Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

the_coupe's NA build cp manley bc

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/381158-post3.html

https://my350z.com/forum/1552788-post1.html
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
the_coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although you do prove a valid point or 2....enough of the degrading comments. if you have something positive to share....then do so. if not, dont.

and as long as i dont sale my afe intake by the time i go back up there i can see what the diff is between that and the samco tube/revup airbox setup will be on the same dyno at cin. i do have a generic CAI with a aem dry filter that i DID have on the car but took off for the AFE.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:30 PM
KA24DE

Originally Posted by the_coupe
although you do prove a valid point or 2....enough of the degrading comments. if you have something positive to share....then do so. if not, dont.

and as long as i dont sale my afe intake by the time i go back up there i can see what the diff is between that and the samco tube/revup airbox setup will be on the same dyno at cin. i do have a generic CAI with a aem dry filter that i DID have on the car but took off for the AFE.
A generic long tube intake might work well enough, but see if you can source the Injen intake. The piping is actually stepped, the maf is piping is reduced in the name of accurate readings and the piping is tuned intake resonance, which is why the intakes actually make power
Old 07-03-2011, 05:08 PM
mgrotel

does that kit work on a g35?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Those are dyno test done on the non-revup airboxes. Do you have any quantitative proof that the aftermarket intakes available are definitively better then the factory Nissan revised airboxes?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
KA24DE

Originally Posted by mgrotel
does that kit work on a g35?
They have a kit for the G35, I don't remember the part number off hand.
Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Those are dyno test done on the non-revup airboxes. Do you have any quantitative proof that the aftermarket intakes available are definitively better then the factory Nissan revised airboxes?
I've never seen a substantial gain on the '06 air box vs stock, but feel free to correct me. The stock airbox appeal isn't about power. Mostly, when compared to other under the hood intakes, the factory box resist heat soak more, but otherwise I don't see an advantage. The Injen filter element doesn't reside in the engine bay, it has a built in velocity stack (like the '06 airbox), and it compensates for inaccurate maf reading that can normally happen with other intakes.

Last edited by KA24DE; 07-03-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 PM
the_coupe

well unless someone has an injen intake to send me. i cant get a run with it. i can get a run with my generic cai which was 3" from the tb to the afm, then 2.75 off the afm to the aem dryflow filter.
as far as stock intakes go....idk how much difference is between a stock z and g airbox. idk. someone send me an injen intake lol. if it gives me more power than the intakes i HAVE...ill find one. otherwise, ill use what i have.

ka, thanks for chillin out some. everyone is much more cool calm and collected when nobody is irritated
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM
mgrotel

were these done with stock cams? if so, then aftermarket cams would like more air even more, with the longer duration and higher lobe lift. although, the main thing i hate about aftermarket intakes is the heatsoak, if there is a solution to that, then i dont see a downside, other than some of the filters not filtering as well as paper.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 PM
the_coupe

on another note, idk when i first noticed this, but lately the motor has had that infamous "split second rattle" at first start up after sitting for many hours at a time. then goes away once oil pressure builds up. i have brand new tensioners installed too. been using advance auto's conventional 5w30 oil for the break-in period (i guess you could call it that ) with oem 9E nissan filters. sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt.......but it only does it like after its been sitting overnite or when i get ready to leave work after 10 hours. there was no wear/damage on the guides and like i said...all new 3 tensioners. my guess might be the conventional oil? or maybe cuz i had the heads resurfaced, which .004" was taken off...causing just a hair more slack in the t-chain....idk. im not too worried about it since that is the only time i hear it...but was wondering if others with built motors had this noise as well. cuz my stock motor never did it. AND i just changed the oil like 200 miles ago and the oil was clean of any debris/metal/etc. just curious....
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM
mgrotel

hmmm, forged pistons rattling until heated up?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KA24DE
You obviously don't understand my point at all, because SG's original test car wasn't a racecar, it was a Z roadster. Save for his long tube headers, there is nothing exotic or unusual about his progress on his roadster. 250whp with the "basic" bolts ons (Y pipe, intake, exhaust) and 29whp more with the addition of his long tube headers, I believe we can conclude that his results were not out of the ordinary.

Though the original point was that Sasha, a person who races 350Z's and has built the most powerful stock bottom end all motor Z on the forums, figured out that a particular style of intake worked better than stock.

"... I really feel like these engines can make 350whp N/A without any bottom end work, and I guess thats our goal."
Yeah, and he'll totally get there by sabotaging himself.
I was refering to lemmiwinkz's comment.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KA24DE
This is the most *** backwards approach, and I'm sad to see how prevelent it has become. You are correct to point him in the direction to change one componet at a time so it is known how the car is impacted. Just for the record, Injen steps down the MAF size on purpose. I doubt there is much gain to be had (a few hp) by upsizing, and there is ZERO gain in the stock airbox versus the long tube style intake.
Right. *** backwards approach? Useful. Have you seen sexyrob's intake shootout? Stock box with filter made best power.

Injen steps down to the stock size MAF diameter on purpose. I know, it's for proper metering with the stock ecu. Ok, and? Useful. Did you notice what SG made going with their upsized intake piping with upsized throttle body?

There is about 5 whp to be gained from the Z1 MAF, based on 1cockyz's results, and that is the crux of my suggestion. With a Samco intake hose and stock airbox (as the complete intake piping setup), there is more power to be gained, albeit a small gain, but if we're talking intake setups, it is one of the better options with stock TB. I suggested the stock box because, in addition to sexyrob's results, the larger MAF can't be integrated into the off-the-shelf CAIs.

Last edited by kacz07; 07-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I actually made more than 5whp switching to a 3" maf set-up. Diff day for testing, but same dyno and temp/baro, etc. Mated with a lathed to match jwt velocity stack/filter and Samco tube. I made a crappy little insulated shield as well. If it sits at idle with the hood closed IAT go up big time, but they drop almost immediately to ambient once in motion.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by the_coupe
on another note, idk when i first noticed this, but lately the motor has had that infamous "split second rattle" at first start up after sitting for many hours at a time. then goes away once oil pressure builds up. i have brand new tensioners installed too. been using advance auto's conventional 5w30 oil for the break-in period (i guess you could call it that ) with oem 9E nissan filters. sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt.......but it only does it like after its been sitting overnite or when i get ready to leave work after 10 hours. there was no wear/damage on the guides and like i said...all new 3 tensioners. my guess might be the conventional oil? or maybe cuz i had the heads resurfaced, which .004" was taken off...causing just a hair more slack in the t-chain....idk. im not too worried about it since that is the only time i hear it...but was wondering if others with built motors had this noise as well. cuz my stock motor never did it. AND i just changed the oil like 200 miles ago and the oil was clean of any debris/metal/etc. just curious....
I have the same thing. JDS thought it might be the starter, but it's interesting to see you have it, too. IPP told me it was timing chain tensioner and that it's common. RT thought it might be from slack due to cams. Also, I've had 5w30, 0w40, 5w40, and now 10w60 with no difference in sound.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I actually made more than 5whp switching to a 3" maf set-up. Diff day for testing, but same dyno and temp/baro, etc. Mated with a lathed to match jwt velocity stack/filter and Samco tube. I made a crappy little insulated shield as well. If it sits at idle with the hood closed IAT go up big time, but they drop almost immediately to ambient once in motion.
I still have this exact setup in my garage. Thinking it would be great with a 90mm GM LS2 TB.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

It wouldn't hurt to at least give it a test. I think the 90mm is overkill....I could absolutely be wrong, though. If it makes more power....run it.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrotel
hmmm, forged pistons rattling until heated up?
Depends, if the machine work is on the money it goes together fine with no piston slap, but if things get a little sloppy and too much clearence is left, you get the slap at cold temps.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
It wouldn't hurt to at least give it a test. I think the 90mm is overkill....I could absolutely be wrong, though. If it makes more power....run it.
Agree, but it's what SG used and the pins match up. Not sure what other options have been explored that have a PnP fit, but would rather not leave anything on the table.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

When do you plan to test this? I would be interested in the results. I can't touch the factory long block and be legal for the class I race in. Breather mods are unlimited, however. Plan is to open up the intake/exhaust a bit more and convert my car over to E85. Still won't make as much power as a bolt-on HR, but every horse helps.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:51 PM
the_coupe

Originally Posted by kacz07
I have the same thing. JDS thought it might be the starter, but it's interesting to see you have it, too. IPP told me it was timing chain tensioner and that it's common. RT thought it might be from slack due to cams. Also, I've had 5w30, 0w40, 5w40, and now 10w60 with no difference in sound.
yeah, well its just weird. stock motor didnt do it and i dont really ever hear it happen on other vq35s (atleast the infinitis with them). and i have all 3 brand new tensioners and the guides were in good shape. my guess is maybe having the heads resurfaced giving the primary chain a tad bit of slack to take up....which is more than normal so the tensioner has to compensate. idk...oh well.

Quick Reply: the_coupe's NA build cp manley bc