Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 AM
goosegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeMan
wastegate is pre turbo... and for the bov when i had my hks on my sti i noticed it got a little louder when i went form 17psi to 24psi but maybe it was just me
I know the BOV will get louder when releasing throttle from higher boost pressures so that makes sense to me.

What I was curious about is a change in tone. I'm wondering if changing the impeller and comressor housing can increase or decrease the tone of sound coming out of the wastegate or BOV.

I know - strange question.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I could possibly see it changing the "squelch" sound (compressor surge) that comes out from the compressor side of the turbo at lower boost levels, but I wouldn't think it would have any effect on the BOV or WG.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
JonnyC

That's great that the XYZ pipe fixed the exhaust smell. I might just have to drop a pretty penny on that, because I reak after driving my car (also, the new car like smell is gone - masked by exhaust stench). Oh well, at least my new "NOT GRN" license plate will be fitting :P
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Oh well, at least my new "NOT GRN" license plate will be fitting :P

man i don't know if you're serious about that license tag but i would rethink it. I could deffinitely see potential for harrassment by cops/keying by hippies but maybe I'm just paranoid like that
Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
xxgreatwarsxx

quick question guys:

for you guys who run >5 psi, do you guys change/upgrade anything? or just tuned? Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by DanielW
man i don't know if you're serious about that license tag but i would rethink it. I could deffinitely see potential for harrassment by cops/keying by hippies but maybe I'm just paranoid like that
Already submitted the form, should be getting them any day now (oh wait, more like months, since it's the DMV). I live in the hippie capitol of the world as well. Let's just say I won't be parking in downtown Madison very often.

But yeah, good thing insurance doesn't raise your rates based on a personalized license plate...at least I hope they don't At least it's not as bad as my 2nd choice, "GBL WRMR".
Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by xxgreatwarsxx
quick question guys:

for you guys who run >5 psi, do you guys change/upgrade anything? or just tuned? Thanks
All I have is test pipes and plenum spacer. I didn't need to change anything though, just didn't want to have to worry about my stock cats blowing out.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
xxgreatwarsxx

All I have is test pipes and plenum spacer. I didn't need to change anything though, just didn't want to have to worry about my stock cats blowing out.
i see... thanks. im just worry if the stock oil pump would not be able to deliver the 'extra' fuel (forgot if we actually got new oil pump from sts or not) and if the given 440cc injector would be good enough (not sure about the brand/quality).
Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by xxgreatwarsxx
i see... thanks. im just worry if the stock oil pump would not be able to deliver the 'extra' fuel (forgot if we actually got new oil pump from sts or not) and if the given 440cc injector would be good enough (not sure about the brand/quality).
The base kit should come with an upgraded Walbro fuel pump already. Many owners with stock blocks who turn it up to 8psi come close to running out of injector on 440cc's, but for the most part I believe the setup is sufficient at that PSI level. If you go beyond that, you will need to upgrade your injectors at the very least.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
DanielW
Banned

I know jon (tegra racer) was running like 10 psi and 400 whp on the 440's
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
goosegoose

My IDC can run as high as 92% on 600cc DW injectors at 14-16PSI.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
harvin350z

Hey guys,

Iam going in for tune Saturday, I have Invidia TP on the car right now but I am going back to the stock cats because I do not like the smell and the cops can be difficult here. Should I heat wrap the exhaust or will it make it more difficult to tune? Iam running the stock map right now with a aem boost controller and the car is slow of the line with (stock cats). After the the test pipe install there is a huge difference in first gear and second gear. I read the previous posts about heat wrap but still not sure how much differnce it will make in the initial gears. Any input would help before I get it tuned...Thanks!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
DudeMan

so my car like to die on decel sometimes the rpms will drop but then it will catch itself but most of the time it just dies.... should i raise my targeted idle?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
JonnyC

so my car like to die on decel sometimes the rpms will drop but then it will catch itself but most of the time it just dies.... should i raise my targeted idle?
Yeah, if you're not '04.5, just raise the idle. Actually, I had a friend bring his Consult II from his shop to a cruise today and we raised my idle. I'm around 1,000 rpms at idle now, and the car didn't die once. It died multiple times on the way to the cruise, so the idle raise definitely fixed it. However, I still blip the throttle a bit on a hard decel just to make sure it doesn't stall.

I just got back tonight from running the car real hard on a cruise. Was a ton of fun, despite me being very nervous because my Tuner wideband decided to crap out right before the event. I wasn't able to do any logging or anything. Never felt any timing retardation from knocking, and the car seems to be running just fine. The cool temps up here in WI really helped keep it running great, and the oil temp never went above 210.

Oh, and I think I broke in my Magnaflow resonator - the 2,000 rpm drone came back :-/

Last edited by JonnyC; 05-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 PM
DudeMan

Yeah, if you're not '04.5, just raise the idle. Actually, I had a friend bring his Consult II from his shop to a cruise today and we raised my idle. I'm around 1,000 rpms at idle now, and the car didn't die once. It died multiple times on the way to the cruise, so the idle raise definitely fixed it. However, I still blip the throttle a bit on a hard decel just to make sure it doesn't stall.

I just got back tonight from running the car real hard on a cruise. Was a ton of fun, despite me being very nervous because my Tuner wideband decided to crap out right before the event. I wasn't able to do any logging or anything. Never felt any timing retardation from knocking, and the car seems to be running just fine. The cool temps up here in WI really helped keep it running great, and the oil temp never went above 210.

Oh, and I think I broke in my Magnaflow resonator - the 2,000 rpm drone came back :-/
when i got the car the kid said it was 04.5 so what do i do then?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 AM
JonnyC

when i got the car the kid said it was 04.5 so what do i do then?
You can't raise the idle on the '04.5 with the Cipher / Consult II. Not sure why Nissan did that. I'm not really sure what you can do. Some guys ended up drilling small holes in the throttle plate until they got the car to idle a little higher.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 AM
DudeMan

You can't raise the idle on the '04.5 with the Cipher / Consult II. Not sure why Nissan did that. I'm not really sure what you can do. Some guys ended up drilling small holes in the throttle plate until they got the car to idle a little higher.
yea i read about that so you cant raise the idle with utec?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
JonnyC

yea i read about that so you cant raise the idle with utec?
No, it has to be done through the stock ECU.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM
DudeMan

No, it has to be done through the stock ECU.
well im just going to adjust the timing and the fuel trim in the 0% column that should raise the idle
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by harvin350z
Hey guys,

Iam going in for tune Saturday, I have Invidia TP on the car right now but I am going back to the stock cats because I do not like the smell and the cops can be difficult here. Should I heat wrap the exhaust or will it make it more difficult to tune? Iam running the stock map right now with a aem boost controller and the car is slow of the line with (stock cats). After the the test pipe install there is a huge difference in first gear and second gear. I read the previous posts about heat wrap but still not sure how much differnce it will make in the initial gears. Any input would help before I get it tuned...Thanks!
just make sure that they do a back to back pull when tuning because these turbos cool off alot quicker than one mounted near the engine and you need to keep your egt's warmed up for maximum boost response and the best possible recreation of what you'll be doing on the street/track.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread