Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

New Clutch and DMF - code P0335

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Zester

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default (RESOLVED) New Clutch and DMF - code P0335

Hi,
On my VQ35HR, 2007 Nissan 350Z I have just replaced my clutch and dual-mass flywheel. I went with OEM Nissan parts. Everything went fine, the car started without a problem, it idles smoothly in runs smoothly. Un until you hit like 3.500 RPM, when rev counter starts jumping erratically and car sputters. Eventually it throws a P0335 code - "Crankshaft position sensor circuit A". It only happens when you driver over 3.000 RPM. And yes, I have aligned flywheel's smallest hole with crankshaft's dowel pin. I haven't dropped crankshaft position sensor. I just wiped it gently, to clean clutch dust. Connector clicked.

Would the car even start if this sensor would be bad?

Last edited by Zester; 08-28-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Zester

I took a snapshot of Crankshaft position sensor from the top. Is this actually OK? It doesn't seem to be sitting right? It looks like it doesn't sit in the hole.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Zester

Does anyone have an VQ35HR service manual? The only one I could get is for VQ35DE motor. Since DMF for DE motor is not the same as for HR, CKP sensor (POS - chrankshaft position sensor) could give different signal pattern on oscilloscope.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Zester

I guess nobody knows.
When I fix it I'll post here for future reference.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Pull your sensor and ensure you did not inadvertently damage it during the replacement.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 AM
Zester

It shouldn't be. But I suspect the problem is that I exposed the sensor to magnetic field. I did the mistake of pulling the bolt of the sensor out with magnet on a stick. You know, the one for bolts. And since these are HALL sensors they shouldn't be exposed to magnetic fields. Hopefully replacing the sensor will sort this issue.

Last edited by Zester; 07-18-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Damaging the crankshaft sensor is common when replacing the 350 Z's clutch. Google this to see lots of bad experiences requiring the crankshaft sensor as well.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Zester

I heard about them going bad, but mostly on DE not HR engines. Sensor is ordered but it'll take 2 weeks to arrive.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 PM
Zester

I got the new sensor and replaced it. The car started OK, SES light went away. Driving the car OK. BUT! When I hit 4.000 RPM the problem came back. Rpm needle jumping from 4-7k and the car sputtered and started jerking. Went on the lift again. Took off transmission service plate and started checking ring gear teeth - the ones for CKP sensor. I found 1 bent and 2 slightly bent teeth. I was shocked. DMF was handled carefully from my side so the damage had to exist before I got the new part.

I will present this problem to the dealership where they sold me the DMF. But I suspect I might be in a hole for new DMF. I doubt this can be repaired - heating up and bending teeth back. If the teeth are bent than the plate can also be warped. I would imagine someone dropped the DMF. Dealer will probably claim I damaged it while installing.

Last edited by Zester; 07-28-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Zester

Ok guys. This is going to be a long one. Here it goes.

I bought the car and clutch was slipping. Badly. I ordered OEM DMF flywheel and OEM clutch. I got it. Took transmission off, replaced the dmf, flywheel fasteners, replaced clutch, put everything together. As in my first post - going past 3.000 rpm car started jerking, rpm counter going crazy and SES and traction light came on. Code - P0335. Crankshaft position sensor. I thought I damaged the sensor taking the fastener out with a magnet. Ordered an new CKP (crankshaft position sensor). Waiting 10 days. Finally I got it and installed it. Took the car for a test ride. Same thing. Only this time in happened at 4.000rpm. Jerking, loosing power rpm counter going crazy bouncing. Went back put the car on a lift, scratching my head.
Took service plate off on the transmission. Used big wrench on Jesus bolt and started turning the engine, meanwhile inspecting flywheel teeth in especially ring gear teeth. These teeth give a signal to CKP in which position crankshaft is. There are 3 sets of 10 teeth for CKP sensor. 3 times 10 with long spacing in between. Turning the engine I soon discovered a few teeth that were slightly bent. 1 a bit more and 2 a tiny bit. I was shocked! Could this be the issue? Called many mechanincs asking for an advice. They all confirmed this COULD be the issue. Went to Nissan dealer requesting a new part. Box in which dmf arrived was all beat up, crushed and damaged. I suspected someone dropped the box bending the teeth. Nissan said this “complaint” will take 2 months to sort. Wtf?! After a week a wrote a letter to Nissan requesting they speed up the things and stated some law amendments on buying parts. They confirmed a replacement DMF. The cost of new DMF here is roughly 1.400 USD. Waiting another 10 days new DMF arrived. Separately I ordered a set of new driveshaft bolts, pressure cover bolts, flywheel bolts and exhaust gaskets. Waited for those another 10 days. My car was out of service for a month now.
I took tranny of AGAIN! Inspected the DMF and to my shock there weren’t only teeth that were bent. The whole signal ring plate was bent!!! I returned the faulty part and installed new dmf using new fastners and everything - per nissan service manual. Finally everything was set for a test ride. I was nervous as f**ck! Because if this would not work I am in for big bucks not even knowing where to start trouble shooting.

RESOLVED:
So the test ride. Due to new dmf and clutch I took it easy. Slowly going towards 3.000 rpm - good, 4.000 rpm - good, 5.000 rpm good. Than I let off the throttle. Been driving the car for a whole day now. It works!
the culprit were actually bent ring teeth.

Word of advice: handle with care the dmf or flywheel. Pay attention to the ring gear. Damage those teeth and you’ll have a lot of (expensive) work and parts on your hands.
Inspect the parts per manual, before you install them.
Follow Nissan manual when installing parts. Or use a dealer which knows his stuff.
I lost A LOT of nerves. Almost had a mental breakdown. I only bought the car, drove it only couple of thousand kilometers and went through this nerve wrecking experience. Finally it is over and I can enjoy the car which is otherwise in pristine condition.
Hope this info will help anyone that might fall into similar troubles.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zester:
MicVelo (08-28-2019), Spike100 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't notice that before installing. Why not go with a cheaper/similar weight alternative than the OEM?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Zester

I didn’t have experience with single mass. Secondly I didn’t want chatter. I have it anyways, but with SMF its even louder. I wanted to keep it oem since I knew what to expect from oem parts.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Thanks for following up the issue with the solution.

All too often people post their problems, others give suggestions, then the thread falls off the face of the Earth.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I want to thank you for posting your mistakes... we all make them and if we share the mistakes we make others may not make them as well. Like Mic said thanks for giving us your final resolution
Old 08-08-2021, 09:32 PM
esqueda_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I also gave P0335 but even if I clear it, it won’t go away. My revs are also wobbly all the time and eventually car will go into limp mode with P2135.
ive also replaced crankshaft position sensor with no luck.
Did yours went to limp mode or threw any other code?

thanks!