Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS single TUrbo? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:12 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
uh, I disagree. The APS and JWT may spool quickly. I'm pretty damn sure the JWT spools the fastest. However you can't honestly say that the Greddy spools as fast as either of those kits, because it just doesn't happen, not with the journal bearing 18g turbos, and that's a fact.

Shoot, I ran a greddy TT car and I would hit full boost before he did, while he ran 11psi to my 8.
JWT spools faster and makes more tq because they funny money with the pipes.. once you upgrade the exhaust that quick spool and big tq goes away..

my car hits full boost at 3200 rpms... i forgot who's boost graph it was .. it was posted recently.. they were making 13 PSI or higher and they were making full boost at 3250 rpms
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 AM
EM-EFER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greddy is the best kit out there for the price.. You cant beat 5900-6200 complete. I'm glad I hopped on the Greddy kit and have had nothing but help from them even thought I bought the kit used and had the turbos upgraded.

APS is like this... FLIP a coin... If it lands on heads you will have no problems. Tails prepare for a nightmare and boost drop.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:49 AM
synth19

Greddy is like this, flip a coin and you will have a blown motor. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.... see how stupid it sounds when you make generalizations on what you read on the forums?). These kind of blanket comments are being more and more common. I feel bad for the noobs who don't know what to believe anymore. Instead of reading these threads, where half the ppl talk out of their *** and have no REAL experience on kits they don't have, speak to a shop or authorized installer for some real useful information.

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
APS is like this... FLIP a coin... If it lands on heads you will have no problems. Tails prepare for a nightmare and boost drop.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 AM
doug

Originally Posted by synth19
Greddy is like this, flip a coin and you will have a blown motor. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.... see how stupid it sounds when you make generalizations on what you read on the forums?).
yes, unfortunately what he said was a fact... 50% of APS ST Kits have boost drop
Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 AM
EM-EFER

Greddy is like this, flip a coin and you will have a blown motor. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.... see how stupid it sounds when you make generalizations on what you read on the forums?).

It not a generalization.. Its a known problem. At least 5/10 have problems with APS single.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:54 AM
doug

It not a generalization.. Its a known problem. At least 5/10 have problems with APS single.
OMG.. brilliant post.. i would have never thought of that
Old 10-18-2006, 05:54 AM
synth19

Now your a Statistician? SWEET! So how many kits have been sold? And 50% of them have problems? Or have only 10 kits been sold in the US, and out of those 10, 5 have issues? Please post your data and research. k. thnx

Old 10-18-2006, 05:55 AM
synth19

haha. It's also COMMON knowledge that at least 7/10 greddy kits blow up.

Originally Posted by doug
OMG.. brilliant post.. i would have never thought of that
Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no turbo kits blow up, just bad tuning. a wastegate problem is a physical problem with the system no matter how good you tune the car.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by chimmike
uh, I disagree. The APS and JWT may spool quickly. I'm pretty damn sure the JWT spools the fastest. However you can't honestly say that the Greddy spools as fast as either of those kits, because it just doesn't happen, not with the journal bearing 18g turbos, and that's a fact.

Shoot, I ran a greddy TT car and I would hit full boost before he did, while he ran 11psi to my 8.
APS and Greddy TT spool identical. If you run them both at the same HP levels on the same dynos, which I have done, you will see them produce nearly identical graphs. If the APS spooled any faster, then on the same dyno it would be making more torque, which it does not.

Ball Bearings, especially on smaller turbos like these, are extremely overrated. Its one of those things you do, just to say you've done.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:00 AM
synth19

Charles, you know I was being sarcastic to make a point!

Originally Posted by phunk
no turbo kits blow up, just bad tuning. a wastegate problem is a physical problem with the system no matter how good you tune the car.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:03 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Charles, you know I was being sarcastic to make a point!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:04 AM
EM-EFER

haha. It's also COMMON knowledge that at least 7/10 greddy kits blow up.
Your lack of knowledge is shining brightly.. but I guess the APS single is the least proned to problems
So I retract what I said since my word is gosple and I dont know the exact statistics.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 AM
synth19

I can understand if other ppl didnt get it, but you are an idiot if you cannot detect the blatent sarcasm in my post. I never tried to argue that the APS ST was PERFECT or king. I was merely trying to illustrate the point that you don't know the numbers or have ANY credible data to support your "50%" claim. I then said "7/10 greddy kits blow up" simply to show how stupid one can sound by talking out of their ***.

Your lack of knowledge is shining brightly.. but I guess the APS single is the least proned to problems
So I retract what I said since my word is gosple and I dont know the exact statistics.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 AM
EM-EFER

I can understand if other ppl didnt get it, but you are an idiot if you cannot detect the blatent sarcasm in my post. I never tried to argue that the APS ST was PERFECT or king. I was merely trying to illustrate the point that you don't know the numbers or have ANY credible data to support your "50%" claim. I then said "7/10 greddy kits blow up" simply to show how stupid one can sound by talking out of their ***.
Since you have the kit I figured you were being dead serious. Maybe I shouldn't have made a statistic from my "***" but I dont believe it was talking out of my ***. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 AM
zman1910

A couple of years ago when I first got on these forums I used to hear about a Greddy kit blowing up almost everyday....so 7/10 would've probably held back then. Nowadays people know what needs to be done to the kit to make it safe and are probably smarter as to who does their install.

I also agree with 50% of APS ST's seeing boost drop...even though mine barely had any and I had the first one installed by GRD. Only issue I had was the check valve which was taken care of as APS shipped me one next day sir from Australia! so I can't exactly complain about customer service either..

I've been eyeing all the TT kits recently as they all seem pretty decent
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 AM
doug

Since you have the kit I figured you were being dead serious. Maybe I shouldn't have made a statistic from my "***" but I dont believe it was talking out of my ***. Sorry.
i think its safe to say 50% of APS ST owners on this board complain about boost drop... if it wasn't a problem.. people wouldn't have changed the actuator
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
i think its safe to say 50% of APS ST owners on this board complain about boost drop... if it wasn't a problem.. people wouldn't have changed the actuator
....and APS wouldn't be working on an external wastegate solution either
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Oleg

Originally Posted by taurran
I can argue that. Slapping an archaic EMS, quasi-fuel return system, on an internal wastegate setup and then adding a self-proclaimed "most complete" marketing tag on the system is hardly what I call superior engineering. Don't get me wrong, it does serve its purpose.
It is a bit too late to jump in on this, but anyway...
This "archaic quasi" kit is superior engineering w/out over-engineering.
You can certainly get a tuner kit and slap on a full fuel return kit, top of the line EMS, no problem, your installer will love you for it. The only issue is that you would have wasted an absolute crapload of $$ to buy headroom that you will not ever need, unless you have a built motor in mind. Then you will be a real idiot b/c you could have spent that $$ on suspension, brakes or a little vacation (assuming that you have non-car related interests).
The APS TT is exactly what it is, a 100% bolt on kit for a stock motor, which, BTW what all of the kit manufacturers claim about their products.
An APS TT upgrade can be done for less the 10G, a any tuner kit, with a full FRS, UTEC, injectors, etc will probably be somewhere in the 12-13K range. That's all.
My two cents...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:48 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

there tons of greddy kit guys running around with just the kit, timing harness (40 bucks), and a RFS - 450rwhp. It doesnt have to cost any more if you are staying stock engine. Your already with a better fuel system and EMS to begin with, as ill take the Emanage blue over the unichip for tunability. Guy add the UTEC or EU not cause they REQUIRE IT, but because they want the added features and tunability. At that point, you have a pretty damn slick setup, and barely spent any more then the "complete" kit.

Both installed by a reputable tuner, will make about the same power and run equal risks on the stock engine. I would say that at the 400 - 450rwhp level, either kit is fine - whichever one you think is better even tho it isnt is just fine. go with what your tuner recommends to you.

many people who are familiar with how all this stuff works, will want to piece together the more trick setup that they can tinker with, with more headroom.

Quick Reply: APS single TUrbo? yes or no