Notices

Homemade Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to a boosted application:

Should both the passenger and driver side PCV lines go to a pre-supercharger/turbocharger pipe that doesn't see boost or can the driver side operate with boost because of internal baffling?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Quamen

The PCV is run from the passenger side valve cover to the plenum. The crankcase breather tube is run from the rear of the drivers side valve cover to the intake pipe on the drivers side turbo.
Found it out. Air is sucked in through the driver side (breather) and sucked out on the passenger side. With that in mind I am just going to put a breather filter on the driver side and run the passenger side through my catch can and connect the catch can to a vacuum source pre-supercharger for my application.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
In regards to a boosted application:

Should both the passenger and driver side PCV lines go to a pre-supercharger/turbocharger pipe that doesn't see boost or can the driver side operate with boost because of internal baffling?

Pre-boost IMHO, or you will have problems I would think. You would end up pressurizing the engine block, I would think oil and fumes would blow out the path of least resistance, along with your boost. Mine are pre-boost.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Quamen

^^^
Thanks. I am going to put a breather filter on the driver side and connect the passenger side to pre boost vacuum and leave the crossover from the driver side to passenger side as is.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed my install. I went to Lowes and got the following since they don't seem to carry the Campbell Hausfield anymore. Thanks to i8acobra for this great DIY mod.

Kobalt filter model#221024
Name:  CIMG0216.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  CIMG0217.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  34.1 KB

And Kobalt Barb/clamp combo packs model#124224
Name:  CIMG0211.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Darth Zader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't manage to find the catchers you guys have used but I did find one, which I installed today. Once I was done, I noticed I could hear a sound coming from the hose area and began looking for any creasing in the hose. Out of curiosity, I touched the little release button on the bottom and it was drawing air INto the catch. I double-checked that the arrow was pointing to the plenum and that the lines were not pinched. My catch has a release valve on the bottom that is held closed by a spring. Pressing the button on the bottom opens the valve and drains the liquid. If the valve is sucking air in, then it is being sucked open due to negative pressure in the can. At this point, I am not going to keep the can on until I can get it right.

What's going on? Why would there be negative pressure in the can and where would that pressure be coming from?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM
350zenvy

bumping an old thread. I did this over the weekend, removed the entire filter and baffle assembly, this is correct right? Any rate I notice that there is a sucking kind of noise. I've checked all the clamps and they are on tight and the arrows are pointing to the pleneum. Anyone else have a slight noise coming from the catch can?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
gothchick

The passenger side (bank 1) is under vacuum, Make sure the catch can baffle is screwed in tight. If you have a leaky release valve, epoxy will do the trick to seal it up.

Last edited by gothchick; 10-04-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
VQ40

Aside from keeping the plenum cleaner, are there any performance gains from this mod?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VQ40
Aside from keeping the plenum cleaner, are there any performance gains from this mod?
By theory, less oil in the plenum means there will be a lessening of the effect of oil vapors added to the air fuel mixture. Burning the oil vapors vs. using condensation to remove the oil vapors. Using a breather or filter that is not connected to the plenum would have the same effect, but you would notice/smell the vapors, and would be releasing the oil vapors into the atmosphere.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:07 PM
StreetOC192

I was asked how I sealed up the nipple at the bottom of the catch can.....

1 - removed the 'c' clip that holds the barb in the housing
2 - removed spring
3 - replaced barb and 'c' clip
4 - while pushing the barb out with a screwdriver from inside the housing, I placed a vacuum cap on the barb (cut to length)
5 - zip tied it as tight as I could get it because I had no hose claps that small.

Here's a pic of the finished product (sorry it's a camera phone pic):
Name:  diycatchcan.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  16.0 KB

EDIT: that pic sux, I'll try to get a better one soon.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 11-04-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 AM
grudum

So I threw one of these on last night, followed the instructions, sealed everything up, clamped the 50psi fuel hoses down, the flow is going toward the manifold. I glued the bottom valve shut, so no air gets in or out.

Started it up. There is a slight hiss on the longer lenght of tubing im guessing from the vacume narrowing the tub, but it still flows. Let it run for a bit and every min or so, there was a click in the engine bay and the idle rpms would drop to about 400. It would still run, but just kind of hicup for a second and ran rough for a moment.

After a 15 min idle the CEL came on. I did the pedal trick, turned it off. It came back on, I turned it off again, connected a big ground wire from the neg batt to the frame and went to bed.

This morning, no CEL, and the car ran fine. The catch can already caught some oil, so i wanna keep it, but i also want the car to run properly.

What do you make of that?

Last edited by grudum; 11-09-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by grudum
So I threw one of these on last night, followed the instructions, sealed everything up, clamped the 50psi fuel hoses down, the flow is going toward the manifold. I glued the bottom valve shut, so no air gets in or out.

Started it up. There is a slight hiss on the longer lenght of tubing im guessing from the vacume narrowing the tub, but it still flows. Let it run for a bit and every min or so, there was a click in the engine bay and the idle rpms would drop to about 400. It would still run, but just kind of hicup for a second and ran rough for a moment.

After a 15 min idle the CEL came on. I did the pedal trick, turned it off. It came back on, I turned it off again, connected a big ground wire from the neg batt to the frame and went to bed.

This morning, no CEL, and the car ran fine. The catch can already caught some oil, so i wanna keep it, but i also want the car to run properly.

What do you make of that?
I would guess you have a vacuum leak if the problem continues
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
jetnoirZ

is this work just as well for us vq35hr guys?? has anyone done it on their HR??
Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jetnoirZ
so i take that as dont do it to the HR
I was just playin' with you... it will be fine. Install the same way off the PCV routing it into the plenum
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

installed this today, not sure why i waited so long but man it was a piece of cake even for a mechanically retarded person as myself. i recommend everyone to do this mod. its cheap, and effective.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 AM
350zenvy

Mine seems to fill up all the way to the top every 3-4 weeks. Anyone else running into such a high consumption. I also have a slight hissing noise but not CEL, anyone else? Is it imperative to seal the botto nipple even if it has a cap?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 350zenvy
Mine seems to fill up all the way to the top every 3-4 weeks. Anyone else running into such a high consumption. I also have a slight hissing noise but not CEL, anyone else? Is it imperative to seal the botto nipple even if it has a cap?
all the way to the top is less than 1/2 an ounce. Not much consumption there at all.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM
maximumsportZ

Finally get to do this after getting the car back.

I picked up the filter @ lowes, it's blue so it matches haha.. it's by Kobalt.

only thing I notice it has a small barb at the bottom with a spring to push it out when its filled I guess, will this leak? should I cap it off? Heres a blurry phone pic:

I see the husky's come with a vac cap on the bottom of theirs. I think the newer ones have this valve that opens and closes it but I wouldn't trust that...

Thanks.

Last edited by maximumsportZ; 12-17-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
gothchick

I'd put a dab of epoxy on it from the inside to seal it up.

Quick Reply: Homemade Catch Can