Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to let the guys here know that there are a couple other Z's that are sporting the sts kit....They just dont post on the forums...I remember seeing a black 6mt one from idaho and another silver z from cali....and the other Z that is on the website.

I dont think this guy is babying his car either
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...rent=Movie.flv
Old 10-04-2007, 12:09 PM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice....
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by Quamen
There is more to intercooler design then bar/plate and tube/fin obviously.

If you want the intercooler to flow more it should be a intercooler with more short rows and internally baffled too divide airflow evenly within the intercooler. Short rows, but more of them (similar to the procharger and vortech old intercoolers) will flow more if setup correct and offer better cooling also.

True but I already have an IC (PE TT ARC FMIC) that I got from Gurgen so my choice is down to only that
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by Sub zero
I just want to let the guys here know that there are a couple other Z's that are sporting the sts kit....They just dont post on the forums...I remember seeing a black 6mt one from idaho and another silver z from cali....and the other Z that is on the website.

I dont think this guy is babying his car either
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...rent=Movie.flv

wonder why those guys aren't on the site
Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Sub zero

I have no idea?!?! I do remember the black pulling some nice numbers too.....I forgot what kind of exhuast he was running but he also had test pipes/decat pipes and his car was LOUD!!! I will try and get some vids of that car and post them up!!! hopefully I can get their names and have them post their opinions and future plans with their car
Old 10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
DanielW
Banned

what kind of numbers were they putting down? for that matter what kind of numbers are you putting down?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
MRC, please stop with the condescending posts or taking jabs at other users unnecessarily.

Sub zero, while I agree that MRC did instigate, there was no need for such name calling.

Let's try to keep this thread clean, guys.
Please expound whereas this was "instigative" or "condesending" in manner?

PHP Code:
Giving your car to a shop and you dont know what their gonna do?
What has this wrold come to now.. 
If it was I appologize, Perhaps I should have phrased my post better. What the underlying meaning was.
Whats with all this TOP SECRET stuff going on and Sub Zero making all these posts and cliams with zero credibility and backing? His posts from day one in regards to this kit were enought to get even the most seasoned veteran as myself sucked into the STS game..And it is a game.
From the beginning, I was intriuged about the kit, but after installing a few and doing tons of their research and helping them with the VQ platform,I was stabbed in the back. Yes, I have contempt for STS for a business deal gone south, and them not being people of trustworthy and reputable nature. Now what My intentions are is to assist other members of the 350Z world from making the same mistake we did and getting involved with STS in any way. Heck, if they can turn around and double cross a shop like mine and a person of my stand up nature, what do you think they would do to a consumer??
IMHO they should not be upgrading the kit as much as they should be conetrating on making the current consumers happy and supplying the correct parts and install instructions. Heck, their oil sump wiring diagram is wrong..They didnt even realize that there are 2 different IPDM modules in the 2003-2004 years where the wire to tap off for the oil sump is different.
I will no longer post in this thread, and I will let some kid from UTAH that got a free turbo kit direct all of the members of the FI forum and hype up a product that IMHO is garbage, then you may all folow the flock..But do not say I did not try to warn all of you based on professional and personal experiences.
Any of you know me, know I may be hot headed at times, however i am by far one of the most stand up guys you will ever meet.You will not find one person to say I screwed them over.And to me, that means more than making a sale.
I offered my customers turbo kits at cost, and $1000 credit towards labor to upgrade to a proven and reliable kit..
That is all..

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 10-04-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

WOW!! I just recieved this PM from Sub Zero!!
you know what your problem is Julian....you don't know how to just shut the **** up. But I forgive you and I apologize for calling you names lol
I don't care who you are...you gotta earn respect....you don't just receive it because of your post count?!?!
I didn't receive the sts kit for free.....you just made that sh*t up...because I know rick didn't tell you that....you know what...now that you think about it I believe your tax dollars paid for my turbo kit...and my house..my cars..and my vacation to hawawii this weekend. So Thank you Julian...thank you for supporting the military! Kid......lol
You don't like me and I don't like you....sounds good to me!
This kid is a member our our US armed forces??My Tax dollars pay for this?
I respectfully request some moderator action here, I should not be verbally abused in public or private messages by any member of this board..
This is what STS thinks is HELPING their cause??LOL
Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

checking in....this might get interesting ^
Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Sub zero

I took our conversation to PM....I didn't want to mess up the thread....but you just don't give up. I am pretty sure I have made it clear that I do not work for STS. I am simply a customer of theirs.

You said something about.....I will no longer post in this thread blah blah blah....if you post....please continue to post relevant info about sts kit and why it won't work since you are against it. Don't you do this for a living?!?!(I was told something else lol)
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 PM
zmedic16

I took our conversation to PM....I didn't want to mess up the thread....but you just don't give up. I am pretty sure I have made it clear that I do not work for STS. I am simply a customer of theirs.

You said something about.....I will no longer post in this thread blah blah blah....if you post....please continue to post relevant info about sts kit and why it won't work since you are against it. Don't you do this for a living?!?!(I was told something else lol)
julian is/was an officer who does not know this? who cares? im not stickin up for mrc but no bodys profession should have anything to do with this convo. there is nothing wrong with bein a z enthusiast and having a carreer on the side..... tuning cars wont leave u a pention/benefits to take care of ur family in the long run...... thats if u were going somewhere with that. From what i have seened and heard mrc is one of the best shops along with many others here in the tri-state area that are great to their customers... if a professional installer/tuner tells me hold off on that kit because its not complete/unreliable..... i would ask them to adivise me on making it right... as the idea of the center charge pipe instead of the side pipe to my belief originaly came from mrc... i been followin this kit since sub-zero anounced it here... im a fan of the kit and the diversity it brought to our community... this thread got me leaning more towards the powerlab st kit when its released if ever.. no offense to anybody even at quoting sub-zero.

Last edited by zmedic16; 10-04-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

IDon't you do this for a living?!?!(I was told something else lol)
Turbo charging cars is not my main source of income, correct...What this means to my customers is that every car we build is not done out of the need to make money, but the passion for the car, and the end result. We can afford to lose a sale here and there to substitute for quality cars built with passion in mind. Makes for a more honest sale IMHO, Since Imnot trying to sell the customer everything but the kitchen sink to make a buck.
Now, my views on the turbo kit itself.
#1)The original piping design was very bad..
#2)the oil lines included were to short
#3) missing pieces/bolts/couplers
#4) cheaply modified stock injectors
#5) improper spring in wastegate on BOTH kits, even after STS was advised several times
#6) the seal where the stock exhausts meets the STS piping does not seal properly due to a non machined flange to meet up with the stock flange.
#7) the directions were completely wrong, and done on a car with a modified upper plenum
#8) the wiring of the oil sump was wrong for an 04 model..
#9) the car makes almost no boost in 1-2 gear, then tends to overboost in 3-6th gears...
#10) After one good dyno run the system gets so heatsoaked that it wants to knock all over the place.
#11) improper maping from STS, they activated a TIMING CORRECTION map that would adjust the timing up to 4-5 degrees based on cooler/warmer weather..Caused cars to pick up knock on the road..
#12)Cheaply and imperfectly coated piping...
#13)overly excessive market pricing
#14) turbo is not clocked in the proper direction prior to shipping
#15) Air filter falls off easily and did not include metal sheilding..
#16)piping as routed, tends to hit and vibrate frame at certain points..
#17) cheap and incomplete mounting hardware..

This is all I can think of for now..I shall review our notes tommorow when I get to the shop..
Attached Thumbnails Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-st1.jpg   Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-st2.jpg   Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-st3.jpg   Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-st4.jpg   Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-st5.jpg  

Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Some more pics..I got tons of notes and pics, I can go all day and night on this kit bro..My experiences with the kit are based on my professional opinions and dealing with it. In theory it works,in practiacal driving, it needs to be re thought out. Im not saying you can not make big power with a remote mount kit, but not the way this particular one is designed.
Now it is true I have contempt for STS at this point due to what i term as SHADY dealings on their end, however I would like to clarify, that my porfessional opinion in just that. There are many thing I do like about the kit such as quality of some of the components used.
Attached Thumbnails Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-st6.jpg   Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-sts7.jpg  

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 10-04-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^
Old 10-05-2007, 05:23 AM
TegraRacer134

Julian we get the point you dont like the STS kit. I can go through you installing the STS kit and telling you where you messed up as compared to CIN when they did my car. Which one major thing I noticed was you didnt even take the time to relocate the power steering cooler so it sits in front of the intercooler and looks terrible. Both of the kits we got at CIN werent missing peices and both are running great. I have had mine on for 10k miles and havent had any maintence with it other than cleaning the air filter.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 AM
DanielW
Banned

Same here

Last edited by DanielW; 10-05-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Sub zero

i have changed my oil and changed the air filter a couple of times...thats all
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Sub zero

Originally Posted by zmedic16
julian is/was an officer who does not know this? who cares? im not stickin up for mrc but no bodys profession should have anything to do with this convo. there is nothing wrong with bein a z enthusiast and having a carreer on the side..... tuning cars wont leave u a pention/benefits to take care of ur family in the long run...... thats if u were going somewhere with that. From what i have seened and heard mrc is one of the best shops along with many others here in the tri-state area that are great to their customers... if a professional installer/tuner tells me hold off on that kit because its not complete/unreliable..... i would ask them to adivise me on making it right... as the idea of the center charge pipe instead of the side pipe to my belief originaly came from mrc... i been followin this kit since sub-zero anounced it here... im a fan of the kit and the diversity it brought to our community... this thread got me leaning more towards the powerlab st kit when its released if ever.. no offense to anybody even at quoting sub-zero.

no offense taken....and I completely agree with you. Even if all the bugs were tweaked julian would still knock the kit...and him not taking the time to relocate the power steering cooler...i wont even comment on that
Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
^^^^

+1

i think SZ is sufering the NG syndrome
....you know what...now that you think about it I believe your tax dollars paid for my turbo kit...and my house..my cars..and my vacation to hawawii this weekend. So Thank you Julian...thank you for supporting the military! Kid......lol
shouldn't that comment **** off any tax payer on this site?
i mean that was just way too random

Even if all the bugs were tweaked julian would still knock the kit
that might be right on that but they have to figure out the bugs first i guess for that comment to hold any value

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-05-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by TegraRacer134
Julian we get the point you dont like the STS kit. I can go through you installing the STS kit and telling you where you messed up as compared to CIN when they did my car. Which one major thing I noticed was you didnt even take the time to relocate the power steering cooler so it sits in front of the intercooler and looks terrible. Both of the kits we got at CIN werent missing peices and both are running great. I have had mine on for 10k miles and havent had any maintence with it other than cleaning the air filter.
We didnt mess up a single thing bro..We did relocate the PS cooler, THE RIGHT WAY and made our OWN brackets..Trust me, we didnt mess up anything..And if you noticed the Power Steering cooler was never an issue..And please show me where in those particular pictures you can even SEE the power steering cooler?

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread