Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Guys, check your Osiris Tuner! We have Torque Management now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
1.8 60's with 295 R888s, hookin pretty good IMHO

I have a VB that was modified by SGP back some time ago, they were the first to offer it. I have my suspisions that its not as good as the Transgo stuff. I do have a ProTorque converter installed. Im at a loss about this. Your 3-4 is perfect, I may just have to save up for a baller GTM trans I have a spare stock VB, so for the price I think the Transgo stuff is worth a shot. Im due for a fluid change soon anyhow, so thats half the expense right their. I hope its not my clutch packs...
Those are good times - I was hoping it was just your tires slipping and not something in your drivetrain.

Why are you at a 113 mph trap with a Greddy kit and a built motor? How much boost? You just taking it easy on the 5AT?

Has it always been like this? It looks like the torque converter is not locking up to me. That might explain your trap if you're supposed to be putting down something in the 500 whp range. Does it hold on the dyno?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
Those are good times - I was hoping it was just your tires slipping and not something in your drivetrain.

Why are you at a 113 mph trap with a Greddy kit and a built motor? How much boost? You just taking it easy on the 5AT?

Has it always been like this? It looks like the torque converter is not locking up to me. That might explain your trap if you're supposed to be putting down something in the 500 whp range. Does it hold on the dyno?
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! The 113 trap was due to hitting the rev limiter in 2nd, she has trapped 118. Boost is 14psi on pump 93. I am slowly preparing to turn it up to 16 or 18.... She has never been on a dyno. I tune her on the street myself. If I do a tuning pull in 4th on the highway it holds just fine, its just slips duting the shift. The 3/4 has allways done that, I dont do a 3/4 WOT shift very often, most street fun is over in the top of 3rd. I do have a spare stock converter too, maybe if the the transgo does not do the trick the i can try that. Good thing I love to work on my car

Does Uprev have the ability to control converter lock up like some of the domestic tuners do?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM
rcdash

No UpRev has nothing for TC lock up. Even if it's not locked up the fluid coupling should be so tight that you still gain speed even while rpms stay constant (as the driveshaft spins up to match the speed of the engine). Maybe something is broken in there? Andre at Edge Racing has provided me a couple good converters. Just send him your core and some specs on your car and what kind of stall you are looking for (looser makes for a better launch but is more inefficient at speed). I chose 3k rpms because he would not go any lower. My first GTM t/c was a little mushy around town - stalled about 300-400 rpms higher.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually you do have TC control in Uprev. You ABSOLUTELY have to make sure you're load scaler puts you at 100% any time you're under load -- this is what the TC looks for. By default if you don't change anything, you'll end up at 70% at full boost and the TC never locks up, tranny kaboom.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
rcdash

Based on an explanation from Jared, my understanding is that "calculated load" is just based on MAF output and my stock MAF max's out early. My calculated load is 100% even on part throttle. It's the reason us 5AT guys cannot get rid of the MAF. Well actually Haltech can generate a fake MAF signal now...

Last edited by rcdash; 02-27-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM
MardiGrasMax

Based on an explanation from Jared, my understanding is that "calculated load" is just based on MAF output and my stock MAF max's out early. My calculated load is 100% even on part throttle. It's the reason us 5AT guys cannot get rid of the MAF. Well actually Haltech can generate a fake MAF signal now...
Interesting... I use the UTEC in Speed Density mode, but the UTEC still modifies the MAF voltage going to the ECU all the time. My MAF logs show the modified MAF signal from the UTEC to the ECU peaks and holds at ~4.1v, Actual is of course 5v to the UTEC, but the ECU never sees it.

Could this 4.1v MAF signal be causing the torque converter to not lock up fully like it would at a higher load level with a higher MAF voltage? But wouldnt it show up in all my shifts, not just the 3-4?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Calculated load is based of of base fuel schedule and RPM. There is a table in Rom editor that u can modify to get a more accurate calculated load. Although I have messed with it dozens of times It hasnt made too much of a difference. I have cars come in that are at 100 calc load at half throttle and some that never hit 100 percent calc load and it doesn't seem to adversely affect it either way.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
Calculated load is based of of base fuel schedule and RPM. There is a table in Rom editor that u can modify to get a more accurate calculated load. Although I have messed with it dozens of times It hasnt made too much of a difference. I have cars come in that are at 100 calc load at half throttle and some that never hit 100 percent calc load and it doesn't seem to adversely affect it either way.
It's important to take into consideration on a 5AT. 'Close enough' might be well enough in most cases... but if it's too far off, the TC will eventually be destroyed, 5AT overheat, ect ect..this is coming both from the manual, Jared himself and my local tuner.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ I understand that....Let me rephrase..I was actually speaking towards rcdash when he said it was at 100% calc load at half throttle, I have had several vehicles come in like that and it doesnt seem to adversly affect them. On all the Automatic cars I always trim in the calculated load so at full throttle its at 100% the whole time...which usually takes making the base full schedule values lower at higher rpms as torque drops off.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 AM
rcdash

^ and the base fuel schedule is based off MAF output, correct? It's the reason I couldn't originally get rid of my MAF for my 5AT. A few psi above atm and no issues with overloading that stock MAF. Maybe Jared fixed my tables when I got my original reflash. I sent him my Haltech maps and dyno so he knew what I was up to.

MardiGrasMax, I would log the calculated load in Cipher and make sure it reads 100%!!! Very important for crisp shifts. This affects one of the main clutches in the transmission itself, not the TC (as I understand it).

Last edited by rcdash; 02-28-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 AM
CLyons0203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3-4th shift fix:

http://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-dy...-w-osiris.html
Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 AM
djamps

@vince... got it, thanks... I wasn't clear on what you said.

@rcdash... yes, the MAF is a big part in the fuel sched. calc.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 AM
MardiGrasMax

Would you guys think that a MAF voltage of only 4.1v but with 100% TPS and near redline RPM be enough to call for TC lock up in my situation?

Whats the highest MAF voltage the NA cars normally see?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

typically tune good flowing N/A set ups hit around 4.5-4.7 Volts at redline...
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
typically tune good flowing N/A set ups hit around 4.5-4.7 Volts at redline...
Is this power dependent? What other factors would cause higher voltage on an NA setup?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ In theory... Making more power would cause more air to be drawn through which would cause a higher voltage. The more air the motor draws the higher the voltage... higher voltage isn't really a bad thing until you run out of it...
Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
MardiGrasMax

So I datalogged using an OBDII code tool I have a and my ECU load (LOAD_PCT) peaks at 83.1%. Would this cause the 3-4 shift issue?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
CustomGsedan

Originally Posted by CLyons0203

no info specific to the fix (as of now anyway)... just that Derek's 3-4 is now better - but nothing about how it was fixed...

Last edited by CustomGsedan; 02-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
jmicaelk

Are there any updates about this or ??
I will be driving a 5AT after I move, so this would be great and let me boost
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
So I datalogged using an OBDII code tool I have a and my ECU load (LOAD_PCT) peaks at 83.1%. Would this cause the 3-4 shift issue?
That's a serious problem. It should be at 100% anywhere past half throttle IMO. At 83% the TC won't lock up, you'll have slow shifts, and an otherwise fried tranny.

Quick Reply: Guys, check your Osiris Tuner! We have Torque Management now!