Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

only reason to go to exa-pump is for reliability
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM
rawley_12003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what would you do
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
str8dum1

my 1st scavenge pump cracked. the exa-pump is all metal housing and gear driven. 20/20 hindsight would have never had me spend a dollar on anything else besides that exa-pump. live and learn.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 AM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by rawley_12003
Well what would you do
The pump can be put on after the engine goes in so if time is not in your favor u can just use the sts pump for a while.

As a matter of fact I still have mine I could sell you. It has one day of use on it. Pm me if you are interested.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by John1006
Ok I'm about to start my build. My goal is 500whp with a rear mount. I'm trying to buy a block and crank from a member on here if he'll ever get me a shipping quote. Obviously forged bottom end is needed, but everywhere I look i get some mixed reviews on the DE heads. Would 500whp be alright with the stock DE heads? Also hoping you guys could help me out on which turbo to get. I'm knowledgeable in just about every aspect of building motors, but I've only had 2 other boosted cars one was a twin turbo VR4, had stock turbos. The other was a 300zx TT upgraded turbos but I didn't choose the turbos. So my question is can someone help me decide on a turbo to buy. Just seems like theres a million options out there. Thanks in advance.
One good thing about the sts kit is that there is a ton of room where the turbo goes. U can put a seriously big turbo back thier if you want so your choose should reflect your power goals and how u want to drive it.

I'm not sure about 500whp on stock heads. Stiffer valve springs might be a good idia.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by str8dum1
my 1st scavenge pump cracked. the exa-pump is all metal housing and gear driven. 20/20 hindsight would have never had me spend a dollar on anything else besides that exa-pump. live and learn.
+1... Also the pump is made to handle higher temps,and has a 10000 hour life expectancy.
The Chinese sts pump is rated for 2000 hours, I have been told it is not intended to be used for pumping motor oil, and cannot handle the higher temps that the exa can.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 AM
350ztony

Default alot of questions.. cant find answers

OK so let me star off by saying i am new to the site and dont know my way around well enough. i have searched and altho i am sure these questions have been answerd already i am having a little trouble locating the answers..
firstly...

i have a 2005 350z bone stock with 60k miles.

i wanna get some boost, and i have about 4k to spend.

i have looked at the stillen supercharger, but not real crazy about it.
i have looked at the turbonetics kit for 3k (sans tuning) but its gonna cost another another 1500 for tuning stuff likely - injectors, fuel pump and computer system.
but i have read that the fitment is horrible for the kit and is not a simple bolt on situation..

so then i thought maybe i should spend the money on a momentum kit, i can get the entire kit for aound 6k with EVERYTHING ready to bolt on. but thats a bit much i think.. at least for me.

so here i am at the conclusion of REAR MOUNT SETUP????
seems kinda sweet, cost effective.. easy to install.

so ill let you into my goals which are pretty modest...
im looking for a system to run 4 to 6 lbs of boost and only looking to get 350 to 380 hp.
seems like a very attainable goal and 4 grande should easily get me there and keep me from going ghetto hoopty style right?

well i have a couple questions about this setup in particular..

firstly, im looking to try to find a gt35 - ish sized turbo. preffereably ball bearing and oil only - not water cooled.
also, for ease of application an internal wastegate would be ideal but not absolutely needed.
also.. where do i tap into the oil on this engine?
i was thinking about getting the oil pan spacer with the oil fittings built in for the extra capacity, but is the oil going to be able to flow FROM the pan or only TO the pan..

also.. can anyone reccomend a good ecu tuning kit? is it possible to run say 4lbs of boost on stock injectors and factory tune until i can get the car to a shop that can drop in bigger injectors and reflash my ecu..

since im only looking to make a small amount of boost i would rather it come on a bit earlier but not need to over work the turbo,

as for intake piping back up front.. is 2 1/4 the right size? if heard of people using 2 inch or 2.5.

oh and im hoping to do an inline barrel style liquid intercooler to cut down on charge pipe length. im gonna set it up right before the MAF in the engine bay and put the heat exchanger out front. a 12 volt water pump and run liquid ice in it.

anyway thanks in advance for any help, and if you have any advice about searching the site that would be helpful also.. i know im new but its a little cumbersome trying to navigate through the posts
Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 AM
str8dum1

answers in red

Originally Posted by 350ztony
seems like a very attainable goal and 4 grande should easily get me there and keep me from going ghetto hoopty style right?

depends how cheap you can find a STS kit for. You could built it yourself for cheap for sure.

firstly, im looking to try to find a gt35 - ish sized turbo. preffereably ball bearing and oil only - not water cooled.

that kind of turbo will cost as much as the kit. You will have to stick to a normal journal bearing turbo

also, for ease of application an internal wastegate would be ideal but not absolutely needed.

Are you building this from scratch? If so, you can use whatever turbo you want. The sts kit comes with external gate

from the oil pressure sender port

i was thinking about getting the oil pan spacer with the oil fittings built in for the extra capacity, but is the oil going to be able to flow FROM the pan or only TO the pan..

You would return the oil to the pan into the spacer

also.. can anyone reccomend a good ecu tuning kit? is it possible to run say 4lbs of boost on stock injectors and factory tune until i can get the car to a shop that can drop in bigger injectors and reflash my ecu..

Uprev would be fine for this use as well as a UTEC. You cannot run any boost with a tune or injectors.

since im only looking to make a small amount of boost i would rather it come on a bit earlier but not need to over work the turbo,

the standard turbo with the STS is setup for that. any t60-1 size would be fine. one of those holset HX35 or HX40 would be very inexpensive and work well

as for intake piping back up front.. is 2 1/4 the right size? if heard of people using 2 inch or 2.5.

You can use any size you want if you are making it yourself. 2 or 2.25 is sts standard i think

oh and im hoping to do an inline barrel style liquid intercooler to cut down on charge pipe length. im gonna set it up right before the MAF in the engine bay and put the heat exchanger out front. a 12 volt water pump and run liquid ice in it.

you can do it how ever you like

anyway thanks in advance for any help, and if you have any advice about searching the site that would be helpful also.. i know im new but its a little cumbersome trying to navigate through the posts

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-01-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 AM
350ztony

Default thanks for the answers..

thanks for the information..

yeah i guess im really planning on building the set up myself. i mean in all reality i can find a garrett gt35r for about a grand, or a turbonetics t60-1 for about 700 new, and i have seen several holset hx35s for under 500 and some refurbed ones for like 300 or 350.

the oil pump and fittings are probably gonna be close to 300 and the exhaust stuff is really not much at all since iwas gonna weld and fabricate it myself after the rear diff. one thing that im going to do tho is get one of those cheap stainless steel exhaust set ups from ebay that has the headers and y pipe and down pipe (cat delete) itll probably come with a muffler or dual mufflers or something but that really doesnt matter to me because i just really want the ss for heat retention and durablity and i am going to heat wrap it before i put it on. that should help the exaust flow pretty well and be nice and hot when it gets to the turbo. and since if i ever decide to remove the turbo i can put a muffler back on it. those kits are cheap or i can buy the pieces i need seperately for around 300 i think.
since my state doesnt do smog testing i dont need cats anyway. they just check for leaks and stuff like that on the exhaust.
so now im up to around 1200 to 1500 for a good turbo, oil kit, exhaust pieces and what nots. that leaves the charge pipe and ill probly come off the turbo with regular steel exhaust pipe that i can bend and get going how i want then switch to regular intercooler aluminum piping with silicone couplers.
i dont anticipate more than 150 for all this stuff plus about 200 for the liquid intercooler kit (they are so cheap i dont know why more people dont use them)
so im still well under 2k for the hardware.

now.. hereis where im debating on a couple things
STS sells a ready made tuning kit for 1500 complete with injectors, utec, instructions and a preset map.. for what boost i dont know but either way its tweakable down the road.

1500 is a bit pricy considering i have seen the utec for about 700 and the injectors for around 300. but what would i do with it? no instructions, and i have no experience setting up an ecu. does the utec come with any premade maps? something for 4 lbs of boost ? something for 6lbs? im sure once i get used to it it wouldnt be too hard to mess with it and get it figured out, but in my particular situation i have very limited time 2 or 3 days max. also, no where close to where i live does any custom tune work. the closest place is at least 3 hours away. so then what ? get the car set up and ready just to have it towed 3 hours away to have an hour worth of work done?
i guess if there are some better options.. i dont know about them. ive been searching for an easier answer but it seems like people with this information keep it guarded.

depends how cheap you can find a STS kit for. You could built it yourself for cheap for sure.

that kind of turbo will cost as much as the kit. You will have to stick to a normal journal bearing turbo

Are you building this from scratch? If so, you can use whatever turbo you want. The sts kit comes with external gate

from the oil pressure sender port

You would return the oil to the pan into the spacer

Uprev would be fine for this use as well as a UTEC. You cannot run any boost with a tune or injectors.

the standard turbo with the STS is setup for that. any t60-1 size would be fine. one of those holset HX35 or HX40 would be very inexpensive and work well

You can use any size you want if you are making it yourself. 2 or 2.25 is sts standard i think

you can do it how ever you like

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 AM
ace32x

OK so let me star off by saying i am new to the site and dont know my way around well enough. i have searched and altho i am sure these questions have been answerd already i am having a little trouble locating the answers..
firstly...

i have a 2005 350z bone stock with 60k miles.

i wanna get some boost, and i have about 4k to spend.

i have looked at the stillen supercharger, but not real crazy about it.
i have looked at the turbonetics kit for 3k (sans tuning) but its gonna cost another another 1500 for tuning stuff likely - injectors, fuel pump and computer system.
but i have read that the fitment is horrible for the kit and is not a simple bolt on situation..

so then i thought maybe i should spend the money on a momentum kit, i can get the entire kit for aound 6k with EVERYTHING ready to bolt on. but thats a bit much i think.. at least for me.

so here i am at the conclusion of REAR MOUNT SETUP????
seems kinda sweet, cost effective.. easy to install.

so ill let you into my goals which are pretty modest...
im looking for a system to run 4 to 6 lbs of boost and only looking to get 350 to 380 hp.

if your trying to buy a complete kit. get a boosted performance kit and then you can peice together your fuel set up at your own leisure. As far as tuning id find some one locally that can tune with osiris.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
jsrodz

Does someone have use a .96 A/R housing, if yes, feedback
Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

boosted performance kit. i'm on a 6765, 652hp when my clutch gave out on the dyno at 22psi. It will be higher once i get my triple disk installed next week.

5100$ for tuner kit. 2 grand less than momentum and around 1500$ less than powerlab.

The full kit comes with everything you need except it needs to be tuned in the 6k range. Later down the road when you build the engine you don't need to upgrade the turbo kit at all to push huge numbers.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM
rawley_12003

I have a question I currently have a kinetix v+ plenum (composite) installed right now would it be best to keep or go back to stock with 10 to 14 psi with 8.8:1 comp. And .020 overbore
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM
rawley_12003

BUMP
Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM
str8dum1

it doesnt really matter. keep what you think looks better.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
rawley_12003

well i guess i will go with oem and another question has anybody ran a vacuum line from the plenum directly to the waste gate to get better boost numbers?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rawley_12003
well i guess i will go with oem and another question has anybody ran a vacuum line from the plenum directly to the waste gate to get better boost numbers?
In order to keep boost at spring pressure all the way to red line, this is the way to do it. If you take it at the turbo compressor and run it to the wastegate, you will need a boost controller to prevent boost from falling.

This is something I changed with the BP kit. I have a .6bar (8.7 psi) spring in the wastegate and this is the exact boost pressure I see on the Haltech logs all the way to 7000rpm.

You can also drill/tapp your charge pipe after the intercooler, and will get similar results.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 12-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
rawley_12003

Oh ok i thought so i am currently running a aem truboost controller so i will look at where it would be better and probably easier to locate. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 AM
rawley_12003

Is anybody running a different plenum than there stock one
Old 12-17-2011, 05:47 AM
konrad

i got crawford right now, it didnt get to see any high boost since I spun a bearing. Rebuilding the block now with a bigger turbo too. so by April i hope for some high boost

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread