Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How do I get rid of my HID headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 10:44 PM
SPilgrim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I get rid of my HID headlights?

Okay, I know I'm going against the grain. I've got an '04 Enthusiast wired with the standard 8 pin HID headlights but one (or more) of the previous owners hacked the shat out of the headlight housing and wiring harness. The ballast is gone and the low beam was replaced with a blue LED that obviously wasn't designed for a projector headlight. I want to start over by replacing everything. I'm fine with halogen or LED, this thing has heavily tinted windows so it just needs to be clear and bright, but don't want to spend $1,000 on headlights.

There are a number of good options I found but they're pretty much all 6 pin. So unless anyone knows of a good, affordable 8 pin non-HID assembly I'm going to have to either find an adaptor or re-wire. I've searched this forum and youtube and found plenty of Halogen to HID information, but as far as I could tell nothing for 8 pin HID to 6 pin halogen/LED.

Appreciate any thoughts you all have on options.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:18 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 447 Likes on 363 Posts

Just cut 8-pin, get a tester and re-wire to 6 pin
Old 06-29-2021, 05:30 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,072 Likes on 758 Posts

Here is a thread going from the 8-pin HID to 6-pin halogen, but the color codes in post #6 of that thread pertain to an '03 so the colors may be different: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...eadlights.html

And here is a thread I made with color codes for an '05, but I also posted the pinout locations, so while the colors may be different, the pinouts will be the same. It's post #5 of this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...l#post10994098
Old 06-29-2021, 08:07 AM
SPilgrim

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Here is a thread going from the 8-pin HID to 6-pin halogen, but the color codes in post #6 of that thread pertain to an '03 so the colors may be different: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...eadlights.html

And here is a thread I made with color codes for an '05, but I also posted the pinout locations, so while the colors may be different, the pinouts will be the same. It's post #5 of this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...l#post10994098
I saw that post but got lost. He mentions an "HID conversion kit" so I thought he was installing 6 pin HID headlights? It's also an old post so it looks like a bunch of pictures are missing where he actually shows the wires connecting?

Not sure if that guy is still active on the board but I'll try PMing him. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:09 AM
SPilgrim

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Just cut 8-pin, get a tester and re-wire to 6 pin
Thanks. Was hoping to avoid that but appears it may be the only route. If the guy that posted below captured the right schematics for my situation I can at least avoid needing to test.

Last edited by SPilgrim; 06-29-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:29 AM
SPilgrim

For anyone interested, there's also a youtube video that covers this conversion that although done for a 6 pin HID headlight, the OP mentioned it would also work for 6 pin halogen or LED. Just search for "8 Pin to 6 Pin Headlight Conversion | 350z Spec D Lights".

I'm going to try to follow both guides (the one posted on here and the video) and see if they reconcile.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:09 AM
Heel Til I Die

Hmmmm, I was pretty sure that all HID headlights for the Z used an 8-pin connector. Well, at least OEM they do.

The "conversion kit" is basically just a wiring harness with a 6-pin on one side (that plugs into the harness from the Z) and an 8-pin on the other side (that you plug into the HID headlight).

It's pretty easy if you can read the pinouts from the other threads. Basically, the main difference between the 6-pin and the 8-pin (or the reason for 2 extra inputs for the 8-pin), is that the HID headlights have a side marker which requires a 12v+ signal and a corresponding ground. The 03-05 base halogen headlights do not have this. For the 6-pin to work on an 8-pin harness, you just need to tap the side marker wires into the respective parking light wires.

In your case since it sounds like you're going from an 8-pin harness from the Z to a 6-pin headlight harness, you would just leave the side marker wires alone and not connected but the other signals from the pinouts need to match up as shown in the other thread.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:38 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 447 Likes on 363 Posts

It's pretty simple. You could of found out which wire went to what in the time it took your to post this thread.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:38 AM
SPilgrim

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Hmmmm, I was pretty sure that all HID headlights for the Z used an 8-pin connector. Well, at least OEM they do.

The "conversion kit" is basically just a wiring harness with a 6-pin on one side (that plugs into the harness from the Z) and an 8-pin on the other side (that you plug into the HID headlight).

It's pretty easy if you can read the pinouts from the other threads. Basically, the main difference between the 6-pin and the 8-pin (or the reason for 2 extra inputs for the 8-pin), is that the HID headlights have a side marker which requires a 12v+ signal and a corresponding ground. The 03-05 base halogen headlights do not have this. For the 6-pin to work on an 8-pin harness, you just need to tap the side marker wires into the respective parking light wires.

In your case since it sounds like you're going from an 8-pin harness from the Z to a 6-pin headlight harness, you would just leave the side marker wires alone and not connected but the other signals from the pinouts need to match up as shown in the other thread.
You are correct, all HID stock connectors are 8 pin. That's why I thought maybe he was going from 8 pin to a 6 pin HID (there are many videos on installing aftermarket lights like Spec D that have 6 pin). I tried contacting the OP of that post and see what he says.

I did also find this post that covers the topic and has pics but it looks like he has an '06-'08: https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...-hid-350z.html

My goal was to get a 6 pin halogen (or even LED) full assembly and just connect via some mythical 8 pin/6 pin adapter. Anything out there would have to be specific to the 350z since other makes/models could have other light configurations right? I could try to match pin to pin but it looks like some of these solutions have multiple wires going to a single wire.

The challenge I have with re-wire is the previous owners lowered this car to the point the removed the wheel well liners and the engine splash guards, so there all kinds of water and crud being kicked around this thing. I intend on raising the car and putting the liners and guards back in but it's going to take time.

I do have to point out- you seem to have replied to many of the headlight questions out there over the years, just want to thank you for being patient with all these repetitive posts. I had no idea UNC supporters could be so compassionate, bless your heart!
Old 06-29-2021, 09:43 AM
SPilgrim

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
It's pretty simple. You could of found out which wire went to what in the time it took your to post this thread.
Awesome. Don't know that I've been accused of being stupid AND lazy in a single post before, but well done.
The following users liked this post:
iideadeyeii (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:13 PM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by SPilgrim
I do have to point out- you seem to have replied to many of the headlight questions out there over the years, just want to thank you for being patient with all these repetitive posts. I had no idea UNC supporters could be so compassionate, bless your heart!
Lol. No worries. I just realized that you're from the "other" Carolina. Or, the original Carolina depending on who you ask in what state...

In addition to bleeding Carolina blue, I am a self-professed lighting nerd/junkie. I've done a lot of retrofits over the years. It sounds like you have a lot of junk to clean up to find the wiring that was already hacked up. If you download the FSM and you can read a wiring schematic, you can find the right colored wires for your particular model.

Aftermarket companies make a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter since the conventional upgrade is going from halogen to HID, but since you're doing the reverse, I don't think you'll have any luck finding a specific adapter for your needs. Since your model Z came with a 6-pin that was converted to an 8-pin, you'll just need to find the two wires for the side marker and wire it back up to how it was and then you'll be good to go with the base model headlights

And I guess I do chime in on all these headlight threads. lol.