Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SGP Racing a Scammer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants to spend $100k and get nothing, I'll take your money and just be honest about it. I'll send you pics of the house I'll buy with it and my vacation through Europe.

This is not an offer from Uprev, but from me, Richard, personally.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
gotparts?

Originally Posted by Boostedtrack350
While you are there. Ask Mark When Jason can get his Money back! Since he wont answer my calls! Let us know if there is any work being done on cars today. If he doesnt pay me, I will picket in front of his shop! And call the T.V. station and radio and anyone else I can think of to get it covered!
no he meant he was on the way to our new shop. not sgp's, overdrive/jtran studios.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Shreveport. Yeah thats who will do it when I get my money back from SGP. I had know idea. I did some research, but I guess not enough. I just kept hearing good things about SGP. Guess I just came to them at the wrong time. RIP SGP!
Damn man, I sorry to hear that. Defintley makes me glad that I took my car over to T1. Good luck with trying to get your money back.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Boostedtrack350

Where is T1?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is T1?
In Rowlett Texas. www.t1racedevelopment.com
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Thanks to UpRev, I've just been advised of another company, Import Performance Trans (IPT), that offers a fully built 5AT package including cryo treated gears.

http://importperformancetrans.com/nissanre5.shtml

I now wish I had sent my trans to them in the first place.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
iamdigital

Interesting. After reading their info I'm wondering what packs, GTM, SFR, and SGP use in their trannies and how they all compare. Sadly this is not something that has been in depth reviewed anywhere.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Glex25

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Thanks to UpRev, I've just been advised of another company, Import Performance Trans (IPT), that offers a fully built 5AT package including cryo treated gears.

They did my old DSM transmission great guys.

They are actually 5-10 minutes from job
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by iamdigital
Interesting. After reading their info I'm wondering what packs, GTM, SFR, and SGP use in their trannies and how they all compare. Sadly this is not something that has been in depth reviewed anywhere.
www.altousa.com click on new products..then click on infinity/nissan RE5R05A

They have a kit specifically for the Z/G

Last edited by coachk; 03-02-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iamdigital
Per Rich at UpRev, the Nissan Titan guys have been using the IPT built auto trans with good success. Is anyone here a member on the Titan forums?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

RudeG, nice looking upgrade - I like how they post concrete details about their performance transmission. I couldn't find anything about a warranty or holding power. They claim up to 33-40% greater capacity - which would put it close to 500 ft-lbs capacity going by ratings (350 ft lbs is the stock rating for the trans I believe). I don't know if those are cumulative - so 70+% etc. I would worry a little bit about them not being on this site and being accountable to the community here for continued sales... But doing a little googling seems to show a good rep with the domestic market. I read through the titan forums when I was shopping for a built trans and I believe IPT had just come out with something for the RE5. Time to browse the titan forums again and see how those folks are doing... Always good to have choices, esp. with SGP not a likely candidate for future builds.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
coachk
Banned

Hey Raj... what do you think about the site I posted.Is that a good start on the upgrades?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by coachk
Hey Raj... what do you think about the site I posted.Is that a good start on the upgrades?
I think Marshall and Canadian (you know, Rude's best friend ) are both using Alto for their rebuilds. I think it all comes down to the ancillary stuff and the builder to implement it correctly. If you've got a good guy locally then consider it otherwise I'd go with a shop that has done more than 1 before... The Alto upgrade won't include some of the things listed on the IPT site for example - like remachining for enhanced cooling and upgrading the pump for increased flow. I know Sam verbally mentioned some machine work for cooling, but I honestly don't know the details or I would share them. Maybe Sam will chime in with details if he reads this...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

wow... thats what i call a serious tranny...seems to be made to hangle high power. I would consider them too rude.
  • Valve bodies are fully modified and calibrated to provide quick, positive shifts
  • Additional High-Energy Input Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 33% increase in capacity
  • Additional High-Energy High/Low/Reverse Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 40% increase in capacity
  • Additional High-Energy Direct Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 40% increase in capacity
  • Lube system is redesigned to prevent geartrain failure and to increase lube flow
  • Heavy Duty High/Low/Reverse Snap Ring Installed
  • Pump is modified to provide increased pressure and volume
  • Planetaries and mating sun and ring gears are cryogenically treated
  • Splines are heat treated to prevent stripping

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-02-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

All of this could've been solved by driving a 6 speed. LOL

In all honesty... wish all parties on both sides good luck and getting everything resolved.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
All of this could've been solved by driving a 6 speed. LOL

keeep your smart *** comments out of here

we know you are still all over mark's huevos...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-02-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
keeep your smart *** comments out of here

we know you are still all over mark's huevos...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
UpRev
Banned

AFAIK.

Tranny rebuild parts are fairly generic, it's hard to be a rebuild shop that has specific clutch packs built. So most companies are probably using one manufacturers upgraded parts, or they cross reference the clutch packs used in another application.

The specific things like Pumps, Cryo Treating, Machined Ports are something one person figured out and now everyone copies.

The big deal when it comes to tranny builds is making sure you're dealing with someone reputable and someone that has broken other peoples cars enough to know what works and what doesn't. Sadly when it comes to the Nissan Auto transmissions there isn't enough knowledge out there for people to figure this all out on their own, so most rebuilders are just going to be buying another persons kit and putting their names on it. This is not like the domestic market for transmissions.

That said.

Our customers have used the GTM built transmissions and the IPT built transmissions with good success. Generally a good shop will tell you that they are installing XYZ transmission rather than their own home brew transmission, unless ofcourse they are doing the tear down and rebuild, and they are buying the clutch packs etc directly from the manufacturer. I know that GTM and IPT both are buying parts direct, and are doing the rebuilds in house.

Neither GTM nor IPT actually cut their own clutch packs, nor do they braze the fins in the torque converter. That sort of manufacturing requires hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of very specific machinery, the kind of scale no average performance shop will contain. Economy of scale is in play on those parts. They both have their own specifications on those parts and buy them direct from their manufacturers. It is possible they are both sourcing from the same place, that I'm not sure of. But I do know they don't charge you for upgraded parts and then leave stock parts in there hoping that you never check, and it seems around here that is a big plus. Who knew you guys would be so picky.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UpRev
AFAIK.

Tranny rebuild parts are fairly generic, it's hard to be a rebuild shop that has specific clutch packs built. So most companies are probably using one manufacturers upgraded parts, or they cross reference the clutch packs used in another application.

The specific things like Pumps, Cryo Treating, Machined Ports are something one person figured out and now everyone copies.

The big deal when it comes to tranny builds is making sure you're dealing with someone reputable and someone that has broken other peoples cars enough to know what works and what doesn't. Sadly when it comes to the Nissan Auto transmissions there isn't enough knowledge out there for people to figure this all out on their own, so most rebuilders are just going to be buying another persons kit and putting their names on it. This is not like the domestic market for transmissions.

That said.

Our customers have used the GTM built transmissions and the IPT built transmissions with good success. Generally a good shop will tell you that they are installing XYZ transmission rather than their own home brew transmission, unless ofcourse they are doing the tear down and rebuild, and they are buying the clutch packs etc directly from the manufacturer. I know that GTM and IPT both are buying parts direct, and are doing the rebuilds in house.

Neither GTM nor IPT actually cut their own clutch packs, nor do they braze the fins in the torque converter. That sort of manufacturing requires hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of very specific machinery, the kind of scale no average performance shop will contain. Economy of scale is in play on those parts. They both have their own specifications on those parts and buy them direct from their manufacturers. It is possible they are both sourcing from the same place, that I'm not sure of. But I do know they don't charge you for upgraded parts and then leave stock parts in there hoping that you never check, and it seems around here that is a big plus. Who knew you guys would be so picky.
LOL. Nice jab!

I feel very good about Chris, who is rebuilding my transmission, because of his experience with these transmissions as a Nissan Master Tech. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and the final results.

Next time I'll ask some more specific questions, like, "will you actually do the work I'm paying you to do?" That could have helped a ton with my transmission.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
iamdigital

I've got an email into them for definitive pricing and better specs and customer count. will update.

Quick Reply: SGP Racing a Scammer?