Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev wants suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:48 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kd07z
can uprev make a adjustment to the speedmeter for those who have changed their pumpkin or tire diameter?
I like this idea. My aftermarket wheels throw my speedo off by about 5% Not that big of a deal, but, would be nice if it was accurate. I always wondered if the odometer is off by this too..
Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Sagemark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UpRev
Ok so. Since our new website won't have a forum on it for a few weeks, I figured I'd start the discussion here.

I'm looking for insight from customers. What you wish a software tuning company would build for your car. Please keep it to one post, try and make a valid point, and update your post as you feel necessary. I do not want this to become an argument. I just want to know what you feel is missing out there.

We're getting ready to release Ver 2.0, and I'd like to know if we're on point or if we're going to start a revolution.

There are a number of you that are rather familiar with our product, and some of you that may not understand what we offer. I want to hear from everyone, the more feedback on whats missing out there, the better.

I may not even respond unless I seek clarity on your ideas, I don't want to end up leading anyone to what you might think I want to hear. I want your ideas (not mine).

I will say again, please keep it sane and leave the flamewars for elsewhere, no arguments, just some ideas. I'll have the thread locked or deleted if it gets out of hand.

I would like Cipher to include an electronic compression tester. It collects all the data so why not? I need to run a compression test to trouble shoot a rough running problem currently on my NA May '04 G35 Sedan. VQ35DE with Narrowband AFR Sensors. Having a tool like Cipher it is disappointing I can't use it to check cylinder compression.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 AM
neech

threads a little old, hopefully they are still listening..

Does cipher offer the ability to monitor knock activity? That would be one of the more important things to view, perhaps, even if its noisy.

Also, it would be nice if the website downloadable software came with a base map, or even a blank map with null values that one could load, so that we can get a feel for the software before we drop $900 on it, much like how the standalones are. Not sure if Cobb, HP, or any of the other flash tuners do this, but would be nice

I read the users manual and a few things are still unclear to me, and after I downloaded the software, i realized it was pointless without a map.

Last edited by neech; 09-17-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neech

Does cipher offer the ability to monitor knock activity? That would be one of the more important things to view, perhaps, even if its noisy.

Also, it would be nice if the website downloadable software came with a base map, or even a blank map with null values that one could load, so that we can get a feel for the software before we drop $900 on it, much like how the standalones are. Not sure if Cobb, HP, or any of the other flash tuners do this, but would be nice

I read the users manual and a few things are still unclear to me, and after I downloaded the software, i realized it was pointless without a map.
I agree and was brought up a long time ago here or one of UpRev's threads. ECU sees signal when to pull timing. That parameter imo wouldn't be hard for Cipher to pick up and log. Still crossing my fingers for that option.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
06CPV35

I also noticed on Cipher, there's two default Ethanol mix options you can choose but only if ECU supports, which ours do not. Would that be an Osiris tune only if we gave what Ethanol mix ratio using? Say for example running E-20? Thanx.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Sagemark
I would like Cipher to include an electronic compression tester. It collects all the data so why not? I need to run a compression test to trouble shoot a rough running problem currently on my NA May '04 G35 Sedan. VQ35DE with Narrowband AFR Sensors. Having a tool like Cipher it is disappointing I can't use it to check cylinder compression.
There is no compression sensor in the motor, so that info doesn't get to the ECU, and therefore cannot be logged. The moment any manufacturer adds a compression sensor to the motor will be a great day for all of humanity.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:56 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by neech

The stock ECU preemptively adjusts for knock based on known parameters. I've discussed it time and time again on here. If the stock ECU detects knock it has a low det timing map that it will switch to. We don't need to rely on pushing timing past it's safe point to make the same if not more power than any stand alone or piggy back we've replaced to date.

If you'd like you can ask around and see how many Utec/HKS/Haltech ECUs we've replaced with our software on the stock ECU and retained the same if not more power with far better drivability.

Waiting for knock to happen is not the correct way to tune a vehicle.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I have Cipher now and only ever use it to clear the occasional code when necessary because the interface works so poorly on my carPC. Without better carPC integration, I have no reason to upgrade.

Optimally, some kind of API so that cipher can be controlled and output displayed by a front end. This way the information it gathers and capabilities it has can truly be integrated into the car. This would make it possible for us Z owners to build a little bit of the coolness of the GTR into our own cars. For instance a popular frontend like RoadRunner is capable of passing commands to iGuidance and displaying its output for gps mapping. Throw on top of that the recent availability of cheap g meters and GPS and if integrated properly the possibility of racetrack data collection.

But I have asked for this before, so it seems like a pie in the sky request.

So barring that, I wish it worked better on small screens (target 700x500 or so) and was more user friendly if used in the same car over and over again. So at minimum, it would be nice if it displayed the the last used gauges at application start up without any other user input. Having those large buttons that take up the whole screen, another window to tell me it is connected, then to verify I want to see all the same stuff again and then resizing everything is a waste of time I gave up doing a long time ago.

We've actually had this in the pipeline for ages. Don't expect it to be perfect right out of the box when we release it, but we've already laid the ground work to make the interface for Cipher user tweakable. We've just been so busy updating and adding to our software that we haven't had the time.

Hopefully you'll see updates shortly as we wrap up some stuff that we've been working heavily on.

We added a second developer recently to help us catch up on the software issues and adding features.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:00 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

How about knock detection above 5000 rpm. I was speaking to the guys from Hydra in the UK, and they say that they do it by re-calibrating the sensor (or the ECU, can't remember) and they haven't had any problems so far.
Or perhaps shifting its range. Like instead of reading from 0-5000 have it read from 2000-7000 or something like that.

Last edited by ReV2Red; 10-09-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Any reply to my suggestion?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about an auto tune feature?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
How about an auto tune feature?
Auto tune is a cool feature on ECUs that don't have a base tune. The stock tune will usually start about any car out there, even if you need to do a basic injector rescaling.

None of the Auto tune features in after market ECUs do as well as a good solid professional tune.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
How about knock detection above 5000 rpm. I was speaking to the guys from Hydra in the UK, and they say that they do it by re-calibrating the sensor (or the ECU, can't remember) and they haven't had any problems so far.
Or perhaps shifting its range. Like instead of reading from 0-5000 have it read from 2000-7000 or something like that.
Odd I guess Hydra in the UK seems to have more knowledge than Nissan does. Good to know.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Does that mean it can't be done? Just wondering if you guys are looking into it?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Does that mean it can't be done? Just wondering if you guys are looking into it?
I've gone over it a million times, but basics:

Knock sensor is simply a microphone. Motors make noises, specific noises in all that cacophony are potentially knock. Aftermarket companies simply look for spikes in noise, not a particular noise. Aftermarket companies wait for X number of these "knock" signals to then react.

The OEM who has millions of dollars of investment into the R&D and warranty of these motors knows that the knock sensor is not reliable above 5000rpm. Nothing can change that, it is not a viable source for knock information. Aftermarket company professes to know more than the OEM, builds marketing on this knowledge, doesn't have to worry about fall out from blown up motors because they don't warranty your motor.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Hey is that Jared?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Hey is that Jared?
Nope, it's Rich. You can tell because all the words are spelled properly.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by UpRev
I've gone over it a million times, but basics:

Knock sensor is simply a microphone. Motors make noises, specific noises in all that cacophony are potentially knock. Aftermarket companies simply look for spikes in noise, not a particular noise. Aftermarket companies wait for X number of these "knock" signals to then react.

The OEM who has millions of dollars of investment into the R&D and warranty of these motors knows that the knock sensor is not reliable above 5000rpm. Nothing can change that, it is not a viable source for knock information. Aftermarket company professes to know more than the OEM, builds marketing on this knowledge, doesn't have to worry about fall out from blown up motors because they don't warranty your motor.
Ok, but surely "it's better safe than sorry" no?
So what your saying is that knock detectors above 5000 rpm are almost worthless?
How can i protect my self against knock above 5000 then. Obviously i understand that a good tune is imperative, but i live in an area that sees temps as high as 33C in the summer and as low as 0C in the winter, and i cant get the car tuned twice a year. Not to mention what if one day you get bad gas?
I'm just trying to make the safest decision on a mild FI setup, and appreciate all the help possible.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

a noob proof idea:

how about you specify the same parameters on bother Cipher and the PDF..

i've tried to datalog for my e-tunes, but i can't find some of the parameters u require cuz they have different terms/naming!

2nd idea would be:

i would like to remove the base map (i've got from you) while you're working on my e-tune. but i can't find any option to revert back to the original stat.

Last edited by maXmood; 11-06-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
whitez33350ztt

im a young kid with an 03 350z full bolt ons with stage 2 cams and should make a way to break 300whp with stock bottom end with ur tune. i have ur tune now and i have to say its AMAZING compared to the aam generic mail in tune

Quick Reply: Uprev wants suggestions.