Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Replacing Bose head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Mouse_Pad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Bose head unit

My 2008 350Z has the Bose sound system. What I want to do is replace the head unit with one that can effectively control my iPod. Ideally, I want something with a touch screen that will completely control the iPod, so I can put the iPod in the glove compartment and basically forget about it. But I haven't gotten so far as to pick one out yet.

When it comes to the car, I'm not an audiophile. I don't play music excessively loud and I don't demand perfect quality. The Bose sound, as it came from the factory, is quite satisfactory for me.

I've been poking around the forum and read some conflicting statements about the Bose system. My question is, if I replace just the head unit, will the quality of the sound decrease significantly? If it will, what parts (amp, speakers, etc.) have to be replaced in order to retain a comparable sound quality?

Last edited by Mouse_Pad; 09-08-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts
Default bose

ill be totally frank w you.. the speakers in this car are the worst i have EVER seen in many years of installation work.

a company called Peripheral may make an adapter for the factory radio to control an ipod.... google it.

if not, be prepared to buy new speakers for the doors and a basic alpine deck, whihc has " hi speed i pod control" (just what you wanted) and you CANT go wrong, audiophile or not, its just good quality stuff.

All in tow, you may spend 600 bucks instlaled for everything, all while supproting local businesses.

You will not be disappointed.

And you CAN spend ALOT more.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Mouse_Pad

What about the rear speakers and subwoofer? Are they worth keeping?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
idkorcare

AVHP-3200(BT or DVD) http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P3200BT

or you could even try looking for one of the older models and probably get them for half the price. either way it should sound as good or slightly better than it does now. Do the radio, leave the rest alone speakers/sub/amp. If you want to change any of it later or dont like the way it sounds you can always change it later.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Mouse_Pad

The more I read about the Bose system, the more I feel inclined to save up some more money and just replace the whole damn thing. Are there any components, aside from the head unit, that are not substandard?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 AM
idkorcare

Not really, I think I have read people having problems with just about ever component. The radio and sub amp seem to be the most common parts that have issues. But if you like the way it sounds just change the deck. Then later on you can replace the rest as you see fit, you dont have to do it all at once.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If your Z has the OEM Bose “upgrade,” and you replace only the H/U, you will get more and better features from the new H/U, but the sound won’t improve if you keep the remaining Bose components (door speakers, rear speakers, Bose SubW, Bose amps) in place. In fact you need to add an adapter to use the existing Bose components with your new H/U.

It’s not an easy choice to toss out all the Bose stuff to get much better sound, but that is the only way to realize the full advantages of your new H/U.

--Spike
Old 09-10-2010, 05:14 AM
-zip-

If you want to keep the Bose Unit and have Ipod/Phone connectivity check out PAC's uPACNIS1, it connects directly to the Blose in the back, will not affect Sat radio and works with steering controls if you have them.

I use one, it works fantastic. err no touch screen though.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 AM
idkorcare

Originally Posted by Spike100
In fact you need to add an adapter to use the existing Bose components with your new H/U.
Actually you dont, installed just a radio first in both my 350z and G35 and it worked just fine. I have also pulled adapters like this out of several cars and the sound quality was immediatly improved. I just wouldnt spend extra on it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Mouse_Pad

I'm debating this in my mind. I really want the functionality of a better head unit. Knowing that the remaining Bose components are likely to fail eventually, it makes sense to replace it all at once. Doing it in pieces would mean additional labor costs. I'm not comfortable with the idea of doing it myself.

When I stop and think about what I'm hearing, the Bose system really doesn't sound very good. It's better than the blown speakers in my 98 Blazer, but that's not saying much.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Spike100
In fact you need to add an adapter to use the existing Bose components with your new H/U.
Originally Posted by idkorcare
Actually you dont, installed just a radio first in both my 350z and G35 and it worked just fine. I have also pulled adapters like this out of several cars and the sound quality was immediatly improved. I just wouldnt spend extra on it.
Interesting… Questions:

What brand H/U did you install?

Did you leave the Bose amps in place?

--Spike
Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM
idkorcare

Originally I replaced just the radios in both cars with a Pioneer F700BT in one and a F900BT. Left the Bose amps alone. I drove the G35 around like that for about 4 months and the 350z for a few weeks. The 350Z's system was shot the day I bought it, none of the buttons on the radio worked due to coffee or coke and I was having the relay issue with the sub amp. The night I bought it I took the stock deck out and apart to clean all the gunk but it still had issues reading cds and the tape player was shot. Needless to say I replaced the radio asap, was going to anyway.

Left it that way for a couple weeks with constant nagging from the wife about the sub. So with an upcomming vacation I gutted her old system and replaced everything removing all the Bose.

The adapter only helps match level outputs and alot of radios now have settings to do the same thing. Worst case senario is that the system maxes out before your radios volume does but most likely you end up replacing everything anyway so no point wasting the money. Plus like I said earlier, it affects sound quality sometimes.

I use to tell people all the time that they had to replace everything in their car if it had Bose, made lots doing it. Told them all kinds of reasons which I had never personally seen or heard. Seems like alot of people on here do the same thing because its someone else fed them the same line of crap.

Spike, I wasnt picking on or directing anything at you, its just alot of people read what others on here say and follow it to a T without having a clue why or really know what they are doing.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Mr. D

I installed a Pioneer 4100DVD into my 05 with the Blose. I just ordered the wire harness from Crutchfield, left the original amps and speakers in place. I would say sound quality improved over the Bose head unit, but there's definitely room for improvement.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by idkorcare
Originally I replaced just the radios in both cars with a Pioneer F700BT in one and a F900BT. Left the Bose amps alone. I drove the G35 around like that for about 4 months and the 350z for a few weeks. The 350Z's system was shot the day I bought it, none of the buttons on the radio worked due to coffee or coke and I was having the relay issue with the sub amp. The night I bought it I took the stock deck out and apart to clean all the gunk but it still had issues reading cds and the tape player was shot. Needless to say I replaced the radio asap, was going to anyway.

Left it that way for a couple weeks with constant nagging from the wife about the sub. So with an upcomming vacation I gutted her old system and replaced everything removing all the Bose.

The adapter only helps match level outputs and alot of radios now have settings to do the same thing. Worst case senario is that the system maxes out before your radios volume does but most likely you end up replacing everything anyway so no point wasting the money. Plus like I said earlier, it affects sound quality sometimes.

I use to tell people all the time that they had to replace everything in their car if it had Bose, made lots doing it. Told them all kinds of reasons which I had never personally seen or heard. Seems like alot of people on here do the same thing because its someone else fed them the same line of crap.

Spike, I wasnt picking on or directing anything at you, its just alot of people read what others on here say and follow it to a T without having a clue why or really know what they are doing.
You make some good points. My point is that Bose sound systems are proprietary, and mixing the system with products from other manufacturers might be disappointing.

Here are some Q & A quotations from a respected Bose installer/repair service company:

Q. Can I add a new radio?
A. It is not a great idea. Most customers who attempt it change their minds and revert back to the Bose head unit or end up spending more to complete the change of the entire system. Each Bose music system is completely integrated, with every element custom-engineered to work together as a whole. That's why the music sounds so rich and life-like. To help achieve this sound quality, special equalization circuits are built into the system -- in the radio and in the amplifiers. If you install a new radio, you lose these circuits and their special signal processing algorithms. The results can be disappointing: decreased sound quality, incorrect bass and treble balance, distortion at high volumes, and loss of bass at low volumes

Q. Can I replace the Bose stereo, bypass the amplifiers and use the Bose speakers?
A. Bose speakers are usually 1or 2 ohm. A 1 or 2 ohm load to aftermarket stereos looks like a shorted speaker. This will cause the stereo to rapidly heat up and may damage the output stages.

I suppose you could make the same case for other OEM sound installations. Owners often opt to replace the H/U to gain additional features, but only replacing the H/U can be a disappointment if your goal is better sound. Best case is you get a marginal improvement in sound, and worst case is lower quality sound. If your goal is better sound and you have a limited budget, go with better speakers and amps first.

--Spike
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 AM
idkorcare

I will not deny that the Bose systems are made to work together, but in a lot of the older Bose set ups including 350zs I really dont think there is anything special in the headunit. Now alot of newer vehicles with a premium sound systems got to have an adapter to make them work at all because they are digital or work off data wires rather than regular audio wires and turnon.

In any event, for the 350z the adapter does not solve either of the two questions you posted. Whether you change the radio or not the amps will still see Bose speakers the same and run them the same, pretty sure the stock radio just puts out a full range signal. And for some reason I keep thinking at the the front speakers were 4 ohms. I tested them when I put my amps in just cant remember.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good ideas in this thread. i decided i finally want to replace my entire bose system for something better
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Mouse_Pad

I think I've pretty well decided to keep saving until I can replace the whole system, as well. I can put up with the mediocre sound and FM iPod adapter for a few months.

It's funny. I've never been a "car guy," but after owning the Z for just a couple of months, I've already got a few thousands dollards worth of improvements I want to make to it.