did take my car to a different dyno (still a dynojet). Car logged almost the exact same SAE numbers as it did at the first dyno. So... the dyno was not in error.

Second, during the dyno runs, we did some intake configurations swaps. Mainly the AEM CAI and something very similar to a JWT popcharger. The numbers remained constant. We did not have time to try a stock intake configuration so that may be next. Basically, this test told us that the AEM and JWT should be close to the same net gain, loss, or lack of change.

Third, this morning, Mark put a "spare" ECU that TechnoSquare sent us with the same flash as what was put on mine. At this point, the car is exhibiting the exact same problems as the first time... rough idle, tendency to stall, etc. Tomorrow, i will visit Nissan and have them attempt to run the diagnostic/relearning sequence. The outcome of that will determine the next step.

Regardless, I think my ECU will be reset to stock soon. I'm sure the ECU setting issues will go away then. If we still see disappointing numbers, we'll begin to analyze some of the other components.

Should have more news for everyone by the end of the week.
mcduck,

Thanks for the update. Please keep us apprise of the situation. It's people like you that keeps this board moving in the right direction.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:40 AM
FairladyZ

any new rwhp #'s?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:22 AM
mcduck

Yes... my dynos are about the same with TS's spare ECU.

It seems my power shortfall is a combination of ECU tuning (it's close, but TS is not here so they cannot dial in exactly for my car), having Borla Headers instead of Nismo, and possibly the lack of a lightweight flywheel.

The last two items are the biggest difference between my car and Jeff's at Performance Nissan and could very well account for the 15hp difference in net gains we are experiencing.

I'm attempting to verify this with a model for motor mods if I can get a few people to share baseline and final dynos with me. This is in a new thread I started here....
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=57291