Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

nav install to media receiver?/

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
bbak11010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nav install to media receiver?/

hey all,
I am planning to install an aftermarket hu. I first was looking at some dvd and navigation headunits but the thing is i never watch dvds. All I need for an aftermarket hu is to hook it up to a usb thumb drive and listen to mp3 music. Also, I would prefer having a navigation system as well.

So I was wondering if i buy one of the alpine's media receiver headunits, which has a screen, can I somehow hook up a navigation system to work on the screen? Has anyone done this setup?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Thanks,
Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the Alpine iVA-W203 with the optional NVE-P1 navigation module?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 AM
bbak11010

I don't know the specific model number but the one you are talking sounds right.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 AM
bbak11010

Also, I've seen some poeple having two screens, one inside the cubby. CAn I use two screens to have nav on all the time, so I don't have to go back and forth from audio to nav?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2010, 02:24 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by bbak11010
Also, I've seen some poeple having two screens, one inside the cubby. CAn I use two screens to have nav on all the time, so I don't have to go back and forth from audio to nav?
Thanks in advance
Yes, but you have to have the right pieces to do that. Not all head units will send the signal to an external screen.

Depending on what year Z you have, it might be easy to just place a 7" monitor in the cubby. For the 03-05 models you can take the cubby out and mount the screen in its place.

The 06+ models that came without navigation require either an entire new bezel from a navigation model or some custom fabrication. It is extremely hard to keep the cubby and put a full size monitor in there.

If you have no need for for the ability to play DVDs, you might want to consider going with a single DIN in the stock radio location. No need in spending more money on a double DIN if you don't need it.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

hey all,
I am planning to install an aftermarket hu. I first was looking at some dvd and navigation headunits but the thing is i never watch dvds. All I need for an aftermarket hu is to hook it up to a usb thumb drive and listen to mp3 music. Also, I would prefer having a navigation system as well.

So I was wondering if i buy one of the alpine's media receiver headunits, which has a screen, can I somehow hook up a navigation system to work on the screen? Has anyone done this setup?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Thanks,
Thanks in advance
Alpine offers just about any solution you ask about. Here are some different configurations (you asked about one screen, two screens, and navigation):
  1. If you want one screen, you can place the Alpine TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor in the upper/forward cubby to display your navigation, rearview camera, and AUX connections; and you install an Alpine single-din H/U for your sound.
  2. If you want two screens, you can place the Alpine TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor in the upper/forward cubby, and use one of the compatible Alpine double-din H/U’s as the second LCD screen to display whatever and play your music.

Here are the two components you need to have navigation in your upper/forward cubby:

NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/nve-m300

Alpine TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/tme-s370

If you want a second LCD screen, use one of the compatible Alpine double-din H/U’s.

If you don’t want a second LCD screen, use either the Alpine TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor (in the upper/forward cubby) along with one of the compatible Alpine single-din H/U’s, or use one of Alpines double-din devices with an LCD screen.

Notice that the Alpine NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive can display its image on the Alpine TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor (on which you can operate the navigation device using the touch-screen functions on the TME-M770). Or, you can simple connect the NVE-M300 GPS Navigation Drive to one of Alpine’s compatible double-din LCD touch-screen H/U’s. The links I posted provide a list of compatible devices.

Important Note: Installing the TME-M770 6.5” LCD Monitor in the upper/forward cubby may require a minor amount of custom fabrication depending upon the model year of your Z.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
JEKL

Once again, Spike proves to be the man!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by JEKL
Once again, Spike proves to be the man!
Thanks for kind words.

Something I didn’t do in this post (and it’s obvious and “screaming” by its omission) is a comparison of Kenwood’s KOS system with Alpine’s new line of products.
  • Obviously Kenwood and Alpine are going head-to-head with these modular-style A/V lines.
  • Both offer a remote LCD screen that has touch-screen function to operate navigation and other CES functions. The remote screen is a great solution for the Z with its upper/forward cubby that is very receptive for mounting this type of solution.
  • Both offer a “black box” navigation device that connects seamlessly to either the remote LCD screen (that fits the Z’s upper/forward cubby), or several double-din H/U’s with touch-screen monitors (that fit the Z’s DD slot).
  • Either solution is compatible with the Z’s OEM H/U. So if you want to keep the OEM look or have a leased car that you need to revert to “stock” at turn-in, you can do it with either Kenwood’s or Alpine’s modular/component solutions; but still have the advantages the respective companies offer while you are in possession of the car.
  • The monitors are VGA, so you get a razor sharp image as you have on your computer’s screen instead of the NTSC/PAL TV-like image on less costly monitors.
I’m interested in comments from anyone who can compare these solutions from Kenwood and Alpine. These two systems are very close, but there must be some differences and dis/advantages. I have more experience with Kenwood, but Alpine’s new offering are certainly very good and interesting.

--Spike
Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
bbak11010

Default thanks, some more questions

Thanks Spile for your information. It really helps me alot to understand my options.
I never experienced Kenwood, but I do hear alot of good things about them.
As of now, I am not really set on one item so if someone like you who are knowledgable in this audio area recommends me something, then I will probably go that way. haha

I have a 04 touring. Should've mentioned that in the beginning.

Can you give me some specific item numbers from Kenwood so I can look them up and compare/purchase them? I really become frustrated trying to compare tons of products when Im searching around.

Also, since this is my first time installing a hu for a z, what are some other accessories that I need to purchase at the same time?
I am thinking a harness, and a bezel, but is there anything else I should get?
Also, can someone help me where I can get the harness, and an item number for it?

Thanks everyone for your help.

oh, Im actually looking for a hu with usb input.. i don't use iphone or iPod.

Originally Posted by Spike100
Thanks for kind words.

Something I didn’t do in this post (and it’s obvious and “screaming” by its omission) is a comparison of Kenwood’s KOS system with Alpine’s new line of products.
  • Obviously Kenwood and Alpine are going head-to-head with these modular-style A/V lines.
  • Both offer a remote LCD screen that has touch-screen function to operate navigation and other CES functions. The remote screen is a great solution for the Z with its upper/forward cubby that is very receptive for mounting this type of solution.
  • Both offer a “black box” navigation device that connects seamlessly to either the remote LCD screen (that fits the Z’s upper/forward cubby), or several double-din H/U’s with touch-screen monitors (that fit the Z’s DD slot).
  • Either solution is compatible with the Z’s OEM H/U. So if you want to keep the OEM look or have a leased car that you need to revert to “stock” at turn-in, you can do it with either Kenwood’s or Alpine’s modular/component solutions; but still have the advantages the respective companies offer while you are in possession of the car.
  • The monitors are VGA, so you get a razor sharp image as you have on your computer’s screen instead of the NTSC/PAL TV-like image on less costly monitors.
I’m interested in comments from anyone who can compare these solutions from Kenwood and Alpine. These two systems are very close, but there must be some differences and dis/advantages. I have more experience with Kenwood, but Alpine’s new offering are certainly very good and interesting.

--Spike

Last edited by bbak11010; 01-26-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
JEKL

Here is a write up on my Kenwood CarPortal. The Kenwood KOS unit allows USB input.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...r-install.html
Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Spike100

[ … ] I have a 04 touring. Should've mentioned that in the beginning.

Can you give me some specific item numbers from Kenwood so I can look them up and compare/purchase them? I really become frustrated trying to compare tons of products when Im searching around. [ … ]
Read JEKL's great thread that he references in Message #10. This is a the best description I've seen of Kenwood's CarPortal components. The pictures and diagrams in JEKL’s thread are very helpful for anyone who wants information about Kenwood’s KOS system.

You should also read Paul350Z’s thread that demonstrates mounting an LCD screen in the Z’s upper/forward cubby.
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...tallation.html.
This thread describes mounting an LCD screen in a 2004 Z, but the principle applies to any model year Z.

[ … ] Also, since this is my first time installing a hu for a z, what are some other accessories that I need to purchase at the same time?
I am thinking a harness, and a bezel, but is there anything else I should get?
Also, can someone help me where I can get the harness, and an item number for it?

Thanks everyone for your help.

oh, Im actually looking for a hu with usb input.. i don't use iphone or iPod.
Installing an aftermarket H/U requires a harness and a mounting kit. The harness is specific to your new H/U, and the mounting kit is specific to the model year of your Z, and may also vary depending upon the brand of H/U and whether it is single-din or double-din.

Crutchfield (crutchfield.com) is a good source for harnesses and mounting kits (and all of your A/V needs for that matter). Some members say Crutchfield is expensive, but the support you get here is terrific. Crutchfield supplies the right parts, the first time; and the support staff helps you get this stuff installed correctly.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
bbak11010

thanks guys, it was definitely helpful. I will start building my system and hopefully get some pics up soon.
Thanks again,
Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
bbak11010

I was actually looking at alpine media receivers, single din. I can make this simple and go with just one screen in the cubby. but to these head unit have video out?
What are some single din headunits that i might be able to hook it up to a lcd monitor, has usb input, and adapts nav? is there anything like this? or to get everything i want, is going with a double din my only option?
So many questions, sorry guys.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike100

I was actually looking at alpine media receivers, single din. I can make this simple and go with just one screen in the cubby. but to these head unit have video out?
What are some single din headunits that i might be able to hook it up to a lcd monitor, has usb input, and adapts nav? is there anything like this? or to get everything i want, is going with a double din my only option?
So many questions, sorry guys.
Single-din receivers are the best. You get a lot more value with a single-din receiver. It's interesting, but not surprising, that the better single-din receivers are going sans CD players in more recent and better models.

There are two trends in intermediate/high-end car CES:
  • All-In-One Devices
  • Modular Digital Systems

All-In-One Devices
These are double-din devices that contain or support everything. They typically have a 6.5” – 7” LCD touch screen for display and operation, a DVD player (or a connection for a remote DVD changer), iPod connection/support, a USB port, built-in navigation (or a port to connect a Navigation Black Box), built-in amplifier, pre-outs for external amps, rearview camera, etc.

Advantages:
  • These units are easily installed by simply fitting the device inside the Z’s double-din slot.
  • Install it… wire it… Done!
  • There are many choices from many manufacturers for all-in-one devices.

Disadvantages:
  • The double-din slot in the Z is low for safe viewing and touch-screen operation. The Z’s upper/forward cubby is the best position for a touch screen you use to operate your CES and view navigation; however, and all-in-one device won’t fit here.
  • You are pretty much stuck with whatever is inside the all-in-one (i.e., no easy way to upgrade individual components).
  • If one “part breaks,” it’s all broken. For example, if your all-in-one device experiences a navigation failure, you may be faced with replacing the entire unit.

Modular Digital Systems
This is a collection of separate components you install and connect to a remote monitor you fit into the Z’s upper/forward cubby. The remote LCD touch screen monitor is “command central” for the entire CES and all the components you have in your CES. The components are an H/U, along with any optional devices you want (DVD player, navigation, rearview camera, external amps, etc.). The system can use either a single-din or double-din H/U.

Advantages:
  • A Modular Digital System puts the touch screen LCD monitor inside the Z’s upper/forward cubby where viewing and operation is easier and safer.
  • You can mix and match various components (navigation, remote DVD player, etc.) to get the best solution for your needs
  • You can upgrade individual components (or replace a “broken” device) without sacrificing the entire system.
Disadvantages:
  • It costs more to build a CES using separate components. You pay more for the components, and the installations cost is higher. Manufacturers of modular digital systems often use proprietary connections, forcing you to use their products.
  • You have more research insuring that the separate components will work together. You can mitigate this problem somewhat by staying with a single manufacturer, but that limits your choices when selecting your individual components.
  • The best modular digital solutions come from only two manufacturers, Alpine and Kenwood. So you are somewhat limited.

I realize you request specific information and model numbers, but it’s more complicated than that. I could go on and on ...and on ...listing different solutions with various components. You need to do some research here to get exactly what you want.

Hope this helps and does not just add more confusion,

--Spike
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
bbak11010

Default Thank you!

Thanks alot Spike!
I gotta say this that everytime i read your information and explanations they are awesome. It really helps alot for someone like me who is starting to get into all these audio/video stuff.
Like you said, I will do some more homework and studying. I think I will reroute my way and go with your second option with a single din.
Thanks!

John

Originally Posted by Spike100
Single-din receivers are the best. You get a lot more value with a single-din receiver. It's interesting, but not surprising, that the better single-din receivers are going sans CD players in more recent and better models.

There are two trends in intermediate/high-end car CES:
  • All-In-One Devices
  • Modular Digital Systems

All-In-One Devices
These are double-din devices that contain or support everything. They typically have a 6.5” – 7” LCD touch screen for display and operation, a DVD player (or a connection for a remote DVD changer), iPod connection/support, a USB port, built-in navigation (or a port to connect a Navigation Black Box), built-in amplifier, pre-outs for external amps, rearview camera, etc.

Advantages:
  • These units are easily installed by simply fitting the device inside the Z’s double-din slot.
  • Install it… wire it… Done!
  • There are many choices from many manufacturers for all-in-one devices.

Disadvantages:
  • The double-din slot in the Z is low for safe viewing and touch-screen operation. The Z’s upper/forward cubby is the best position for a touch screen you use to operate your CES and view navigation; however, and all-in-one device won’t fit here.
  • You are pretty much stuck with whatever is inside the all-in-one (i.e., no easy way to upgrade individual components).
  • If one “part breaks,” it’s all broken. For example, if your all-in-one device experiences a navigation failure, you may be faced with replacing the entire unit.

Modular Digital Systems
This is a collection of separate components you install and connect to a remote monitor you fit into the Z’s upper/forward cubby. The remote LCD touch screen monitor is “command central” for the entire CES and all the components you have in your CES. The components are an H/U, along with any optional devices you want (DVD player, navigation, rearview camera, external amps, etc.). The system can use either a single-din or double-din H/U.

Advantages:
  • A Modular Digital System puts the touch screen LCD monitor inside the Z’s upper/forward cubby where viewing and operation is easier and safer.
  • You can mix and match various components (navigation, remote DVD player, etc.) to get the best solution for your needs
  • You can upgrade individual components (or replace a “broken” device) without sacrificing the entire system.
Disadvantages:
  • It costs more to build a CES using separate components. You pay more for the components, and the installations cost is higher. Manufacturers of modular digital systems often use proprietary connections, forcing you to use their products.
  • You have more research insuring that the separate components will work together. You can mitigate this problem somewhat by staying with a single manufacturer, but that limits your choices when selecting your individual components.
  • The best modular digital solutions come from only two manufacturers, Alpine and Kenwood. So you are somewhat limited.

I realize you request specific information and model numbers, but it’s more complicated than that. I could go on and on ...and on ...listing different solutions with various components. You need to do some research here to get exactly what you want.

Hope this helps and does not just add more confusion,

--Spike