Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another GTM Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 AM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem Midz350. I asked about the other pipes but I don't think they are available. I haven't seen them on a car yet and when I asked Sam about it, I tend to recall that he said they are not ready yet?? Going from memory several weeks ago so don't quote me on that. I want to look into aftermarket strut tower bars. Does anyone know if there are any that will fit this kit?

Originally Posted by midz350
I may have a solution for this, but you have to cut the pipes a lil bit.

Sorry OP for the OT.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

setup looks nice.

I'm confused on GTM's setup though. Why would you wrap the charge pipes all the way down and around the front of the car when they could have just come out of the top of the intercooler and through the core-support then made the pre-turbo intake pipes wrap down and around since it really doesn't matter how long the non-boosted section of pipe is but it makes a good bit of flow difference having so many bends and turns on the post turbo charge pipes.

Just seems silly to have all that extra piping in there when it could have been simplified.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
setup looks nice.

I'm confused on GTM's setup though. Why would you wrap the charge pipes all the way down and around the front of the car when they could have just come out of the top of the intercooler and through the core-support then made the pre-turbo intake pipes wrap down and around since it really doesn't matter how long the non-boosted section of pipe is but it makes a good bit of flow difference having so many bends and turns on the post turbo charge pipes.

Just seems silly to have all that extra piping in there when it could have been simplified.
thought the same thing with mine, plus if u dont live in a weather friendly state your fender guards dont fit back on that well with the charge piping there. i relocated my driver side intake into the engine bay just by the core support (rains alot here) trying to figure some where to move my passenger side intake but its kinda crammed over there : /
Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
f150intally

Ace, you got any pictures of the relo?

Originally Posted by ace32x
thought the same thing with mine, plus if u dont live in a weather friendly state your fender guards dont fit back on that well with the charge piping there. i relocated my driver side intake into the engine bay just by the core support (rains alot here) trying to figure some where to move my passenger side intake but its kinda crammed over there : /
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
ace32x

sure do

Last edited by ace32x; 09-12-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
f150intally

Thanks. Only reason I could think that he wants to pick up the air in the front bumper could be to underhood temps? Not sure about the routing of pipes though.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I hydrolocked my engine because of that stupid design.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by midz350
I hydrolocked my engine because of that stupid design.
ya def not cool for areas that see rain/water
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Zume

so why is not SAM on here to explain "The Design" of the charge piping?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
binder

Originally Posted by f150intally
Thanks. Only reason I could think that he wants to pick up the air in the front bumper could be to underhood temps? Not sure about the routing of pipes though.
you can still have the air filter down in the front bumper without coming out the core support. It would actually be shorter piping since the turbo is already low. The pipe would just come forward then turn out and down to the fender then that leaves open the core support holes so the top intercooler pipes could go right through them for a direct route to the throttle bodies.

Mine from Boosted performance goes straight from the top of the intercooler through the core support for a straight pipe to the throttle body. The straighter the pipe the better the flow.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
binder

also, it takes A LOT of water to hydrolock an engine through a filter. The whole filter would have to be submerged. Think about it, people use water injection which is upwards of 500cc (so basically 1/2 a liter) per minute through their engines so a small amount of water won't produce damage.

I have my filter sitting right on my cross member which is about 3" off the ground (lowered car). I live in st louis and we get some insane spring storms here (tornado alley). We had a flash flood that washed away cars. I drive my car in the rain and have been for over a year with no issues. Same with my old honda. My CAI was about 4" off the ground and i drove it for 6 years rain or shine without a single issue. If the filter gets wet it will just suck air in through the dry portion. It's already covered in filter oil anyways which is hydrophilic (water repelling). The whole filter would have to be submerged to suck water and then it would have to be a lot of water to cause damage since 500cc per minute is what people use to cool engines through injection.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM
ace32x

also, it takes A LOT of water to hydrolock an engine through a filter. The whole filter would have to be submerged. Think about it, people use water injection which is upwards of 500cc (so basically 1/2 a liter) per minute through their engines so a small amount of water won't produce damage.

I have my filter sitting right on my cross member which is about 3" off the ground (lowered car). I live in st louis and we get some insane spring storms here (tornado alley). We had a flash flood that washed away cars. I drive my car in the rain and have been for over a year with no issues. Same with my old honda. My CAI was about 4" off the ground and i drove it for 6 years rain or shine without a single issue. If the filter gets wet it will just suck air in through the dry portion. It's already covered in filter oil anyways which is hydrophilic (water repelling). The whole filter would have to be submerged to suck water and then it would have to be a lot of water to cause damage since 500cc per minute is what people use to cool engines through injection.
boosting when its raining is no good with the filter in that location in my experience water still sucked through the filter and was getting on my maf, was no good lol
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
binder

Originally Posted by ace32x
boosting when its raining is no good with the filter in that location in my experience water still sucked through the filter and was getting on my maf, was no good lol
shouldn't hurt it. People spray water injection all the time. Some do spray directly on the maf to keep the car thinking intake temps are low so it wont pull timing.

who boosts in the rain anyways?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was injecting over 1L/min (15GPH) on my 1st build with no issues. Granted I had the flow to support that much injection

people use water injection which is upwards of 500cc (so basically 1/2 a liter) per minute through their engines so a small amount of water won't produce damage.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
ace32x

shouldn't hurt it. People spray water injection all the time. Some do spray directly on the maf to keep the car thinking intake temps are low so it wont pull timing.

who boosts in the rain anyways?
me lol
Old 09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
f150intally

Personally i have never seen a real issue with true hydrolocking. I think you would have to drive through water to experience that. Can you elaborate on your issue midz350?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM
failsafe306

No problem Midz350. I asked about the other pipes but I don't think they are available. I haven't seen them on a car yet and when I asked Sam about it, I tend to recall that he said they are not ready yet?? Going from memory several weeks ago so don't quote me on that. I want to look into aftermarket strut tower bars. Does anyone know if there are any that will fit this kit?
You mean these? https://my350z.com/forum/8651401-post26.html

Last edited by failsafe306; 09-13-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:20 PM
f150intally

Ok, I stand corrected.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
ace32x

Ok, I stand corrected.
he told me the same **** 6 months ago. "we dont have a jig up for them yet, we will soon dont worry" blah blah blah. yet theyve made atleast 4 cars that i know of with said pipes.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 PM
f150intally

you can still have the air filter down in the front bumper without coming out the core support. It would actually be shorter piping since the turbo is already low. The pipe would just come forward then turn out and down to the fender then that leaves open the core support holes so the top intercooler pipes could go right through them for a direct route to the throttle bodies.
I h
Mine from Boosted performance goes straight from the top of the intercooler through the core support for a straight pipe to the throttle body. The straighter the pipe the better the flow.
Maybe I'm not understanding the confusion but the air flows across the intercooler horizontally so you can't have both top pipes from the top go straight to the throttlebody. The intercooler is actually two cores welded together. From the front, the top left pipe feeds the intercooler exiting on the top right then going to the throttle body on the driver side. The bottom core flows left to right feeding the passenger side. Is this what you guys are asking about or is it merely the Turbo compressor inlet routing? The inlet routing really doesn't matter. I have another picture of all piping hooked up but have to upload it when I'm not on my tablet.

UPDATE: Posted latest photo...
Attached Thumbnails Another GTM Install-img951809.jpg  

Last edited by f150intally; 09-15-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Another GTM Install