Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sound Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you Cass... I'm not overly impressed with my experience; my car has been down for weeks with no timeframe until now (if you can call it a time frame, more like a dim light in the tunnel). Still no callback after several messages including someone taking down my number for Reid to call me back... I still don't have a tracking number or ship date, but at least at this point I'm not in the bit bucket and someone acknowledged my order. If it weren't for the support of the community I would have assumed they were going out of business and my efforts were futile.

Now let's hope that once I receive the product everything works out/fits/ect.... I'm really not looking forward to the possibility of obtaining customer support or having to return anything.

Last edited by djamps; 07-19-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats pretty much how SP is though..... I've never seen soo much done by so few guys. From phone to dyno to tig table to wiring desk to solder station to belt sander, etc. I doubt there are many shops where the front man does everything.

Long time ago it was either the SP kit or the SFR. Never got up with Larry and Tim was quick to get back so Tim made a big $ sale.

Now that I have the Proefi, I try to keep up with those guys as best as I can.

Originally Posted by Cass007
unless they are trying to be the owner/manager/parts guy/mechanic/tuner/fabricator all at the same time.

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-19-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well im sorry to hear anyone unhappy with their experience. Sp is a small shop with big big results. I had a good experience, maybe it was during a less busy time of the year?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
djamps

I'm really not trying to diss them or anything... just sharing a story here and possible advice...I worked at a small stereo shop at one point (mom and pop shop) where we did lots of high end stuff and were often swamped... but even as a small time shop like that, probably taking in way less revenue than SP, could afford to hire a dumb blonde just out of high school (no offense ladies) to answer the phone, smile at customers, sweep and clean things, manage inventory, ect...
Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by djamps
I'm really not trying to diss them or anything... just sharing a story here and possible advice...I worked at a small stereo shop at one point (mom and pop shop) where we did lots of high end stuff and were often swamped... but even as a small time shop like that, probably taking in way less revenue than SP, could afford to hire a dumb blonde just out of high school (no offense ladies) to answer the phone, smile at customers, sweep and clean things, manage inventory, ect...
That's true but how many times have you called and had important questions? Tracking orders is one thing, but I know almost every single time I called aside from wondering where an order was, I had a question beyond what a regular highschool kid could answer.

Infact, that's part of the reason why I love working with dynosty or SP. I call and I get "technical" quick. I want someone like hal's experience setting up cars, or reid's experience with how turbos act. I've done my research sure, but I still would like the input of someone who knows far more than I do and has done what I'm doing a million times over.
Even if they don't know specifically the answer I want, they usually understand the question you're asking.
Someone to answer phones is dead weight. IMHO I'd much rather talk to a tech/mastermind than a bish that's going to go "oh you mean you want the shiny option on your spinny thing?"

You get my drift.

That being said, if a performance shop wants to hire me for those side jobs and answering phones I'll do it! And I promise not to troll!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
djamps

Yea but talking to an answering machine and not getting any callbacks? I'd prefer someone who could at least get up and either pass the phone or give me updates by proxy on my order or questions.

Last edited by djamps; 07-19-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by djamps
Yea but talking to an answering machine and not getting any callbacks?? I'd prefer the dumb blond who can get up, walk to the back, ask a question, and come back and tell me what the deal is. We're talking orders here... not tech questions.
I hear ya I hear ya. I have had similar issues with pretty much every shop I've ordered from so far.

Eventually you just learn to ignore it kind of and have faith in the name, sadly. Or you just learn when to call, and just keep calling until you get your answer. That's what I usually do. It can get annoying when you're super busy and you don't have time (just adds stress like "where the f*** is that 4 grand I just spent?") but IDK what to tell you beyond that.
My entire build I've orchestrated through online purchases. There are only 2 parts in my engine I didn't get from online/over the phone and those I got through the nissan dealership (secondary oil retention-er and flywheel bolts), and we're talking upwards of 20k worth of stuff (not saying my build is particularly expensive, but that's still all the money I have to my name pretty much) coming from shops and people I've never even seen. It's not easy, and it does get stressful. But if you stick with the good shops, talk to the shops on the phone to find out when you'll get the parts BEFORE you order, you end up OK. So that does mean if you can't figure out a way to get ahold of a shop reliably you may not choose them. My 2c on the subject.

Beyond that building a car in my own time with only 1 friend to help, I've realized how time consuming this **** is. Ofcourse if you're a pro and not a noob like me, it's easier but imagining building cars for a living with only 3 people to help... SP does a very good job when I consider that.

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM
djamps

Just mentioning I did finally get a call back. Everything's good.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that's great. Only took 3 weeks.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow that's great. Only took 3 weeks.
Usually shops dont have what you want in stock. You have to wait for them to order it. Depending on the shop they will bill you when it comes in or before they order. This also depends on what part it is. Something custom/built to order like clutches and turbos need to be billed before they get it.
Im glad you had your hand held all the way through bert. I get the feeling you would have had 399,000 posts about how unhappy you were with every shops service.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread closed per OP request.