Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil change?! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
slimBUNIES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil change?! Help!!

I have a 2006 track with 20500 miles on it. I bought it used with 20000 miles and one of the first things i did was an oil change because i heard some rattling. The mechanic performing the oil change showed me the dipstick and the oil filter with completely black oil [the oil did not smell burnt out]. I start to hear the rattling around 20500 miles, so i check my dipstick. the oil is black again. I do not know what to do. I used Mobil 1 synthetic. what should i do?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
dmplaya786

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should still have factory warranty... might be an oil consumption issue take it to the dealer.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Little that you can tell from the color of oil. Its supposed to be black. Oil hold dirt. That's the way it works.

If you are concerned have the oil analysed.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Depending on what the oil level was on the dipstick, the OP may not have an oil consumption problem. Remember that oil turning black is not necessarily a problem; it means the detergent package in the oil is working.

Also, some grades of Mobil 1 may not be as good for your VQ35DE as you think. Start by reviewing this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-and-info.html

Your "rattle" could be the sign of detonation or even abuse. Did you get good service records from the previous owner? What brand and grade of gasoline are you using?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
slimBUNIES

Originally Posted by dkmura
Depending on what the oil level was on the dipstick, the OP may not have an oil consumption problem. Remember that oil turning black is not necessarily a problem; it means the detergent package in the oil is working.

Also, some grades of Mobil 1 may not be as good for your VQ35DE as you think. Start by reviewing this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-and-info.html

Your "rattle" could be the sign of detonation or even abuse. Did you get good service records from the previous owner? What brand and grade of gasoline are you using?
I'm hoping its a one time thing, and the oil is really working to "clean" the engine -the reason its black.

As for the rattling the previous owner did have a turbo kit installed and the vehicle was a seized street racer; but with 20000 miles?; it should not start showing signs of wear and tear right? The rattling occurs when after my acceleration over 4000rmp, it sounds like its coming from under the car. As for the gas, I only use Vpower from shell.

thats for the look out.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
got556

depends on how much boost he was running, how hard he beat on it, how good the tune was, etc. and if you were de-tuned after removing the FI or just left the turbo tune on there. Since it was FI'd previously that opens up a whole new bag of questions....concerns...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 AM
SoldzMyZ

How much of a deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? That doesn't sound good with the rattling plus the turbo kit revelation. Warranty work (cough cough). Just make sure all signs of after market turbokits are squared away.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Beka Z
Banned

Originally Posted by booey1979
How much of a deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? That doesn't sound good with the rattling plus the turbo kit revelation. Warranty work (cough cough). Just make sure all signs of after market turbokits are squared away.
+1 on the warranty work and where/what kind of deal you got...

If the owner was careless enough to have his vehicle seized in street racing, ask for the previous maintenance records (if you can get them) and any details about the kit and it's removal, what else was done to the car, driving habits etc... I know a few others with turbo kits that manage to completely blow their motors with much less than 20k miles.

hopefully it's something minor. good luck
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
slimBUNIES

Originally Posted by booey1979
i got it for 25,000; that's with the bank loan and everything. Ive asked for anything showing maintenance the dealership had nothing. I found out two weeks after i bought it, that it was auctioned. but my mechanic [the one i went to go see the car with] said 20k isnt enough for heavy damage.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by slimBUNIES
i got it for 25,000; that's with the bank loan and everything. Ive asked for anything showing maintenance the dealership had nothing. I found out two weeks after i bought it, that it was auctioned. but my mechanic [the one i went to go see the car with] said 20k isnt enough for heavy damage.
I hate to say it, but if you had a Z with FI and he ran it on the stock internals (I know some who have) wear goes up EXPONENTIALLY. Even after all the external parts have been removed, the rod and main bearings could be toast.

One way to check would be to get a used oil analysis done. If you read the link above, it's a relatively simple way to determine what is going on with your engine without pulling it down. But it doesn't look good (knowing your Z's history) and the warranty won't cover that type of abuse...
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slimBUNIES
I'm hoping its a one time thing, and the oil is really working to "clean" the engine -the reason its black.

As for the rattling the previous owner did have a turbo kit installed and the vehicle was a seized street racer; but with 20000 miles?; it should not start showing signs of wear and tear right? The rattling occurs when after my acceleration over 4000rmp, it sounds like its coming from under the car. As for the gas, I only use Vpower from shell.

thats for the look out.
Forced-induction is a risk. 1,000 or 50,000 miles. The bargain price is to offset the risk. Change the oil and enjoy the ride. I would not go “looking” for problems unless they are apparent.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
slimBUNIES

Originally Posted by davidv
Forced-induction is a risk. 1,000 or 50,000 miles. The bargain price is to offset the risk. Change the oil and enjoy the ride. I would not go “looking” for problems unless they are apparent.
yea ur right ill just chage the oil agian and not "look" for a problem. i might go for that oil analysis though