Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger Comments from Vice President

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 03:16 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Okay I'm lost. Why is the Vortech kit better than the ATI. Just becuase it has timing retard unit? I prefer the build of the ATI over the Vortech so fitting a timing unit to the ATI would help prevent any issues arising?
Aside from aesthetics, which we could argue about forever, yes the timing retard is one advantage the Vortech has. You could add timing control to the ATI kit and avoid the issues that might arise from running too much timing.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:27 AM
BigTwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about water injection or IC water spray kit?
Those are just bandaids.

Note - I can't believe I just read all four pages of this thread.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:42 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Okay I'm lost. Why is the Vortech kit better than the ATI. Just becuase it has timing retard unit? I prefer the build of the ATI over the Vortech so fitting a timing unit to the ATI would help prevent any issues arising?

How about water injection or IC water spray kit?
With the ATI you need to pull off the front end of your car just to clean the air filter.......not so with the Vortech, their's is right on the blower
Old 12-18-2003, 08:39 AM
f r e z N Y

Default Re: Procharger Comments from Vice President

Originally posted by fluidz
but the use of nitrous is always a
red flag for engine longevity.
As is any Forced Induction, but it doesn't positively identify the engine as damaged goods before the procharger kit.

By that logic, an ATI kit that is installed on a Z, then removed, should also raise red flag's if the another ATI kit is to be installed on the same car.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:00 AM
daking350
Banned

Default Re: Re: Procharger Comments from Vice President

Originally posted by f r e z N Y
As is any Forced Induction, but it doesn't positively identify the engine as damaged goods before the procharger kit.

By that logic, an ATI kit that is installed on a Z, then removed, should also raise red flag's if the another ATI kit is to be installed on the same car.

True...True...Just curious..How many engines blew from N2O so far.....ummmmm..ONE..On a full race car spraying 400hp...And only cause a selenoid stuck open..How many engines toasted from ATI???6? thats right 6.......Do the math kiddies!!!ATI+350Z=
Old 12-18-2003, 10:10 AM
ravaz

I thought it was 2 cars that blew with Nitrous.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:12 AM
GaryK

Default Re: Re: Re: Procharger Comments from Vice President

Originally posted by daking350
True...True...Just curious..How many engines blew from N2O so far.....ummmmm..ONE..On a full race car spraying 400hp...And only cause a selenoid stuck open..How many engines toasted from ATI???6? thats right 6.......Do the math kiddies!!!ATI+350Z=
Where are the 6? I thought this was just a rumor that somebody started. Aren't there only 3 confirmed?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:41 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default New Zoo Review

well let's review:

Nitrous- 1 car-2 motors-both blown on purpose with the intention of finding the VQ35DE's limits.

ATI Procharger:
1)MaxHax
2)ravaz
3)Topics II
4)daking350's friend
5&6) 2 motors confirmed to be replaced by Performance Nissan, both of which had Prochargers on them
Old 12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
daking350
Banned

Default Re: New Zoo Review

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
well let's review:

Nitrous- 1 car-2 motors-both blown on purpose with the intention of finding the VQ35DE's limits.

ATI Procharger:
1)MaxHax
2)ravaz
3)Topics II
4)daking350's friend
5&6) 2 motors confirmed to be replaced by Performance Nissan, both of which had Prochargers on them
There ya go!!!thats 6....ps my buddy was stock except FI...
Old 12-18-2003, 12:48 PM
ravaz

Default Re: New Zoo Review

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
[B]Nitrous- 1 car-2 motors-both blown on purpose with the intention of finding the VQ35DE's limits.[B]
I thought mjedens blew his heads with Nitrous? I might be wrong but I thought he said that.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:31 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default Re: Re: New Zoo Review

i found that thread.....here's what he said:

Originally posted by mjedens
I destroyed a head & 4 valves because of a fuel additive ( NX Power Boost) while I was on a Dyno!
Old 12-19-2003, 10:13 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

LOL........after reading through the VP's comments again, i think the part i love the most is this quote:

So if we add ignition retard as standard equipment, then we have to raise the price of the system, and the majority of customers receive something they don't want, or they have to ask dealers to omit the ignition retard from the system and receive a discount.
put this pic in the manual, and nobody will be asking them to "omit the ignition retard":
Attached Thumbnails Procharger Comments from Vice President-jeff-piston-1.jpg  
Old 12-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Black LS1 T/A

Default ATI, come on over to LS1Tech.com

WE will appreciate advice you share with us.

I will say this:

ATI Procharger D-1SC on my stock 1998 Trans Am took me from running in the 13's to low 11's. I even ran a best of 10.98 at 126 MPH! ...In the 10's with a STOCK LS1 engine. (This was at 9 1/2 to 10 PSI, with a little octane booster or some 100 Octane mized in.

I ran in the mid-11's at 7 PSI peak and 93 Octane pump gas.

And yes, a few more RPMs at the top of the rev will sharply spike boost. I would see a smooth curve up to 5 PSI up to about 6000 RPMs, THEN, when I jumped the shift point to 6500 PRMs, I would see 7 PSI. (My stall flashed at about 3500 at the time.)

The difference between 6000 RPMs and 6500 RPMs with a smaller pulley was about 8 PSI and 10 PSI.

ATI has given me OUTSTANDING technical support as long as I've had my car. They have outright replaced components that I thought they would have made me buy (my D-1SC normally got only a 1-year warranty), and always provided detailed information and advice to me when I called for it.

My engine had over 60,000 miles on it when I put it on, and had over 85,000 on it when I decided I wanted a built 422.

The only complaint I would have at this time is the unit I bought hs some belt slippage issues with a quick-revving, high torque engine. But, I don't think it was really designed for the kind of power I'm getting from it right now.

(Stock, I made 486 RWHP, 487 RWTQ. With my 422, at about 10 PSI, I made 549 RWHP, 757 RWTQ. Obviously I have traction problems, now. )

When you go Forced Induction, you are in a different ballpark from N/A guys with how to tune your car. Careful attention must be paid to A/F ratios, timing and watching out for detonation. This is part of the FI game.

But, ATI gains have amazed me: a 65% increase in RWHP on a STOCK engine at only 10 PSI? A 37% increase in RWHP at only 5 to 7 PSI? This is no ATI claim... this is my personal experience.

I don't know what axe some of you guys have to grind with ATI... I'd be interested to hear how you are doing with Vortech. The MAJORITY of the fastest cars at our forum that run FI and no Nitrous are running ATI Procharger. I think the majority of people are going with ATI because they are easier to install and provide the greatest gains, all other things being equal

Good racing to ya!

Michael
Old 12-20-2003, 03:46 PM
ravaz

Michael, I'm from Raleigh, are you over on the HPJ board?

Bill
Old 12-20-2003, 05:19 PM
zimbo

Default Re: ATI, come on over to LS1Tech.com

Originally posted by Black LS1 T/A
I don't know what axe some of you guys have to grind with ATI... I'd be interested to hear how you are doing with Vortech. The MAJORITY of the fastest cars at our forum that run FI and no Nitrous are running ATI Procharger. I think the majority of people are going with ATI because they are easier to install and provide the greatest gains, all other things being equal
Your number of posts explains why you don't know why the axe is being ground.

Since the Vortech has only been out for a couple of weeks, comparing number of installs is statistically invalid. IMO, the Vortech install is safer due to better fuel and timing management and the ability to modify the A/F ratio via the piggyback ECU with a laptop. It's also cheaper than the ATI, is it not?

Lastly, the *only* Vortech numbers I know of are mine and I opted for very conservative tuning. Plus I have the G35 sedan and not a 350Z so my numbers are going to be lower due to ECU and exhaust differences. Assuming the same percentage increase I saw, I would expect a stock Z with a dyno of 230 rwhp be at or around 350 rwhp with the Vortech when tuned to an 11.5 A/F ratio.

--Steve
Old 12-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Black LS1 T/A

Default Re: Re: ATI, come on over to LS1Tech.com

Originally posted by zimbo
Your number of posts explains why you don't know why the axe is being ground.

--Steve
I don't have to have a thousand posts to know what an ATI Procharger is capable of or what their service is like since I've been a customer for over two years, now do I?

I guess that means your meaningless comment about post count means... well, nothing.

ATI has proven larger power gains than Vortech for years. That's one reason why Vortech has a smaller market share than ATI. So much smaller, in fact, that it appears Vortech employees are sowing misinformation to try to sabotage ATI sales. That is sad.

Why don't you go head to head with ATI and Vortech... same kit, same car, and get proven results?

And you say the Vortech for your car just came out? I'll visit back a few months from now and see how many complaints pop up about it later. However, if the Procharger is STILL outselling (and outperforming) the Vortech unit, there will still be more ATI complaints because that is the real game in town. 5% complaint rate for 100 ATI kits is more kits than 20% complaint rate for 10 Vortech kits.

Seriously, I don't really knock Vortech as a blower... if you want cute, it's awesome. And there is something to be said for cute cars. But, if you want best performance, Procharger still takes the lead.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:50 PM
jcv

Where did this come from? Sounds somewhat like an ATI shill or troll maybe?

Last edited by jcv; 12-20-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:58 PM
zimbo

Default Re: Re: Re: ATI, come on over to LS1Tech.com

Seriously, I don't really knock Vortech as a blower... if you want cute, it's awesome. And there is something to be said for cute cars. But, if you want best performance, Procharger still takes the lead.
I'm a fellow Raleigh guy so I'm all about spreading the love... Had the ATI kit fit on my car (it doesn't) I might have put it on my G35 sedan.

In the spirit of helping me understand, please tell me specifically how the ATI kit FOR THE 350Z is superior to the Vortech kit FOR THE 350Z and why I would expect to get more boost from it ON THE 350Z.

--Steve
Old 12-20-2003, 11:34 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default Re: Re: Re: ATI, come on over to LS1Tech.com

But, if you want best performance, Procharger still takes the lead.
If you want your car to blow up, Procharger takes the lead there too
Old 12-21-2003, 03:08 AM
Black LS1 T/A

Originally posted by jcv
Where did this come from? Sounds somewhat like an ATI shill or troll maybe?
Another pointless comment. Is that what is to be expected here?

Quick Reply: Procharger Comments from Vice President