Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Guys, check your Osiris Tuner! We have Torque Management now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for chiming in!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 AM
CustomGsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Jared

Im gonna have to pay a visit to Shawn Church pretty soon
Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks Jared. Excellent progress - thanks for the continuing effort. This is a great boon for 5AT folks with FI.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 AM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by PunKidd
OK, so...

ETC table A, yeah, we still don't really know how that one works. It's a real balancing act when you try to come up with a table that will give you 100% opening from a dead stop. Our tuned tables just took a lot of trial and error.

ETC on/off setting. This guy basically makes the throttle act like there is a cable. The ECU just taked the accelerator input and makes that the throttle position target. It's not totally stabile, it does disable curse control, and it doesn't get rid of the break power pull (although with it turned off if you press the break twice, the power pull does go away. No idea why and we havent' done much testing with it).

Torque management is another one of those undocumented features. The ONLY thing this table is used for is that it changes how much torque the ECU tells the AT controller to expect. Higher values will cause higher line pressures and in turn harder shifts. We are a still doing a lot of testing with this. It's particularly useful on forced induction applications where the delivered torque really is a lot higher than stock. We can't really say if this is going to make valve body modifications obsolete, but it looks like it will.

As far as launch control, we never got that one figured out, but it's still something we want to do. There are a few people doing what I would call a quasi launch control using map switching, but it's not a stabile as typical launch control. Mainly because it cuts fuel and spark instead of just spark.

And if you think these undocumented features are bad, you need to try playing with the latest ROM editor which finally supports real time tuning, logging, and map tracing all at the same time. Yeah, NONE of that is in the user guide yet even though it's been released, but I will be rewriting the whole thing when I get back from SEMA / LA trip next week.

Jared@UpRev.com
Is there any way to control how much ignition timing gets reduced at an upshift in the 5AT? Control over that would surely make the 5AT capable ov holding massive power.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM
PunKidd

We haven't dug into the code for power cuts during shifts yet.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
CustomGsedan

Originally Posted by PunKidd
We haven't dug into the code for power cuts during shifts yet.
nice phrasing
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Seems you guys are getting really close to the TCM code. Any thoughts about actually revising the line pressures though a reflash vs having to phyically change it via a VB modification?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Seems you guys are getting really close to the TCM code. Any thoughts about actually revising the line pressures though a reflash vs having to phyically change it via a VB modification?
Isn't that what Jared just explained you can basically do with the new TQ management chart?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Yeah, I reread it. That would be great for the auto guys if they could actually get at the line pressurew w/o actually digging into the TCM codes.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM
rcdash

You can. Just increase the torque input.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
CustomGsedan

Went to Churches today (thanks Shawn)... already had the ETC (which absolutely helped the sub 3K power) but flashed ETC on/off (off) to see if it helped brake torque... did a quick 2.5K rev launch in Shawn's little parking lot (twice) and I'll be damned, it seems to address to fuel/power cut that I always experienced at the track (going to drag strip next weekend so I'll be more dialed into the car and better able to determine what its doing - will also data log and ask John to compare to old data). BTW, I didn't brake twice either (the way I understood Jared's explanation is it doesnt help power cut unless you brake twice, didnt seem to need to for me) - I'll have a better idea after the drag strip.

Also added the Torque Management and during some spirited runs around the neighborhood noticed nothing In fact, shifts seemed more granny than ever Shawn was sitting shotgun and absolutely felt the same way. BUT! On my drive home (about 20 miles) by the time I got on the freeway (maybe 5 miles from shop) all of the sudden I noticed 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were way snappier!!! So the entire drive home I paid close attention and it seems that every gear shifts crisper, but 1-2 and 2-3 the most notable. 3-4 not so much and 4-5 is kinda weird, not super snappy, but definitely different, almost like a down shift initially (nothing like it was before)...

So apparently (at least with my car) the ECU needs to adapt/learn - (but it only took five miles or so). The thing I am concerned about is now my downshifts are sluggish/granny and dropping from 5 to 4 for passing is really slow (sux bad!)... in an avoidance maneuver or simply trying to quickly pass I'm not comfortable with it because it takes too long. Definitely have to anticipate in advance a down shift (doing it on the fly isnt gonna work) - I hate to speculate time-frame, but its 1 or 2 seconds where previously downshifting 5-4 was instant. I didnt have much opportunity to downshift 4-3 or 3-2 (freeway traffic prevented enough room to evaluate) but what little I was able to do didn't seem slow, just soft.

I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow and eventually go back to Shawn to see if there is any tweaking that can address the downshifts... but the up-shifts are good - so for drag strip TM is a good addition... for road course I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by CustomGsedan; 11-11-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by CustomGsedan
Went to Churches today (thanks Shawn)... already had the ETC (which absolutely helped the sub 3K power) but flashed ETC on/off (off) to see if it helped brake torque... did a quick 2.5K rev launch in Shawn's little parking lot (twice) and I'll be damned, it seems to address to fuel/power cut that I always experienced at the track (going to drag strip next weekend so I'll be more dialed into the car and better able to determine what its doing - will also data log and ask John to compare to old data). BTW, I didn't brake twice either (the way I understood Jared's explanation is it doesnt help power cut unless you brake twice, didnt seem to need to for me) - I'll have a better idea after the drag strip.

Also added the Torque Management and during some spirited runs around the neighborhood noticed nothing In fact, shifts seemed more granny than ever Shawn was sitting shotgun and absolutely felt the same way. BUT! On my drive home (about 20 miles) by the time I got on the freeway (maybe 5 miles from shop) all of the sudden I noticed 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were way snappier!!! So the entire drive home I paid close attention and it seems that every gear shifts crisper, but 1-2 and 2-3 the most notable. 3-4 not so much and 4-5 is kinda weird, not super snappy, but definitely different, almost like a down shift initially (nothing like it was before)...

So apparently (at least with my car) the ECU needs to adapt/learn - (but it only took five miles or so). The thing I am concerned about is now my downshifts are sluggish/granny and dropping from 5 to 4 for passing is really slow (sux bad!)... in an avoidance maneuver or simply trying to quickly pass I'm not comfortable with it because it takes too long. Definitely have to anticipate in advance a down shift (doing it on the fly isnt gonna work) - I hate to speculate time-frame, but its 1 or 2 seconds where previously downshifting 5-4 was instant. I didnt have much opportunity to downshift 4-3 or 3-2 (freeway traffic prevented enough room to evaluate) but what little I was able to do didn't seem slow, just soft.

I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow and eventually go back to Shawn to see if there is any tweaking that can address the downshifts... but the up-shifts are good - so for drag strip TM is a good addition... for road course I'm not sure yet.
I would turn ETC back on. It affects all kinds of things including shifting and traction control in general... not just launching. One thing at a time man... just wire up a switch to pin 106 on your ECU to address the brake override and focus on the tq management feature without crippling it by turning off ETC.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djamps
I would turn ETC back on. It affects all kinds of things including shifting and traction control in general... not just launching. One thing at a time man... just wire up a switch to pin 106 on your ECU to address the brake override and focus on the tq management feature without crippling it by turning off ETC.
Can you help me make a switch for that one day when you have time?

The car is at Frank's now getting some things installed. I'm tired of always pulling fuses before I race.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Can you help me make a switch for that one day when you have time?

The car is at Frank's now getting some things installed. I'm tired of always pulling fuses before I race.
Sure, it's really easy. Hardest part is running the wires -- I have my switch in the a-pillar gauge cluster for easy access.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM
butkiss1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ihad this installed on friday . gonna uninstall tomorrow, 2sec delay on 4-3 downshifts, great feature for the 1/4 mile .But for the daily driver ........useless . But it works well for launching, spanked a few homies.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 AM
rcdash

CustomGsedan, can you relate in what way you changed the torque management tables and by how much? Did you do a global change or pick cells to change?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 AM
CustomGsedan

Originally Posted by rcdash
CustomGsedan, can you relate in what way you changed the torque management tables and by how much? Did you do a global change or pick cells to change?
Shawn Church did it shotgun while road-testing... not sure what values were set.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 AM
kartkid

???? Any updates????
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM
CLyons0203

updates?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
djamps

I wish I had a 5AT to use this on

Quick Reply: Guys, check your Osiris Tuner! We have Torque Management now!