Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:55 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
Just a few more and then I am done Mike.
Ok.... I will close my eyes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 AM
thefireboy

The original oil analysis showed the car to be healthy with nothing out of the ordinary. Nick, if you have access to it maybe you can scan and post it. Jim and Frank agreed that sending a sample that was removed at teardown would be useless since there is so much material that has been put in the oil.
that is cool. i will post it up tomorrow. i have the electronic copy at the shop.
but i still think it would be wise to send the sample out to find out about the oil.... in my own opinion..
i dont think it was a tunning issue either....
oil starvation is key words in this situation in my opinion..
Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 AM
thefireboy

there are few more im waiting for
Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drivers side impeller:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p7090195.jpg

Passengers side impeller.... damage may have been slightly more than I was lead to believe.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p7090194.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-p7090221.jpg

To be clear, this did not cause the failure. No parts of the impeller were found in/on the pistons or rings as per Jim. The pieces are likely in the intercooler or got blown out the exhaust. This turbo would have failed for sure, Blouch wil have to give me an estimated lifespan based on how out of balance it is.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 AM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
So when you got the first oil sample none of that grey sludge was in it? correct it was not thereWhere did it come from?
oil that was sent in had minnium time in the car because of the engine idling so high..
Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Havok_RLS2

OKay! Stick a fork in me I'm done. All these photo's I've seen point to build issues. I seen nothing that could be a tuning issue at all. So one of the two builders need to get you a new motor asap and if it were me I's get it from Sherif and Kyle in Huston and let Dave install and tune himself. But that just me.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 AM
XKR

Chris.... PLEASE have one shop do the work this time.... I don't care who... Just one shop... From build to tune....

I was at FP yesterday.... I spoke to Sharif about your car in person..... I just wanted to know what would he do at this point if it was his build..... He gave the answer I expected which will make me sleep better

Sharif is installing alot of new parts on my car... Not because anything is wrong with the old parts.... He just feels for this build we should use new parts...... My point for this is you are welcome to any parts that Sharif removed from my car at no cost to you. Call and speak to him. You know me... I don't know the names of the parts.... But i see a lot of those parts in those horror pic"s.

Last edited by XKR; 07-11-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by thefireboy
oil that was sent in had minnium time in the car because of the engine idling so high..
Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Drivers side impeller:

Attachment 249326

Passengers side impeller.... damage may have been slightly more than I was lead to believe.

Attachment 249327 Attachment 249328

To be clear, this did not cause the failure. No parts of the impeller were found in/on the pistons or rings as per Jim. The pieces are likely in the intercooler or got blown out the exhaust. This turbo would have failed for sure, Blouch wil have to give me an estimated lifespan based on how out of balance it is.
Isn't the passenger side turbo the one that involved the infamous rag?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM
nyqueenz

humm i wonder if the rag had done this..
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0

Both shops should have agreed to have Justice build a new motor ASAP for Chris and then settle the blame/debts later.
i hear ya,my problem is one look at that dipstick and i would have known "total loss" and would minimum have a fresh short block on the stand waiting for this one to come out.from what i can see we are still at the head scratching stage and it's been weeks.
idk,i solve my problems like ripping off a bandaid.the longer you linger the more it hurts(for everyone).
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Havok_RLS2

I was thinking that too is which case Frank should have brought that to his attention.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 AM
thefireboy

yes it was but it was also said by dave that the turbo was fine and just A blade was alittle bent and it was fine.... and then this is found in tear down... this turbo should have been removed and frank would have had it rebuilt.. hands down...
Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
I was thinking that too is which case Frank should have brought that to his attention.
if frank knew how bad the turbo was he would of had it replaced for reworked hands down..
Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

The car had the oil filled all the way to the full line on the dipstick (a no no with the APS kit) and the dipstick oil was shiney and clean. I know Frank only fills to the low mark on the stick since he told me this like 10 times during the first build. I'm sure there will be some questions here on what happened. I expect there will be zero resolution though.

The next build will be done at one single shop for 100% sure. At this pont I don't think the shops have spoken to each other about my car and any resolution, but I am not 100% certain.

The reality is that to replace what I had with the same upgrades plus labor is easily $18-20K . Trust me on this that I am not exaggerating one bit here on the cost. That number even assumes that the block can still be used, if not, tack on another $2K or so.

I am making arrangements to pick up all my parts in the coming week and have the car towed to my house. I'm not sure where the mouse came from, but I need to have the car in my possesion now for my own piece of mind. I have slim hope that this all works out right now, but it doesn't seem that will be the case. I am not willing to settle for anything less than I had in terms of parts or power, so I guess we will see what this week brings.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 AM
go-fast
Banned

amazing what a rag can do ain't it?someone owes you a turbo.

what does the hot side look like?if you where passing chunks it should show up.with that much material gone i would consider the intercooler a loss as well.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by thefireboy
yes it was but it was also said by dave that the turbo was fine and just A blade was alittle bent and it was fine.... and then this is found in tear down... this turbo should have been removed and frank would have had it rebuilt.. hands down...
True. I distinctly remember Chris posting that Dave told him the turbo was fine. Judging from the pic, it's obvious that it clearly was not satisfactory.

I'm starting to think that Chris will be better off to send his car out of the region to ONE SHOP!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

The bottom line analysis from Justice was that the motor failed due to massive oil starvation. The origin or cause of that issue remains unknown.

The failure was not found to be either a tuning issue or assembly error. All the bolts that were removed were torqued and pieces were all where they should have been.

I have no idea where this leaves me, but that is why I was asking the question even before teardown. Nobody was negligent (possibly), but I still don't have a car that I paid for and never took posession of, so how can any of this be on me .
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

The next build will be done at one single shop for 100% sure. At this pont I don't think the shops have spoken to each other about my car and any resolution, but I am not 100% certain.
I'm glad to see that you have come to this decision. IMO both shops have combined to f*ck up on your build six ways from Sunday. Hills Garage + Function Tuned has proven themselves not to be a good combination in your case. By judging from the mishaps in your build, it seems that AAM's fail continues by proxy.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:32 AM
nyqueenz

Originally Posted by go-fast
amazing what a rag can do ain't it?someone owes you a turbo.

what does the hot side look like?if you where passing chunks it should show up.with that much material gone i would consider the intercooler a loss as well.
you wouldn't see material in the exhaust side of th turbo bacause they are two sep chambers.. only why i would be inside the hot side if the metal fragments travels thur the engine..

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress