Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 AM
turbohappy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '06 with 3k miles and my tranny has sucked since the day I picked it up. Dealerships say it's normal, but the '05 I test drove before ordering my Z shifted pretty nice. So I don't think having an 009 tranny or whatever is a magic fix.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by turbohappy
I have an '06 with 3k miles and my tranny has sucked since the day I picked it up. Dealerships say it's normal, but the '05 I test drove before ordering my Z shifted pretty nice. So I don't think having an 009 tranny or whatever is a magic fix.
"the tranny has sucked" doesn't help anyone. Please provide details of the said 'sucking'
Old 07-03-2006, 09:22 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by Fluid1
"the tranny has sucked" doesn't help anyone. Please provide details of the said 'sucking'
+1
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Tekwon-V

does the tranny replacement include a clutch replacement? i've seen both ways after reading 1000s of pages haha.

41k miles and just started getting the 3rd gear grind.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM
bacalhau16

They replaced my clutch, and i didnt even ask for it. I wasnt even aware they were doing that until recently. I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago also.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM
RevLimitZ

I've got around 23k miles on my 05 and sixth gear is grinding bad. I have to baby it from 5th to 6th and can't even go from 4th to 6th w/o grinding badly. I'm pretty sure the syncros are going out or already gone. I've already talked to nissan and am bringing it in next week when i get back from the beach. The tech was like "well....I know it's not from jamming it in 6th at redline, not unless you drive like a buck fifty everywhere." I didn't reply
Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 PM
stepuckey

it's true, I have seen that a couple people have had some not-too-pleasant experiences at the stealership when it comes to the whole 'tranny replacement' issue...such as not replacing the clutch or having to pay a grand to replace the flywheel; but I would say on the whole, most nissan dealers you take it too anymore will almost take your word for it as far as having tranny problems. Especially this late in the game when most have probably replaced as many as the number of Z's they've sold! And to answer your question Tekwon-V, yes I believe it is Nissan protocol (you know what I mean) to replace the clutch and pressure plate along with the new tranny. Like I said before, there are certainly some exceptions of some techs being d*cks and not replacing the clutch, but I think they are the rare exception and not the standard.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:30 AM
TTRANK

My dealership did not replace my clutch so I had them put in a JWT and UR flywheel which they did for an extra $100 since they don't take off the flywheel otherwise. Given all my mods I did not complain.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Fluid1

I just scheduled an appointment with Superior Nissan here in Charlotte, with Justin. He tried to say that my warranty was up at the 48k miles on my odometer, but I called him on it and said that I knew the facts, ect. he said once they do a diagnostic he'll reevaluate. I'm yet to hit him with the phone number to National Consumer Affairs for Nissan.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I just scheduled an appointment with Superior Nissan here in Charlotte, with Justin. He tried to say that my warranty was up at the 48k miles on my odometer, but I called him on it and said that I knew the facts, ect. he said once they do a diagnostic he'll reevaluate. I'm yet to hit him with the phone number to National Consumer Affairs for Nissan.
That sucks that he came up with that statement of 48K, I don't know where that could even come from!

Keep us updated.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by Tekwon-V
does the tranny replacement include a clutch replacement? i've seen both ways after reading 1000s of pages haha.

41k miles and just started getting the 3rd gear grind.
As you'll see there have been some clutch replacements, but it is NOT mandatory, it all depends on the techs who are doing the job, you could probably ask for the clutch to be reviewed, and if there is "abnormal" wear, you could say that it was because you had difficulty dealing with the trans when it wouldn't shift into 3rd properly/with out noise and you had to shift up/down etc..etc.. to get into a gear that worked for the situation you were in each time.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by alpine
That sucks that he came up with that statement of 48K, I don't know where that could even come from!

Keep us updated.
I'll definitely keep everyone updated on my sitaution. I think he was referring to the 3/36 warranty. Shady *** Nissan Service employees.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 AM
turbohappy

Sorry, similar problems to everyone else in my 06. It's not grinding yet, but I get the start of a grind (grabs a couple teeth) in most gears, especially 3rd and 2nd. I was babying it, but since they won't fix it unless it's totally broken I have stopped and am just forcing it.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by turbohappy
Sorry, similar problems to everyone else in my 06. It's not grinding yet, but I get the start of a grind (grabs a couple teeth) in most gears, especially 3rd and 2nd. I was babying it, but since they won't fix it unless it's totally broken I have stopped and am just forcing it.
First, make sure you are depressing the clutch enough. I'm not inferring anything, it's just that is a very common cause of grind, especially if you 'baby' it, most people will be so gentle they are too gentle.

But yeah, I'd beat the crap out of it
Old 07-07-2006, 09:19 AM
BawlZTT

I have some pretty huge issues and need some help. My original tranny was replaced at 8000 miles. Then last month, my tranny locked up in 5th gear while shifting from 5th to 6th, I bought a used 03 tranny with 300 miles on it. Well, last night, I was down shifting from 5th to 4th and it happened again, locked up in 5th gear. I am now down until I get another tranny. Do you think Nissan would cover this with me being turbo'd? I don't understand how the exact same thing can happen in 2 different situations, 1 under load, and 1 not under load.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by alpine

Keep us updated.

Big update.

Took the Z to the dealership for Sunday night key drop. They call Monday morning at 8:30, and say that yes, the tranny is bad, and yes, they will replace it under warranty. So, cool.

Two hours later they call back.

"Sir, this is XXXXXXX with Nissan. Wanted to let you know that we dropped the tranny, and we will be replaing the transmission with an 008, 2003 replacement. We will also replace your clutch, but you need to purchase a new flywheel, new pilot bushing, new throw-out bearing, and a new pressure plate"

So I ask "how much?"

"$1583"

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

I laughed at the guy, and said I'd have to callhim back. He quickly tells me that if I refuse to get the additional things, they would not warranty anything they put in.

So, I call some other dealerships to price the parts.

The long and the short of it are after about 10 more conversations, he agrees to install a 009 tranny, and I will buy the full clutch kit and new flywheel from a dealer I can get a good deal from. So I order the parts, and speak to the technician again. He says that they will install everything (009 tranny, and the parts I bought) for $90.

I say that's fine, and my stuff gets in Friday. They will finish with my car next Monday.

For a total of $920 after it's all said and done (parts from different dealer and the $90 install fee they are hitting me up with all included)

There is a way to "win"
Old 07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been there man. I had to take my car in multiple times before I could get them to "replicate" the problem. at first they diagnoised the problem as the pressure plate, then when they tore into her they found out the clutch was toast, then they reinstalled everything test drove it and found it still had the grind so they finally agreed to replace the trans. they gave me the 008 and when I asked why I wasn't getting the 009 their gave me this BS about the 009's only being for 06 Z's. the long and short of it are that most nissan dealers I've dealt with are crap and don't know their a$$ from their elbow. oh well, I still love my Z.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Tekwon-V

i got mine done yesterday. i picked up the car today. the paperwork shows the 009 tranny and the "clutch disk" replacement. well, it saids "R&I" so i am assuming "remove and install" or something along that line.

obviously the 3rd gear grinding is gone. and the new one feels very stout. it feels like a T56 tranny. the engagement point seems a little bit higher then before but maybe that's because i was driving a tC for 2 days.

the in-neutral "clutch out" gargling problem is gone now too. overall, i am happy with the replacement and service. it will be interesting to see how this one holds up. lucky me for getting this problem corrected before the 50k mark. i was at 41k.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 AM
Fluid1

Did they tell you or advise you to get any other replacement parts, like flywheel or pressure plate?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Tekwon-V

no. nothing. i am assuming everything looked ok :-P but from what i've read, it looks like i got the "standard procedure".

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.