Notices

Homemade Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewk
I got the passenger side hooked up. But which hose do I do this too on the drivers side? Any closeup pics would be appreciated.

-andrew

it comes right of the back of the drivers side under the throttle body and by the fire wall... and the hose runs to your intake tube or intake....
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthz
well neither are necessary but both help... your drivers side gets oil in the system as well and takes it to your intake or charge side, it's usually not as much oil though... if you don't want a catch can on the drivers side you can also put a breather filter on the drivers side....
How effective is this? I would think that you'd be allowing unmetered air into the system. Is using on of these breather filter on the driver side really OK?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:21 PM
drewk

Ok, so I finally installed the catch can and changed the spark plugs. Drove the car for about 2 days. There is about a tea spoon of oil in the catch can. Is this bad? Im turbo btw...
Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 PM
stealthz

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Bump for answer to this ^^^^ question. Thanks.
http://projectsaa2.blogspot.com/2008...on-vq35de.html

read this link it better describes how the pvc system works... the monitoring air is still going to be monitored but going to the throttle body which is where it's the most important.... but on boosted cars some people will use the breather filter so when your system pressurizes the air can escape out of the filter instead of going back into your charge side.... and a lot of people will drill the drivers side out a lil bit to help more air escape
Old 11-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Havok_RLS2

http://projectsaa2.blogspot.com/2008...on-vq35de.html

read this link it better describes how the pvc system works... the monitoring air is still going to be monitored but going to the throttle body which is where it's the most important.... but on boosted cars some people will use the breather filter so when your system pressurizes the air can escape out of the filter instead of going back into your charge side.... and a lot of people will drill the drivers side out a lil bit to help more air escape
Thank you Stealthz!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM
drewk

What does it mean if there is oil going into your catch can... is it bad?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Havok_RLS2

What does it mean if there is oil going into your catch can... is it bad?

It means it's working. It's a good thing.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What does that breather filter do?

I just bought that hose....
yep that hose is junk don't run it....
I went ahead and re-did my setup.. https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...lots-pics.html

as you can see from these pics of the old setup.. after a while you can see the hose is a POS.. i also went ahead and did the hose kit from corvette accessories that gothchick recommended... if you have the husky catch can.. don't get their elbow fittings... they are too small

Old

New
Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running a catch can for a long while (thanks to this thread) with good results.

I was thinking after taking a look through doug's recent thread about his re-done catch can install, about something I had meant to ask in this thread.

I have this problem with tightening things down too much. When I installed the barbs in my Husky catch can, I used Teflon tape, and probably tightened them more than i should have. I didn't strip the threads or anything, but they're probably not in as good of shape as they were when new.

From what I've read about Teflon tape, it provides a pretty good seal. If I wore down the threads on the catch can housing a little bit by over tightening, the Teflon tape would probably fill those voids, right? And if I had even a hairline leak air, I'm probably thinking I would either notice leaking from the oil blowby getting through at the barbs, or irregularities in my idle?

Last edited by blackfairlady; 12-06-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i would start the car.. get some dish soap and water mixed together..then rub it around the ends of the barbs.. see if its leaking
Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
blackfairlady

I mean, I essentially threaded the barbs in until it wasn't "easy" anymore, then did the necessary amount (fraction of a turn) after that point until the barb sat at the angle I needed it to be.

When I say, the "easy" range it basically means that if that barb did not have teflon tape around it providing some resistance, I would be able to thread it in finger tight. I'm just concerned because I normally would just do a 1/4 turn past finger tight to insure a secure fit, but I had to sometimes do 1/2 or 3/4 turn to get that barb facing the right way (because of the angle my can is mounted).
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

I've got an 'O4 Touring Coupe with 18+k on it. I NEVER have to add oil to her between
changes (one oil change a year, 'cause I only put +or- 7,5OOk on her per year): Should
I still get one of 'em thingies??
____________________________________________________________ __________________
'O4 Touring Coupe! FLAWLESS AT! NO feathering! NO oil-consumption issues! NO PROBLEMO!!!

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 12-07-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 AM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I just did mine earlier tonight, but I have one question. I didn't observe this sound before, maybe because I never paid attention, but when I start the car both the "in" and "out" hose makes noise. I know there is no vacuum leak because it doesn't sound like a hissing noise, rather an unconstant bzzzzpppp noise (something like that). It makes that noise, stops..... then comes back; so on and so forth. When I squeeze either the "in" or "out" hose, the noise stops. Does that mean that its starting to build back the pressure on the hose from when I removed the OEM one? Does it go away after pressure is back up? I finished late tonight so I didn't take it out for a drive yet; the car was on for about 5-8 minutes. Hopefully the pressure builds back to normal and the noise goes away. Its not loud or anything, I can hear it mostly when I'm about a foot away from the engine. Other than that it's quiet and idles very nicely.

Here's my setup:
-Husky filter (1/4")
-Brass elbow fittings (1/4") w/3/8" nozzle
-Fuel hose (3/8") 50psi
-Teflon tape

BTW, the arrow on the filter is pointing towards the PCV. That's the right way isn't it?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
stealthz

the arrow should be pointing away from the pcv.... and pressured air moving will make some noise.... just make sure you got some good hoses' that won't collapse or kink really when there bent, I think the power steering hose works better than the fuel hose
Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 AM
finalforce

the arrow should be pointing "away" from the pcv.... and pressured air moving will make some noise.... just make sure you got some good hoses' that won't collapse or kink really when there bent, I think the power steering hose works better than the fuel hose
Are you sure you didn't get it backwards? Here's what the TS put in "red":

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Now attach the catch can to the PCV valve and the intake manifold using the factory hose clamps.

IMPORTANT: Be sure the arrow on top of the catch can is pointing towards the intake manifold. This arrow indicates the direction of airflow.

That's it. You're done. Be sure to check the oil level in your catch can once a week until you know how long it takes to fill up. [/color]

.....and here's another one the TS responded to w/another forum member with a question:

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Bought all my stuff, I came upon a confusion when installing. I noticed when I opened the cap, I saw the outlet/inlet to be different designs. Which way are we suppose to route it to?

I'm guessing crankcase to the flow as show in attached picture then to lower plenum... since I looked into the hole and it points straight down. The OP routed it the other way though.

*note* one nozzle is shorter than the other

Air comes out of the crankcase, goes through the can and out to the plenum. You want the arrow on the can (there should be an arrow stamped on top of the can) to point towards the plenum. The arrow indicates the direction of air flow.

Now here's a members post (notice the arrows pointing towards the PCV as TS recommended and how I did mine):

Originally Posted by LSX-PWR
Here is mine.

I see some people who did theirs as you mentioned. Which one is right? Does it even matter?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by finalforce
Now here's a members post (notice the arrows pointing towards the PCV as TS recommended and how I did mine)

I see some people who did theirs as you mentioned. Which one is right? Does it even matter?
i think you need to reread the statement in red, since it says nothing about the arrow being pointed towards the PCV

IMPORTANT: Be sure the arrow on top of the catch can is pointing towards the intake manifold. This arrow indicates the direction of airflow.
the intake manifold is not the PCV. air flow goes from the PCV---> intake manifold. so if you got the arrow pointing towards the PCV you got it wrong. and yes, it does matter which direction the arrow is pointing in this case.

the pic you described as the arrow pointing towards the PCV is labled incorrectly as well. so i see you might be confused as to what the PCV is.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
stealthz

Pcv is on the valve cover... Not the plenum
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM
finalforce

Arrow In regards to Air Flow and terminologies.....

Alright, just to update the community, instead of going with my understanding I went ahead and did some further research here, other forums, called some mechanic friends, and called some prestigious shops and they all came to one conclusion. I know I did a little too much research, but I want to be positive that all noteworthy sources were uniform. I'm glad I did because I didn't want to redo my work, even if it would've been easy

Its a basic and simple mod, but like "every" mod.....you want to be 100% its being done correctly. I am in no way pointing any fingers or trying to weed out those who are giving the wrong information. I've literally read this entire thread (all 16 pages so far) and noticed two different installs. This lead me to do further research on air flow, where the "in" tube comes from, and where the "out" tube goes, the arrow direction.....so on and so forth.....

Also keep in mind some of the reputable shops such as Motordyne Engineering (in my opinion has the strongest understanding of the VQ plenums), SP Engineering, and Signal Auto to name a few, are some of my sources for reference. Here are some key points one must understand:

Plenum= Intake Manifold
*The plenum for the 350z is also known as the intake manifold.

PCV= Positive crankcase ventillation

Oil cooler arrow= Important: Has to point towards the (Intake manifold) and follow proper air flow

Air Flow= Oil vapors are created in the cylinder and evaporates out from the crank case (where the "in" tube originates) and flows to the oil catch can. The vacuum air originating from the Intake Manifold is what creates the air flow so that oxygen, rather than oil in the catch can flows back into the Intake manifold instead of oil mixed into it (unlike OEM design).

"Mild" hissing noise= It is very normal to hear it at a moderate level. The sound is created through both the hose and oil catch can which orignates from the Plenum as a vacuum for which helps create the air flow. If it is loud it could be a vacuum leak elsewhere or it can simply be that the clamps on the hose are not properly set. To test if the catch can hoses are leaking you can do one of two tests. The soap and water method or you can simply pinch either the "in" or "out" hose (one at a time) and if the noise stops then there is no vacuum leak. If you pinch either of the two and the noise persists, there is a vacuum leak on one of the hoses or elsewhere.

I would like to thank the OP for the DIY. I believe you hit the nail in the head with the comments I dug up below from your replies. I know some have installed it backwards and would strongly recommend they do it the proper way as originally shown. The only reason I posted this was to make sure everyone is on the right track so we all can enjoy this awesome mod

Air comes out of the crankcase, goes through the can and out to the plenum. You want the arrow on the can (there should be an arrow stamped on top of the can) to point towards the plenum. The arrow indicates the direction of air flow.
Correct way to install (arrow facing towards Intake Manifold, same direction):
Originally Posted by LSX-PWR
* Fixed

Last edited by finalforce; 02-05-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
stealthz

pcv stands for: Positive Crankcase Ventilation (This is the check valve on top of the passenger side valve cover)
-pcv does not stand for Plenum Cover Valve

Last edited by stealthz; 02-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 PM
stealthz

On another note, IMO I think the best way to hook up a an oil catch can on a boosted car would be to leave the pcv alone unless you can't vent out your crank case pressure fast enough and your tracking your car a lot, than drill it out if needed.... if your car is a DD than I would run the catch can on the passenger side and leave the pcv alone. Than on the driver side, Drill out the valve cover breather on the inside to the same diameter it is on the outside to help vent the crank case pressure.... and I personally like venting the driver side breather into the atmosphere with a breather filter rather than recycling that air back into the charge (intake) side, only to help less oil vapor or film go in to the charge side while your motor is trying to vent those gases and vapor out the breather... although the driver side barley admits any oil back into the system, I would just rather vent that air to the atmosphere than hooking up a catch can on the driver side or having the breather air line hooked up to the charge side....

P.s.
if you do end up having to drill out the pcv for your ccp than I would suggest not lettin the air from the pcv recycle back into the intake manifold, because than you would have no one way valve stopping the high boost pressure inside the intake manifold from heading The opposite direction as well... Disrubting your air flow... So if you do drill the pcv I would suggest running a line off the drilled Pcv into an oil catch can and then letting it vent threw a breather filter as well... And pluggin off the inlet to the intake manifold

Last edited by stealthz; 02-04-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Homemade Catch Can