Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Back home lets build!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have your fuel lines run inside the car?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

now they are, they where run along the top of the trans tunnel since there was plenty of room but it was getting pretty hot there, so i dint feel comfortable with it and changed it up some. if knew it was going to end up like this i wouldnt have spent so much on stainless braided line and just went regular stainless hardline =/

i always had lines inside though since i dont have the firewall built in the back yet, no fuel fumes though after it aired out from the initial install from pulling the oem pump ect, but im going to mount a fire extinguisher anyway, dont see needing it thouh

post 78 was updated with pics also

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-03-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
jerryd87

lots and lots of wiring and finishing this up past couple days. paint has some damage though now from still being soft after 30 hours(im guessing the high humidity here) ill give it 3 or 4 weeks and see if it buffs out though. goals for this week are finish putting interior back in, finish wiring (need to wire acc wire for meth controller and rewire it to pump and solenoid since was having issues of it not turning the pump on, gona try wiring in series.), hook up fuel lines in trunk area, and finally install vacuum pump. next week if the cams are finally on there way ill start building the engine.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks interesting, No radio? no AC controls ?

dude BTW can you look at the back of the heads you got for sale if there is some kind of imprint to where the exhaust cam sensor would go, like on the rev up.
My damn shop has my revup heads for 6 weeks now trying to line hone the cam towers, they are giving me the run around , not picking up, telling me for the 2nd week that they are on the machine getting linehoned.
Since I cant find a set of revup heads for sale I thought I might be able to take it to another shop to have them drill out the holes for the exhaust cam sensors
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
jerryd87

no radio i had to turn it up so loud that i dint enjoy listening to it to hear over the exhuast, hurt my ears(i could hear it lower but not clearly couldnt understand most songs). ac controls are still there in the shifter piece but i have no heat or ac. in hawaii so i always roll around with the windows down. when i get back to the mainlandwe are gona get a third car anyway. sell wifes car before we leave and then purchase and evo, sti, or new awd turbo fusion when we get to next duty station, ill prob get a truck as well since by then wife will be finished with school and making double what she does now as clinical medical assistant. so really no need for heat or ac, ill install it again down the road if things change though.

heads do have a sort of boss back there like what your wanting could be done. would def take it to a shop you 100% trust though if you plan on doing it. pretty much looks idential to where the intake came sensors plug in except no holes. ill take pics and pm yah with em later tonight pm me your zip so i can try and get a shipping quote at the same time.

oddly enough i dint notice before how the greddy has a slight tilt to it, its far less noticeable in person.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 AM
jerryd87

officially on block leave today so devoted some time to starting the engine although i was def lazy today. got one head half tore apart with everything labeled and cleaned gotta still do the exhuast valves and springs. also began measuring everything for the engine build, no pics yet since i havnt started assembly(honestly its no dif then what you can find on youtube, not very many ways to measure correctly lol.) butttttt looks like my clearances are going to be spot on what i wanted. im able to match the rods up to crank journals so ill have .0035-.0036 on all my rods, still gotta measure block bores to find those clearances but im hoping it will be similar.

hopefully ill get my cams next week, apparently my order from kelford still has not made its way into the U. S. so z1 is gona try and get me a set of cams in short order, gona just end up with the larger tomei 272's it looks like. hoping to have her back on the road in about 2 weeks.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-13-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
jerryd87

spend a couple days cleaning one of the heads and installing new valve seals, springs and retainers

tomarrow im going to hook everything back up in the trunk area, reinstall pass seat and seat belt. thursday i intend to hook up the brake vacuum pump finally, friday do the other head. saturday or sunday ill end up finally assembling the engine probably. been putting it off since cams wont ship till around the 25th. i have to go through some loops with devils own though because apparently the controller they sent me is a dud, dosnt provide enough voltage to kick on the pump even with the full setting turned down to 5 psi and providing 5 psi. gona try and get the voltage unit since ive been kinda nervous with a bunch of stories online saying they have had issues with the dvc-30. tempted to just get a pressure switch and just have the pump come full on at like 15 psi.

also if anyone is curious the spring compressor is a l head/in head spring compressor from sears like 25 bucks. i use the spring arms to cup the valve and then the rod that normally holds the valve shut to press on the spring. gotta cut up a socket to press evenly though. i cut about 1/4 of the socket away on each side so i have two larger windows. otherwise it works like the jwt unit except just one spring at a time, not sure how the jwt stops the spring from cocking sideways though.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
konrad

JWT uses a bucket with the center cur open so the spring doesnt move and you got space to put the keepers in. I bought that Compressor when I had leaking seals and didnt want to remove the head
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM
jerryd87

ahhhh yah, i dint want to spend that much for the jwt one. i paid like 25 for this one and used a extra evolve 12 pt socket i had, which is worth like a dollar. willing to bet the jwt is probably simpler to use though.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:51 AM
konrad

Originally Posted by jerryd87
ahhhh yah, i dint want to spend that much for the jwt one. i paid like 25 for this one and used a extra evolve 12 pt socket i had, which is worth like a dollar. willing to bet the jwt is probably simpler to use though.
the first time unchanged my springs when the heads were off the car I used some Sears spring compressor, that had to use a socket also to reach. I only got the jwt coz I didnt want to remove the.head to replace 2 seals
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
jerryd87

i have been a absolute slacker, especially since i still dont have my cams. some new stock is supposed to get into the US on friday so hopefully i have them next week sometime. anyway heres some updates, how i cut the wastegate dump so it fires down without scraping. cleaned up the fuel pump area and added some wire loom to protect wires, still need to flip around the fuel pumps and recut the lines to length. fresh engine is in, still havnt cleaned the other head and installed the new hardware though, gona work on that tonight. goal for the end of the week is to have the heads on and everything tightened and back on under the car(basically the intake and compressor pipes, y pipe, and headers.) hopefully the cams come in next week so i can stick those in and get the engine buttoned up.

also still waiting to hear from devils own injection for my methanol controller, hopefully ill have that back(well the pressure switch im replacing it with.) by the end of the week and i can wire that up pretty quickly with a relay to kick on the pump and solenoid above 15 psi boost.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
jerryd87

ill get pics tomorrow, damn kid will not leave the camera or phones alone he for some reason knows where i hide them even if i forget, but it was a good day for progress. heads are on and torqued to 90 ft lbs, lower intake is on, exhuast is on, back coolant pipe is on, exhaust under the car is back on, turbo intake as well as charge pipes up to the intercooler are all back on. tomarrow ill do the oil cooler, hook the turbo oil feed and oil pressure sensor back up prob put the injectors back in and run the new lines to the firewall and hook the fuel pressure sensor back up as well as run the signal line for the oil temp sensor. by monday im pretty much going to be waiting on the cams to finish the engine up and get this beast back on the road.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Exciting stuff!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
jerryd87

i know mayby ill finally make it to a vq inc meet instead of pretending like i own a z just to say i own one lol
Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM
jerryd87

dint get much dont today raining off and on so i dint want to unwrap the engine. i did relocate the power steering cooler, i like it here better and the horns are now tucked behind the core support but it wont work if you have AC. stole jeffs idea for mounting oil cooler and i had to pull the intercooler back off to do the power steering cooler not really needed but i like it better there and will be easy to switch to something else down the road if i need to. what i did do since it was raining is spend half the day trying to get the one bolt loose on one of the old exhuast cams, how the hell anyone broke these things is beyond me. clamped it in a vice, breaker bar did nothing, 500 ft lb impact did nothing, beating on the cam itself trying to break it did nothing now im working on cutting it off with the dremel but ran out of cutoff wheels. dont wanna use a full size for risk of ruining the bolt but i might have to and just buy a new bolt retarded that sprocket is 90 bucks.

and pics i promised yesterday, not much to see outside how i redid the stuff up front and they suck pretty bad im horrible at taking pics, i will say im suprised the meagan headers fit so well i dint have to modify them at all. not too worried about them cracking since bp kit has a support for the turbo. you can see all the wrap and ceramic paint though i doubt the paint will hold up. the headers have jet hot by previous owner under the wrap though.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
i will say im suprised the meagan headers fit so well i dint have to modify them at all. not too worried about them cracking since bp kit has a support for the turbo.
You are the second person in the last week or so to say that the Megan headers are a great fit. That is good to hear.

They won't crack,because like you said there is no weight on them at all. They are free to expand during heat cycles as well because of the flex pipe
between the two banks. This is key.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome, i'm glad you like that location for the oil cooler. Seemed like the simplest place to install it for me. Your cooler is quite a bit taller (which means wider when mounted like this). How "tall" is yours? I want to get a larger one even though my little guy is keeping my temps cool as is.

also, i have crappy JVT headers for 3 years now with no cracks. The support hangers for the turbo work great for keeping pressure off the headers.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 PM
jerryd87

its about 8.5 inchs wide including the fittings(or tall in the way your talking about it.), but yah the location is great i havnt tried fitting the bumper yet but it dosnt look like it will be a problem. the only issue i had with the meagans is a couple of the studs required the use of a wrench instead of socket when bolting them to the heads but without the heat wrap might have been able to use a socket. i was pretty amazed that fit as well as they did i was expecting to need to elongate holes or something lol. really excited to get this thing going i requested a update on my cams as well as a price and availability from dynosty on 272's so i should get that monday.

the set i originally ordered was staggered BUT the actual grinds where something kelford already produced(stage 1 NA intake stage 2 FI exhuast) theres no reason it should have taken 5 months like it has. on top of that im still not even getting the staggered set i have to settle for the standard 272's which im not happy about. so if i dont have date they are not on there way to me by the middle of ext week im asking for my money back and going else ware. Sad i had to do the same thing(threaten to take my money back) to get my pistons shipped to me 3 months after the payment cleared my bank.

the cams are quite honestly the only thing holding me up now i could potentially have her running next weekend, but then still waiting on my travel voucher money(they sent me a email on the 8th that it was put into the system and i would have my money in 7 to 10 days >.< called them and they told me they dint actually put it into the system till the 16th and its still waiting on someone to review it they are currently working on vouchers entered on the 1st they are pretty useless) to have tires 2 day aired to me for the tsw interlaggos i have literally no one stocks 285 tires on island..........or pretty much anything wider then 265 and i have to go with falkens to get that wide.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-26-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM
jerryd87

taught that damn bolt a lesson >.< did slip and catch the face of the sprocket just a little bit but i dont think it will hurt it. balance shouldnt be affected since we are talking grains of weight plus there are three all about 60 degrees apart so should be nearly stock haha. now i just need to order a new bolt for a couple bucks.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:27 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn, mine have always come off easy! I hate stuck bolts

Quick Reply: Back home lets build!