Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
what is a BB upgrade? also are there any intercoolers with the same dimensions so that it could just be bolted on without any modification to the piping?
What are the dimensions of the STS intercooler? A Ball Bearing upgrade on the turbo is what he was referring to. If you are going to spend the money on the upgrade go with something with a lot more power potential. A 62-1 or GT-K 550 (HP61/Stage V) should be sufficient.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 PM
rkd350z

I wanna see some more pictures...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by Cube
Ehhh... so it's a product of price-cutting huh... good to know! Which bar/plate design (Manufacturer) would you go with?

You can buy a Bar/Plate IC online for around $250-$400 check this site.
http://www.icevex.com/universalintercoolers.html
http://www.rabbidperformance.com/products.php?cat=29

But if you want a known (Brand name) IC then Spearco is a very good one, I'm just fortunate to get Gurgen's ARC PE TT IC for $250 It has been already verified that at higher RPM around 6000RPM there is close to 1psi if not more of drop from the peak around mid 4000RPM (Me, Daniel, Goose all experience them). STS know about this and that is why they are in the process or already have an upgrade IC for the kit. I really need to swap my IC to get a real Data but I'm waiting for colder weather so I can do the tune for my winter driving
Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
ForceInduction

Originally Posted by athenG
You can buy a Bar/Plate IC online for around $250-$400 check this site.
http://www.icevex.com/universalintercoolers.html
http://www.rabbidperformance.com/products.php?cat=29

But if you want a known (Brand name) IC then Spearco is a very good one, I'm just fortunate to get Gurgen's ARC PE TT IC for $250 It has been already verified that at higher RPM around 6000RPM there is close to 1psi if not more of drop from the peak around mid 4000RPM (Me, Daniel, Goose all experience them). STS know about this and that is why they are in the process or already have an upgrade IC for the kit. I really need to swap my IC to get a real Data but I'm waiting for colder weather so I can do the tune for my winter driving
We are a distributor for the Icevex and these intercoolers are actually good quality. For the price they offer...I'm not sure if you can find a better intercooler.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
What are the dimensions of the STS intercooler? A Ball Bearing upgrade on the turbo is what he was referring to. If you are going to spend the money on the upgrade go with something with a lot more power potential. A 62-1 or GT-K 550 (HP61/Stage V) should be sufficient.

are these bigger turbos that would spool slower?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:38 PM
DanielW
Banned

forgive my lack of knowledge but are our turbos not ball bearing?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:53 PM
athenG

forgive my lack of knowledge but are our turbos not ball bearing?

I don't think so... Oh, I just got an Email form Rick about their upgrade IC, it will be on R&D next week and he'll fill me with the specific of the IC. I rather get the one from STS if there is not much fabrication and just sell the ARC IC that I got....
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
MIAPLAYA

are these bigger turbos that would spool slower?
The compressors are larger but the turbines are roughly the same size. A T3 Stage V turbine from Turbonetics has a larger exducer diameter than an O trim turbine but the O trim has a slightly larger major diameter. So the turbine sections are comparable. Obviously with a larger compressor the boost curve would be different but the spool up should be comparable..
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM
DanielW
Banned

I'm lost on all that....

Anyway I just got test pipes installed. I wish I could tell you guys what kind of difference it made but as soon as I went to romp on it in 2nd gear at low rpm a strange sound started coming from somewhere in the front of the car. The best way i know how to describe it is like a big glass jar rolling across a counter... any ideas?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 PM
hunter6

Guys,

How about some pics? Let's see the whole system underneath the car. The STS website has nothing yet for the 350Z and the CIN website doesn't show enough. Let's see it...from the filter to the turbo!

Thanks

Ohh and some timeslips too!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by hunter6
Guys,

How about some pics? Let's see the whole system underneath the car. The STS website has nothing yet for the 350Z and the CIN website doesn't show enough. Let's see it...from the filter to the turbo!

Thanks

Ohh and some timeslips too!
There are some pix here http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170995 also search STS thread started by MRC, Julian got tons of Pix on the install he did for both cars.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
hunter6

Thumbs up

many thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 07:06 PM
DanielW
Banned

Well for all the people that were talking about the turbo not being safe under the car, I just hit a huge bloated dead dear going about 65 mph and ran right over it. Everything appears to be fine under the car. Just a dent and some scratches on the passenger side. Think I should turn this in to the insurance?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:16 PM
abyss

Think I should turn this in to the insurance?
I would unless the repair is cheaper than your deductable..that is what it is for.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah but the main thing is, are my rates going to go up. When i asked them over the phone last night they kept giving me the run around and telling me they couldn't tell me if that would cause my rates to go up until i had already filed a claim at which point it would be to late if my rates did go up. Its like a Fckin trap
Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 PM
350ZPH
Banned

I have a couple questions/concerns about these kits maybe you guys can answer. First, what happens when you have an extremely hot turbo in the rear mount position and you hit a puddle, water splashes up on the turbo etc and cracks it? Maybe a heat wrap would help but not sure or is there a shield in place with the kit? Second, would this setup work poorly with aftermarket exhaust/headers since there is less pressure with bigger piping ? Could an even smaller than stock piping make quicker spooling due to more pressure into the turbo and full boost at lower rpm's since lag is a downside to this setup?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by 350ZPH
First, what happens when you have an extremely hot turbo in the rear mount position and you hit a puddle, water splashes up on the turbo etc and cracks it?
...uhhh wow...

Temperature stress is a b*tch....
Old 08-19-2007, 04:31 PM
DanielW
Banned

I've run it several times in the rain now with no issues like that and the turbo system is a mid pipe back exhaust system in itself so the only exhaust system components you could upgrade would be headers, cats, y pipe and mid pipe. I did the test pipes a few days ago and that does help a little bit with spooling. Aside from that, no one has done any of these to my knowledge yet but I have a y pipe in the mail so we'll see how that does
Old 08-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Cube

I've run it several times in the rain now with no issues like that
Reassuring. Thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive a turbo car in the rain you have bigger problems to worry about than a cracked turbo....rwd in the rain FTL

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread