Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger Comments from Vice President

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

(raising the limiter to 7100 rpm increases boost pressure to 9+ psi)
This is interesting. I wonder what the "boost curve" is from 6700-7100? Is he saying that you hit 9 psi AT 7100 or BEFORE it. Like I have posted before, I don't use the rev limiter for increased boost. I use it for SAFETY. Hitting the limiter is very bad with this kit as we all know. With the rev limiter at 7100, I am MUCH less likely to hit it. I still have my red blinking warning light (the one that tells you to shift) set at 6500 BTW! I will never rev past this!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:06 PM
fluidz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO YOU GUYS LIKE THIS KIND OF INFO?

Guys and Gals .............just wanted to find out if I am a "**** SUCKER" for posting what Ken (VP) emailed me or is this the "TRUTHFULL INFORMATION" you guys strive to find? Please let me know honestly and I will continue to stir up info regarding all MODS, or I will stop right now. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:10 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by takes12no1z

OTHERs:
I can only hope that one day some of you jackasses owns a business and gets attacked like this. The logic is pretty simple. 6 out of 100 failures means 94 successes? Let's say 10 people blew up thier engines? If there was a design issue, why wouldn't that be higher?

People who don't think logically always think they are being talked down to, when someone uses reason in a discussion. But sadly, your not being talked down to, you just FEEL that way, just like typical anti-business liberals.
I've owned a business before, and when my customers were unhappy, i took care of their needs........i didn't blame them for being unhappy.

If 6 people blew up their motors, and the other 94 heard about it, don't you think that other 94 would change their driving habits to avoid such a catastrophe?......wouldn't that lower the possibility of other failures?........of course it would

Please don't equate my loathing for ATI as being anti-business......i'm extremely conservative in my views.......ATI just happens to really suck.......why do you think they took down the superchargersonline forums?.......that forum was full of unhappy ATI customers.........if ATI isn't doing anything wrong, then they don't have anything to worry about........but if they are doing something wrong, this is how it gets exposed.........by people coming together, sharing their experiences, and going through the proper channels to get ATI held accountable for their actions.......thats why those proper channels exist, for companies like ATI
Old 12-17-2003, 04:11 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by daking350
Well I guess everyone who went to the CT XXX tuning day better get re-tuned from what your telling me...
The guys car put out 386whp with an A/F of 12:6.1 and thats similar to the way they tuned everyone elses car...Soooo I guess THEY are to blame to now as far as ATI is concearned...$hit, why not blame the guy who pumped your gas wile were at it...
Hey, I was just asking a question...just so you know. The fact that it put out 386 whp says it probably was tuned for maximum power, which I think is where some people are getting into trouble. Why push it...we already have higher than optimum compression ratio and timing maps that weren't meant for f/i. At that a/f ratio, anything could put it over the edge...hotter weather, fuel quality, i/c heat soak, ecu "learning" algorithm changing something, etc.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
12SecZ

FuidZ keep on keeping on.

Bonz your warranty is null and void because in your profile it link to your Dr, stuff and ATI reads all of this and now you are screwed.

Sorry.

You are not what they consider "stock" anymore. You can sell your everlasting Gobstopper to Slubrock now if you like lol.

Welcome to our world.

ATI Blows hot air and cold ya see?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:15 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default Re: DO YOU GUYS LIKE THIS KIND OF INFO?

Originally posted by fluidz
Guys and Gals .............just wanted to find out if I am a "**** SUCKER" for posting what Ken (VP) emailed me or is this the "TRUTHFULL INFORMATION" you guys strive to find? Please let me know honestly and I will continue to stir up info regarding all MODS, or I will stop right now. Thank you in advance.
you are my frickin' hero......please don't stop!!!!!........this is the kind of stuff ATI's customers need to know.........this is the best thread i've seen in a long time
Old 12-17-2003, 04:21 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by GaryK
Hey, I was just asking a question...just so you know. The fact that it put out 386 whp says it probably was tuned for maximum power, which I think is where some people are getting into trouble. Why push it...we already have higher than optimum compression ratio and timing maps that weren't meant for f/i. At that a/f ratio, anything could put it over the edge...hotter weather, fuel quality, i/c heat soak, ecu "learning" algorithm changing something, etc.
Well then EVERYONE there was tuned for MAX power cause the dyno #'s were all in the 370's hp...Unless they dont know what they are doing at XXX..Which I doubt is the case they seemed pretty efficient there...I dont think the kit should be THAT much on the edge of FAME or FAILURE...

EJ-----You win the ATI quote of the YEAR!!!
ATI just happens to really suck.......
Old 12-17-2003, 04:25 PM
ZedZed

I can't say ATI is right or wrong, but in regards to ANY modifications you make to a car;

"YA PAYS YA MONIES AND YA TAKES YA CHANCES"
Old 12-17-2003, 04:37 PM
GaryK

Well then EVERYONE there was tuned for MAX power cause the dyno #'s were all in the 370's hp...Unless they dont know what they are doing at XXX..Which I doubt is the case they seemed pretty efficient there...I dont think the kit should be THAT much on the edge of FAME or FAILURE...

EJ-----You win the ATI quote of the YEAR!!!
ATI just happens to really suck.......
Dude I'm not trying to get into an argument here, I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing. But it is possible that they didn't know about or consider the other variables. And you know that people will judge a tuner on how much power he can get out of a car, so they could be trying to wring out as much as possible. I think this is one of those gray areas where ATI has to default to the position that they can't control all the variables, and therefore can't automatically take responsibility for all blown engines.

Tuning this kit at an a/f ratio of 12.6 is a risk. This does not mean it is absolutely guaranteed to blow the engine. But, if something is off just a little bit, then one could go boom. You can run that lean with f/i, but it could be called a ticking timebomb. Sooner or later, it will probably have a problem in this applicaton.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 PM
daking350
Banned

I understand Gary...But I did not know 12.5 was a Lean A/F ratio..
Old 12-17-2003, 04:55 PM
BLOBYU

Perhaps someone should enlighten all of us what the a/f is. what the ideal compression ratio is. what the timing conditions should be and explain why if we know this why ATI ignores it. Could anyone edumacate us?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:01 PM
12SecZ

It's in the manual anything over 12.5 is lean, Gary Carver is correct and makes a heck of a sandwhich!

11-12.5 EGT under 800 degrees.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:02 PM
jesseenglish

I understand Gary...But I did not know 12.5 was a Lean A/F ratio..
Well, I think 12.5:1 is safe, but just. The main reason I say that is because of the unknowns of the 350Z intake. If one cylinder is getting even 10% less air than the others that throws the average AF ratio off. Everyone who's tuning their cars is taking an average AF ratio. Personally, my average is of the left cylinder bank of 3 cylinders.

The only way to ensure that all cylinders are getting the appropriate AF ratio is to install an O2 sensor on the output of each cylinder, which is prohibitively expensive. Thus the reason why I tuned mine for 11.5:1 average AF ratio, just to be safe.

Jesse
Old 12-17-2003, 05:10 PM
GaryK

Originally posted by BLOBYU
Perhaps someone should enlighten all of us what the a/f is. what the ideal compression ratio is. what the timing conditions should be and explain why if we know this why ATI ignores it. Could anyone edumacate us?
A/F is the air to fuel ratio. The range of desirable ratios for forced induction is not the same as what you'd want for n/a applications. You will need to run a lower ratio (more fuel) with forced induction.

For forced induction, you normally want a much lower compression ratio than what the vq35 has. It is dependant somewhat on how much boost you want to run, but on average around 9:1. Higher compression can be dealt with, but you will have to stick to low boost levels and take other precautions.

The timing maps in the stock ecu are obviously for an n/a application. While not optimum for forced induction, they can be used if the boost is kept low, the intake charge is kept relatively cool, and high octane fuel is used. The biggest problem with the stock timing is the amount it ramps up in the upper rpm range. Ideally, the timing would be reduced be several degrees up in this area and also reduced a small amount even at lower rpms.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Max, if they didn't already know, they sure do now. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-17-2003, 06:33 PM
fluidz

Default Even More from Vice President

More from Vice President will be posted at 10:00am PST on 12/18/03...........cant copy and paste from this comp................
Old 12-17-2003, 10:32 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Excellent
Old 12-17-2003, 10:50 PM
daking350
Banned

Hey EJ, do me a favor, when you get a chance count the teeth on your compessor cog pulley....I wanna see something...PM me tomorrow with the results..
Old 12-17-2003, 10:58 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

No problem
Old 12-18-2003, 01:10 AM
MR RIZK

Okay I'm lost. Why is the Vortech kit better than the ATI. Just becuase it has timing retard unit? I prefer the build of the ATI over the Vortech so fitting a timing unit to the ATI would help prevent any issues arising?

How about water injection or IC water spray kit?

Quick Reply: Procharger Comments from Vice President