Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
9kFever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better change the stats! Nissan is buying back my Z. Woohoo!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by 9kFever
First of all, congrats 9kFever! As the OP of this monster thread, finally Nissan is dong right for you. It was your thread that made me start looking into OC after I felt I didn't get enough oil out of my engine during my first oil change I did.

Since I am on motor 3 (second replacement motor), and also in Cali, I am a little curious what you had to do. I read over the California Arbitration website after the first time they replaced my motor and gave them a call (for future reference).

I think your experiences in this may be very helpful to some of us who are not very keen on getting a 4th motor.

1. Had they replaced your motor three times or two times?
2. Are you getting a new 07/08 Z or not? If so, did you get another Z without paying sales tax? From my interpretation of arbitration, it seems if you get the same model car, you may not have to pay sales tax again, but I wanted to verify this. Hey in Cali, we are talking $2000 sales tax minimum on a new Z
3. Did you get a lawyer, or speak with BBB, or California Arbitration to get the ball rolling?
4. Did you lose a % of the value based on the initial mileage when you reported OC? I believe the formula is based on initial mileage/120000 miles.

If you don't feel you should talk about specifics in an open forum, I would be very honored if you could send me a PM about this.

PS I am not totally sure if my V2 is consuming enough for a buy back. See my next post for details on current OC.

Congrats again!

Last edited by joe_blow_xbox; 02-08-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
joe_blow_xbox

@ZeeForce - update on my V2

(2) Some OC – Still Pending

Oil Consumption: 7mm
Mileage on Engine: 2050
Mileage on current oil change interval: 850
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: Dealer Installed Castrol GTX 5W30.

During 1200 miles break-in in the motor = 8 mm oil consumption.

I followed Nissan's break-in meticulously. At 1200 miles on the V2, I had them change the oil.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by joe_blow_xbox
First of all, congrats 9kFever! As the OP of this monster thread, finally Nissan is dong right for you. It was your thread that made me start looking into OC after I felt I didn't get enough oil out of my engine during my first oil change I did.

Since I am on motor 3 (second replacement motor), and also in Cali, I am a little curious what you had to do. I read over the California Arbitration website after the first time they replaced my motor and gave them a call (for future reference).

I think your experiences in this may be very helpful to some of us who are not very keen on getting a 4th motor.

1. Had they replaced your motor three times or two times?
2. Are you getting a new 07/08 Z or not? If so, did you get another Z without paying sales tax? From my interpretation of arbitration, it seems if you get the same model car, you may not have to pay sales tax again, but I wanted to verify this. Hey in Cali, we are talking $2000 sales tax minimum on a new Z
3. Did you get a lawyer, or speak with BBB, or California Arbitration to get the ball rolling?
4. Did you lose a % of the value based on the initial mileage when you reported OC? I believe the formula is based on initial mileage/120000 miles.

If you don't feel you should talk about specifics in an open forum, I would be very honored if you could send me a PM about this.

PS I am not totally sure if my V2 is consuming enough for a buy back. See my next post for details on current OC.

Congrats again!
We are still working out the final numbers but Nissan has said they will buy it back. If I were you I would contact www.normantaylor.com .

They are the best lemon law attorneys in California, afterall they helped write the law. My car was bought used some my situation is different but they will take care of you even better.

I have had 2 replacements.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Buddy Revell

Just got my G35 back with the new engine. It has the 10102-AC7M9 part number on the invoice, so apparently I have the so-called "V2" engine. Too soon to know if it's a success, but I'll post a status report as soon as I put a couple thousand miles on it. One thing I did notice is that it does seem a little sluggish compared to my original motor. Pretty disappointing. I don't know, maybe it's because I was rolling in an '07 G35 sedan loaner for a while, I got used to the extra torque. Man, I never realized how much stronger the HR feels in the low to mid range than the rev-up VQ engines, even in those big sedans. Makes me very tempted to just say screw it and go get a G37.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
luvZcar

CONGRATS ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPE YOU STAY IN THE FAMILY, as stated before if it was not for you I too would not have had a place to get the wonderful info that has helped me get two motors, fortunatly at the time my new motor is not eating oil so lets pray,I'm happy for you man justice finally!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...one of the reasons why I would NOT buy a 2006 from the US here in Canada. Soooo many dealerships selling 2006's from the US with low miles. hmm..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
ZeeForce

Default First page Install Stats updated

The Stats List has been updated on the first page.

To sum up the current V2 & V1 Install Stats we have:

Total 36 members
Buy-Back = 2
Not enough data or no update in a long time = 11
Recent new members with no response to my PM = 8

No Good Range = 3
OK Range = 12

The numbers above speak for themselves.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM
ZeeForce

9kFever - Congrats!
Q: Did you have to serve NNA with a final repair notice before you could demand a buy-back?

joe_blow_xBox, thanks for the update, it's now on the Stats List.

Buddy Revell - congrats on the V2, sent you a PM for when you have some miles and can give some stats.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
9kFever - Congrats!
Q: Did you have to serve NNA with a final repair notice before you could demand a buy-back?

Buddy Revell - congrats on the V2, sent you a PM for when you have some miles and can give some stats.
No final repair notice. My lawyer noted 7 repair attempts for all the times I came in and nothing was done other than checking the oil level.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by luvZcar
CONGRATS ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPE YOU STAY IN THE FAMILY, as stated before if it was not for you I too would not have had a place to get the wonderful info that has helped me get two motors, fortunatly at the time my new motor is not eating oil so lets pray,I'm happy for you man justice finally!!

Zeeforce is actually the driving force behind this. He updates page 1 from my account. Thanks Curtis!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Buddy Revell

Thumbs up

9kFever - Congrats!

Gotcha, ZeeForce. I'll hit you up when I have some useful info for you.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
ZeeForce

No final repair notice. My lawyer noted 7 repair attempts for all the times I came in and nothing was done other than checking the oil level.
Great on not having to give them a final repair notice. I had read that or heard from Bofa and dbasal way back, on the repair attempts, that it can be any time you take the car in for an OC test, it is counted as an attempt to repair.

Well it's almost over for you, you have been here from the start. They should award you some additional money for all the time posting here? Maybe as an inconvience expense, a few grey hairs, loss of sleep, stress, loss of job, wife and kids left you.....you know the extra stuff lawyers can get you...jk about the last three items.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 PM
ZeeForce

Zeeforce is actually the driving force behind this. He updates page 1 from my account. Thanks Curtis!
Thanks, just trying to give a little back to the community.

I think luvZcar is trying to say is if you had not started this thread, he would still be turning over his entire pay check to the ....... for all the oil he would be buying. You do need to take credit, as you have always chimed in with some good information. Even at wee hours of the night. Maybe luvZcar should turn over a portion of his paycheck to you now that he does not have to purchase any additional oil. Naw... that is not what we are here for, or about.

Cheers
-Curtis
Old 02-09-2008, 07:28 AM
antennahead

The current V2 Install Stats List has been updated and can be found on the first page. I have been sending PMs to all the members old and new. If I missed someone in the last week, please PM me and I will send instructions on how to provide data to me for updating the Stats List. Also new is Engine Break-In from the owners manual, and a link to another method. The Stats Template has been revised to a cleaner format.

I added a new column to the Stats List that should be very interesting and a quick glance to see the current oil consumption and how it rates on the TSB Oil Consumption Chart. Also added under engine: “V2 or V1” members that have gone through more than one replacement, this does not include their original engine that came with the vehicle from the manufacture.

I have added some information to the first page regarding the BBB link that has ALL states Lemon Laws (very good site). Also added will be a great article on Reasons for Oil Consumption, it will posted soon, the file was too large and I will need to re-scan as a pdf and decrease the file size.

New info added to the first page:

The Better Business Bureau Auto Line (BBB): http://www.us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePa...d-7a3e16e8da33
Lemon Law (or Buy Back) information for your state can also be found on the above link.

Reasons for Motor Oil Consumption: provided by a reputable oil manufacture – AMSOIL: (coming soon)

Engine Break-In:
Attached is from the owner’s manual.

Here is a link to another method for engine break in. This method maybe controversial, I am only posting it for your own decision on which method to break in a new engine. Note: Most dealers will run the first 20 miles on the new engine before they hand it over to you.

To sum up the current V2 / V1 Install Stats we have:

Total 34 members
Buy-Back = 1
Not enough data or no update in a long time = 9
Recent new members with no response to my PM = 10

No Good Range = 3
OK Range = 11

The numbers above speak for themselves.

Cheers
-Curtis

edit...I just found an error on my part: Creation2 should be "No Good". I have corrected the numbers above and will correct the Stats List over the weekend.

Just had my second oil change on the V2. I used about 2/3 of a quart in approximately 4000 miles. Engine runs strong and smooth, and is giving me no problems. If I stay at this level between oil changes I will be happy.

John
Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
luvZcar

Thanks, just trying to give a little back to the community.

I think luvZcar is trying to say is if you had not started this thread, he would still be turning over his entire pay check to the ....... for all the oil he would be buying. You do need to take credit, as you have always chimed in with some good information. Even at wee hours of the night. Maybe luvZcar should turn over a portion of his paycheck to you now that he does not have to purchase any additional oil. Naw... that is not what we are here for, or about.

Cheers
-Curtis
Always give credit to Curtis and the awsome job he's doing, but 9k my first motor was replaced before any stats were being recorded and it was info that was given then that helped,though now the guys joining the family have alot more to go on because of Zeeforce and we should all be greatful of that he's a great guy, but even he found a home here because you started this thread SO I GUESS I'M SAYING THANKS TO YOU FOR THE FIRST MOTOR AND CURTIS FOR THE V2!!!!!NONE OIL BURNER(Zeeforce made sure I had the right part # when I went back for the 2nd time).As far as a portion of my pay check 5% thats the best I'll do,you guys can fight over the split,LOL
Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by antennahead
Just had my second oil change on the V2. I used about 2/3 of a quart in approximately 4000 miles. Engine runs strong and smooth, and is giving me no problems. If I stay at this level between oil changes I will be happy.

John
Falls under the OK range on the TSB, I would quess to say the engine is still breaking-in and hopefully the OC stays the same or drops as the miles rack up.

Sent you a PM to get data for the Stats List, if you could reply back to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM
ZeeForce

Always give credit to Curtis and the awsome job he's doing, but 9k my first motor was replaced before any stats were being recorded and it was info that was given then that helped,though now the guys joining the family have alot more to go on because of Zeeforce and we should all be greatful of that he's a great guy, but even he found a home here because you started this thread SO I GUESS I'M SAYING THANKS TO YOU FOR THE FIRST MOTOR AND CURTIS FOR THE V2!!!!!NONE OIL BURNER(Zeeforce made sure I had the right part # when I went back for the 2nd time).As far as a portion of my pay check 5% thats the best I'll do,you guys can fight over the split,LOL
Thanks again, It’s seems like such a long time ago, that I posted up my pics of the crated V2 engine and joined the community. I get great satisfaction when our family can come together and help out with the Stat Lists. I bug folks on PMs every time a post shows up with a new engine replacement or some V2 stats. This is coming together more recently than ever before. I am receiving some good info. So keep up the good job and pardon my pesty buggyness when asking for more data to update the list.

Looking back there were some great memories helping out fellow brothers, like the night luvZcar had some computer technical issues trying to get a letter from Nissan posted up, we spent awhile trying to get it moved to me so I could scan and post it, then I believe TuckandTwist jumped in and helped out. After several emails we finally got it posted up for all to view. Moments like that stick out as fond memories of the brotherhood that has developed here, everyone helping out everyone. With all the bad, there is still some good, and when I reflect back these are the ones I will remember.

I am making good memories as I write this, I have already met for breakfast with a V2 brother and planning another breakfast meet tomorrow with hopefully another member that has been very helpful on this thread and whom I collaborated with for the information found on the first page. No doubt it could not have been possible without 9kFever helping out and letting me update his original post on page one. It’s great to finally meet some brothers and if I could travel across the USA I would like to meet in person all the brothers here. Typing into a monitor screen can get boring after awhile, hence my initiative to meet up with some here. There is much more to talk about at a faster pace when it’s face to face.

I do hope to get down to Southern California sometime in the near future and meet up with many more brothers. I see more and more joining in from So Cal, the land of, you are what you drive.

I will contribute my 2.5 % of luvZcar’s pay check back to the community.

Any-who….I have jammered on long enough. Thanks guys for the great memories.

Peace
-Curtis
Old 02-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Super Black

A couple of weeks ago when I started my car it made a very loud knocking noise (almost the sound of a blown engine) so I had it towed to the closest dealership. Of course, the service guy tried to pull a fast one on me --- he was telling me that my oil is low, that they didn't have records of oil changes, and that my oil is pretty dirty. So pretty much he was implying that I'm not taking good care of my car. So to cut the BS, I told him that I'm a member of a car forum and I am aware of the oil consumption problem. Right after saying this, his response was "ok, we'll further diagnose the problem and call you back". A couple hours later, I heard back from them saying that they will put me on a 1K M oil consumption test. It's been 2 weeks and I've only accumulated 200 miles. My commute to work is only 8 miles back and forth. I'm worried about driving my car long distance because of the loud ticking noise on the engine and I don't want to pay a lot for towing (I prefer to get my engine replaced (hopefully) at the same dealership I had it diagnosd, it's the closest to home and I want to avoid going through the BS again).

I want NNA buy back my car or replace it with a new car!!! I've had my car for almost 3 years now, I only have 26K miles on it. On top of this, this is not my first trip to the dealership for a major car problem. At 13K miles, my crank shaft position sensor went bad. I took it to them and they replaced it. At the same time I also told them about the rattle coming from my rear end, they said they lubed "it" and the noise did go away.... But now it's back AGAIN!

I'm so pissed off!!!!. First the crankshaft position sensor, and the rattle in the rear end, now it's the engine, so what's next????

Oh did I mention that the freaking dealer didn't even give me a loaner or a free rent-a-car?

Last edited by Super Black; 02-09-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 AM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im going for an engine change tomorrow my first. i asked as to which engine they were replacing and he said there was only one option. i'll ask for the part number tomorrow.

what a disapointment this fn car. altimas have the same problem, i dont think i'll buy a nissan again.
whats is the impact of oil consumption in the long run? the engine will not last as long?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion