Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Reyes_USN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liljerk
production date : 12/01/02

tranny replaced : 7/03 : 19k miles (yes 19k)

Riverside Nissan, Tulsa, OK

wow production date for mine is oct 2002 it seems that the tranny is grinding from 2nd to 3rd, whats the warranty on tranny's
Old 06-15-2006, 07:12 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by Reyes_USN
wow production date for mine is oct 2002 it seems that the tranny is grinding from 2nd to 3rd, whats the warranty on tranny's
Well fortunately your warranty is not based on the Mfg. date, it's based on your date of purchase/miles, unless of course you got one used, then that's a whole other story.

You have the standard warranty, 3/36 and then variations of extended warranties, and if yours is expired, since this is a manufacturing problem, you may be able to get some kind of exception.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:22 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine
Well fortunately your warranty is not based on the Mfg. date, it's based on your date of purchase/miles, unless of course you got one used, then that's a whole other story.

You have the standard warranty, 3/36 and then variations of extended warranties, and if yours is expired, since this is a manufacturing problem, you may be able to get some kind of exception.
actually your wrong on both counts.

the warranty does start from the purchase date, however whether someone buys the Z used or not is irrelevant since its a manuf warranty. thus its coverage and length are the same no matter how many times its sold.

since he's asking about a trans grind problem, then it would be covered by his powertrain warranty which is 5yrs/60k miles.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:52 PM
tvalenZiano

Just got an 05 Roadster GT about 2 months ago--has less than 3k miles an di'm bringing it to service on Monday. Maybe you guys can give me som eammo, or advice because what I'm noticing doesnt seem as bad as most of these posts...

I'm getting a strong vibration, which results in some kind of metal hitting metal. It happens almost every time I shift into gears 1,2, or 3..dont notice it on 4, 5 & 6. Also, I normally have my car in gear when I shut it off/park. However, the other day for some reason I left it ou tof gear, and when I killed the engine, the same noise happened..The best description I can give, is that it sounds as if a bolt or two is loose where the tranny mounts up causing it to shake and make this noise....Or as if something is loose in the clutch/pressure plate department...I know this probably sounds dumb, but I want to be able to explain it better at the dealership, so if any of you know what this could be/have experienced it--PLEASE reply asap...Thanks guys..

Ps--on a side note, my brembos are squealing pretty bad when braking from about 15-20MPH to dead stop, and the whole time in between...Anyone have this problem?? I'm sure its probably not as big of a deal as the tranny--but figured while I was at it....
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 AM
ILLBZNU

Default 3rd gear

I lost 3rd gear. I had it replaced at Sheehy Nissan in Manassas, Va 05/2004.
They replaced it for free but voided my PT warranty due to my upgraded flywheel and clutch which is what they said the cause of the problem was.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
woo_z

Default Lost 3rd gear as well

30k miles... wouldn't shift in and out of third unless I held the clutch for a solid second first and was low RPM's. Whole new tranny. When I shift now, it clunks like it's an 83 Sentra Wagon. Dealer says, "that's normal". Yeah, it wasn't normal yesterday, pal.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:10 PM
drgon66

bought car at 35k miles got tranny changed at mossy nissan at 36k miles about 7 months ago
Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
johnny_domino

Tranny change 03/2006. 03' Z w/ 24,000 miles. Grind in 3rd at high RPMs
Old 06-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by showstoppertk

since he's asking about a trans grind problem, then it would be covered by his powertrain warranty which is 5yrs/60k miles.
So I could go to the Nissan dealership with my newly bought 2003 Z with 45k miles on it, and tell them to replace the tranny because 3rd gear grinds and shakes the whole car? That's awesome news
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 AM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by Fluid1
So I could go to the Nissan dealership with my newly bought 2003 Z with 45k miles on it, and tell them to replace the tranny because 3rd gear grinds and shakes the whole car? That's awesome news
I don't know if you could TELL them. They will have to test drive it and see what they find. If they say that it's normal, try another dealer. You probably have about 15 months left on your powertrain warranty. At this point since my car is on it's 3rd tranny, if it goes again I am demanding the 009 tranny which I belive is in the 05 and 06 Zs. They put in two 008 trannies so far.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:48 AM
alpine

What LIdrew said sounds about right, someone posted earlier that my view of how the warranty works was wrong, and I haven't had the time (or interest) really to respond to that, but there are varying angles about how warranties work, and I am not a NISSAN warranty expert.

It always makes sense to start off "nice" when talking about working with a dealer to get a problem solved.

Let us/me know what happens after you make your initial response, what area are you in?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by alpine
What LIdrew said sounds about right, someone posted earlier that my view of how the warranty works was wrong, and I haven't had the time (or interest) really to respond to that, but there are varying angles about how warranties work, and I am not a NISSAN warranty expert.

It always makes sense to start off "nice" when talking about working with a dealer to get a problem solved.

Let us/me know what happens after you make your initial response, what area are you in?
I didn't know my post sounded that way, but I would speak to the dealership with all the respect/regard they deserve. I know that being a dick doesn't get you far. Walking in with a plethora of information does, and that's what I'm attempting to gain before I go in to Nissan.

I'm in Charlotte, NC and will most definitely post my results.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:08 AM
alpine

I didn't know my post sounded that way, but I would speak to the dealership with all the respect/regard they deserve.
Don't sweat it, it wasn't a big deal, and that's what happens with B&W text sometimes, people read into it differently than you intended.

I know that being a dick doesn't get you far. Walking in with a plethora of information does, and that's what I'm attempting to gain before I go in to Nissan.
Good plan.

You're right, but unfortunately, we all know there are people who figure "they're a bad ***" and they are "going to make whoever do whatever they want".

I'm in Charlotte, NC and will most definitely post my results.
Looking forward to it!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:23 AM
DESINRZ

Default Tranny swap!

Got mine changed back early 2006 with 30,000 miles on the car.

Grinded into 3rd gear almost everytime.
2003 Track model.
Hits Perfect ever since, drives like a beauty,

Future Nissan of Roseville CA
(Because of the high rate of tranny replacements, Nissan now sends service Reps to inspect whether or not to replace your tranny, GL!!)
Old 06-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Fluid1

I feel it's similar to dealing with the Police. If you are nice, polite and knowledgable, not overbearing in any way, you'll get better treatment. I figure that if I'm honest, kowledgable and provide proof of precedent I shouldn't have too big an issue. I'll keep the guns holstered until there is no other choice.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
alpine

2 questions, what's this about:

Originally Posted by DESINRZ
Future Nissan of Roseville CA

and

Originally Posted by DESINRZ
(Because of the high rate of tranny replacements, Nissan now sends service Reps to inspect whether or not to replace your tranny,
Old 06-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Fluid1

+1 I'd like to know as well.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:57 AM
06Firebase

Question

I bought my car about a week ago now.

I'm still waiting for the details from my dealer, and I don't know the date, but my car did have the transmission replaced at around 7000 miles. (I'm now at 32,500 miles).

They also said they did the gas tank/gas line recall, and they fixed the "tire feathering" problem.

I guess there was a bad batch of transmissions?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 PM
bacalhau16

I just realized I never added myself.

03 Touring, had 34k, 3rd gear grind, replaced tranny and clutch too. I got the 009 tranny too. Feels great now.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
stepuckey

Just had mine replaced a couple days ago. 03 at about 37000. 1st replacement. Grind in 3rd almost every time, hard to get into 4th and 5th sometimes. New tranny is 009. Still pretty notchy. Wish it had the S2000 gearbox. Hopefully some royal purple helps smooth it out.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.