Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Dash Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Reggae420
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Dash Monitors

Hey Guys, First of all I wanna say how much I really love this forum, alot of forums are just people being *******s and bitching about people not knowing anything, but this forum is actually a really nice place to ask questions and everyone is chill here, now my question is I want to put an in Dash Monitor and I wanna put it in place of that little useless storage compartment right in the middle of the dash above the radio, you guys know what Im talking about, my first question is, is this possible? And my second question is does anybody have any advice on which particular one to get? Thanks alot everyone
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
My Revenge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reggae420
Hey Guys, First of all I wanna say how much I really love this forum, alot of forums are just people being *******s and bitching about people not knowing anything, but this forum is actually a really nice place to ask questions and everyone is chill here, now my question is I want to put an in Dash Monitor and I wanna put it in place of that little useless storage compartment right in the middle of the dash above the radio, you guys know what Im talking about, my first question is, is this possible? And my second question is does anybody have any advice on which particular one to get? Thanks alot everyone
first off, what forum have you been reading where people are nice and friendly? secondly yes it is possible. anything is possible with the right amount of cash. no recommendations though
Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Reggae420
Banned

About how much would installation cost?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:19 PM
JEKL

There are many different routes you can take and therefore costs vary a great amount. I would start off by doing a search for 'cubby or dual monitors'. This will show you some of the options out there.

Just to get you started, you can replace the head unit with an aftermarket one that allows for video out and send that signal to an external cubby monitor.

Another approach is to go with the Kenwood Portal system that uses the existing head unit and places an external monitor in the cubby. Look through an old thread of mine for info and cost on that option.

Regardless of what you find here, your best bet is to go to your local audio video shop and get some advice and quotes. They will be Moe accurate than anything the forum will be able to tell you.

And +1 on where you are finding all the nice people on my350.com!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

are you jamaican?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Check the following threads.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...tallation.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...pics-here.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...uchscreen.html

Reading these threads gives you a general idea of how you can install your monitor, as well as the best choices for various configurations.

You won't get much specific information for a solution for your Year's Z. But, that's small stuff since a custom installation shop can handle this, and it's not expensive for the upper/forward Z cubby slot.

Hope this helps,

--Spike
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Reggae420
Banned

Thanks alot man that helped me out so much, I just read all three threads and I had like alll my questions answered, thanks bro
Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Welcome… and glad to hear the information and threads are useful. Thanks for the feedback. I participate here and try hard to provide useful information and accurate advice. It’s gratifying when someone acknowledges the effort.

Mounting a 7” screen in the upper/forward cubby is a frequent question. The difference is the year-model of the Z.

It is “drop-dead simple” with the 2003 model (that had a detachable cubby pocket the can be swapped with a 7” LCD monitor without any custom fabrication). Z models past 2003 require very minor custom fabrication to accomplish this task. These models require cutting the back of the upper/forward cubby, fabricating a simple retention “strap-retention-holder” for the screen, and maybe a custom bezel to finish the front). A good shop can do this in less than 2 hours (plus some more time to wire it up). If the shop has done this previously, it’s a 1.5 hour job for everything (fabrication and wiring).

The best part is you can select a good setup (GPS, DVD, etc.) that is much better than the OEM equipment, and you spend a lot less for superior aftermarket equipment.

--Spike
Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Reggae420
Banned

Okay man well im gonna look into some nice monitors and then Ill take it to a shop to get a quote for installation, I really really appreciate the help, those threads are really incredibly complete and detailed, if everyone on this site put as much effort into helping people as you did that would be awesome. If you have any suggestions of what kind of monitor to get please let me know, I dont need GPS, just Ipod and DVD.
Thanks again