Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

aftermarket wideband gauge for use with oem wideband

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket wideband gauge for use with oem wideband

ive been searching this topic all night and ive run across some conflicting information and want to try to get all this sorted out... my goal is to use an aftermarket 52mm gauge (aem, autometer wb, etc) to read the factory passenger side wbo2 output. i want to avoid welding on the factory exhaust if possible. I will be using the Cipher logs to keep track of afr and tune with, so buying another standalone, datalogging wbo2 system seems like a total waste of money. I am using this gauge as an " intelligent warning light" to let me know if i go rich or lean for some reason while spraying. my questions are...

1) poster: iyho, what is the best way to integrate an aftermarket 52mm gauge into the g35's factory wideband system? (or should this not be done?)

2) its my understanding that the zeitronix box can do this (read and display the factory signal). is this true?

3) does anyone know the type of signal does the oem wbo2 sensors output? (0-2V, 0-5V, etc)

In my research I came across this thread here:
AEM Wideband

4) If the sensor has to be heated by the controller, and the factory ecu handles this on the factory system, and the aem gauge handles this for its own independent system (all based inside the gauge), are you not connecting two heater circuits to the same sensor when connecting it like described in the thread?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 AM
konrad

I always thought the factory o2 was a narrow band. If it is in fact a wideband you can find out which wire is the signal wire and splice into it for the wb gauge
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

04.5 or 05 and up are wideband.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by konrad
I always thought the factory o2 was a narrow band. If it is in fact a wideband you can find out which wire is the signal wire and splice into it for the wb gauge
'04 and up has dual widebands from the factory. I am dubious as to how you would calibrate it to an aftermarket gauge and no, you can't connect the heater circuits together (unless you like blowing up your ECM). Seems way overkill for N/A with stock cats and exhaust. If you at least had test pipes or HFC's you could put an extra bung on it.

Last edited by djamps; 11-30-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

'04s do not have factory widebands that I know for certain. I believe it is 04.5 and up that do.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the factory widebands plug right into the aem wideband port. i have about 5 sensors lol. ill see if any of these work, and ill check the coloring of the wires in comparison to the aem's
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
juicinjake

bbs... do you think it would be possible to connect the oem wbo2's to the aem controller box and then the aem's serial output to the factory ecu? i thought the factory widebands had a non-standard signal (not 0-5V), so the aem output wouldnt be capable of generating the correct output to the ecu? would it just be simpler to run their all in one gauge on the passenger side bank and use that for my visual aid, and use the factory stuff along with cipher for datalogging and tuning? im starting to think thats a much simpler solution... and likely cheaper!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too sure on that, I have yet to double check, but I'd recomend leaving your factory o2 sensors in place and getting the dual channel kit and welding on 1 flange per bank to get the most accurate reading
Originally Posted by juicinjake
bbs... do you think it would be possible to connect the oem wbo2's to the aem controller box and then the aem's serial output to the factory ecu? i thought the factory widebands had a non-standard signal (not 0-5V), so the aem output wouldnt be capable of generating the correct output to the ecu? would it just be simpler to run their all in one gauge on the passenger side bank and use that for my visual aid, and use the factory stuff along with cipher for datalogging and tuning? im starting to think thats a much simpler solution... and likely cheaper!