Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 AM
DudeMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i have a shitty mbc and im torn if i should get a gm ebcs or mbc? i used to only run ebcs in my sti but what do you guys think for the utec? faster spool using a gm or mbc? and to run a ebcs one side to constant 12v and other to port 2?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by DudeMan
alright so i have a shitty mbc and im torn if i should get a gm ebcs or mbc? i used to only run ebcs in my sti but what do you guys think for the utec? faster spool using a gm or mbc? and to run a ebcs one side to constant 12v and other to port 2?
If you can afford an EBC then get them, search this thread coz DanielW and Ashmo both had an EBC and they got good review. Even with a BCS you wont get the quick same response as a good EBC. I believe DanielW had a speed/gear dependent boost control and he was able to adjust his boost on each gear, this allow him to hit full boost on 1st gear.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by athenG
If you can afford an EBC then get them, search this thread coz DanielW and Ashmo both had an EBC and they got good review. Even with a BCS you wont get the quick same response as a good EBC. I believe DanielW had a speed/gear dependent boost control and he was able to adjust his boost on each gear, this allow him to hit full boost on 1st gear.

thanks yea my friend has a basically brand new greddy e01 hes gonna sell to me for 100 and theyre almost 600 brand new
Old 03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

how much will STS customize a kit for you, like if i dont want injectors/utec what not?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ErkTheJerk73
how much will STS customize a kit for you, like if i dont want injectors/utec what not?
They can work with you. I was able to buy their "tuning kit" which included everything (minus the typical missing pieces, haha) except the fuel system and EMS. I actually bought it without the turbo and intercooler as well, as I bought those used from goosegoose, so they definitely worked everything out for me.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Hey Johnny I like your vids on youtube I just happened to come across some of them of your old supercharged and now sts setup. Why don't you just do the DW 600cc's and call it a day? I have those and they run, start and idle perfectly fine with the utec. Also, buy new, I just wouldn't want to buy used injectors to save a few hundred bucks with so much at stake.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to get some better videos up there this season.

I'd love to get the 600's, but I'm sick of spending $400 here, $500 there, etc. It just never ends. I do know that I'm taking a risk with used ones though. I'm hoping some ~600 DW's come up for sale in the FS section sometime soon.

athenG - Do you have the older overrated DW's like me? Or were you just saying you have some old DW's? I know the stock kit comes with true 440's, so I would think I would be fine with those. But I obviously don't want to burn the things up running them at max duty cycle all of the time.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
athenG

/\ lol at the missing pieces!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by JonnyC

athenG - Do you have the older overrated DW's like me? Or were you just saying you have some old DW's? I know the stock kit comes with true 440's, so I would think I would be fine with those. But I obviously don't want to burn the things up running them at max duty cycle all of the time.
I have the old rating DW too.. Have you look at the RFS? There are some added benefit of having a RFS and this will also allow you you to bump your FP just enough to stay on the safe side. I dont usually race below freezing so I'm just bring down my boost to 7psi and I'm golden, above 40F I'm still good and around 90-93 IDC at near redline. Above 60F I'm golden so I dont really need a bigger injector so I figured a RFS will give me that FP stability and an extra bump in fuel in the winter... This is just my .02 though.. I have been running above 90% IDC and so far so good but I dont usually stay in redline all the time. I think 90% is not as bad as long as you dont stay there for long...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
JonnyC

I'm going the UTEC BCS route (using the TurboXS solenoid), although not too many people have been happy with it. So far I'm getting some major wastegate fluttering, but I'm hoping an upgraded spring will fix that.

I forget which pin you hook it up to, but yes, you simply wire the BCS ground into the UTEC, and the other to a 12v source.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
JonnyC

I have the old rating DW too.. Have you look at the RFS? There are some added benefit of having a RFS and this will also allow you you to bump your FP just enough to stay on the safe side. I dont usually race below freezing so I'm just bring down my boost to 7psi and I'm golden, above 40F I'm still good and around 90-93 IDC at near redline. Above 60F I'm golden so I dont really need a bigger injector so I figured a RFS will give me that FP stability and an extra bump in fuel in the winter... This is just my .02 though.. I have been running above 90% IDC and so far so good but I dont usually stay in redline all the time. I think 90% is not as bad as long as you dont stay there for long...
I would love to do a RFS, but that's a lot of $$$. It would be nice to always stay on the safe side, but I would be flat broke if I applied that to everything I did.

I don't track the thing, so I'm not worried about running the car that hard for a long time. The only time I keep on it is during cruise events where I have to keep it pegged in order to keep up with Ford GT's, Vettes, and Lambos.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
athenG

Stage 0 is about $500 so that is a price of a set of injectors, the problem is that you dont get much if you wanted to sell your old injector coz it doesnt flow much..
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I'm going the UTEC BCS route (using the TurboXS solenoid), although not too many people have been happy with it. So far I'm getting some major wastegate fluttering, but I'm hoping an upgraded spring will fix that.

I forget which pin you hook it up to, but yes, you simply wire the BCS ground into the UTEC, and the other to a 12v source.

maybe im retarded but i couldnt seem to find the turboxs bcs anywhere...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
athenG

maybe im retarded but i couldnt seem to find the turboxs bcs anywhere...
Just PM any vendor that sell utec or look at the market place for used one.. You can always order it from Turbosxs..
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
DudeMan

Just PM any vendor that sell utec or look at the market place for used one.. You can always order it from Turbosxs..
i think im just going to stick with the e01 hes giving it to me now for $75 so you cant beat that price but thanks for your help!

do any of you tune your own utec? if so i might have some Qs its going to be my first time messing with a utec unit but ive been reading the manual religiously so i think i got it down just not too much info on setting up a 2step and no lift shift
Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
athenG

2 step dont work with utec.. Do you have a background in tuning?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM
DudeMan

2 step dont work with utec.. Do you have a background in tuning?
really!? damni could have sworn i read something on launch control and flat foot

also read about the wot box how do you feel about that?

not anything major but i know the basics i had a 400whp sti on pump gas and i helped with tuning i could have tuned it myself but i figured i built it and put all my time and sweat in it i wanted a perfect tune
Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
athenG

Turboxs supposed to release an update but they just took our money and run with it.. lol You can buy a WOT/Flat Foot **** box though but not with Utec.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
DudeMan

Turboxs supposed to release an update but they just took our money and run with it.. lol You can buy a WOT/Flat Foot **** box though but not with Utec.

yea it looked sketchy lol when i saw it... damn i want flat foot shifting!!!! ill be building a block soon and probably going with a front mount turbo system but that wont be for like a year so i want to see what i can squeeze out of this setup... someone has a nice 35r forsale on a local forum for 850 i might pick up and throw on for some more power and faster spool... im just not sure if i want to run a coolant line all the way back there then back to the block if i do it will be ss lines but ehhh idk yet so many option i have up in the air at the moment

btw where in nyc are you? im from staten island
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
athenG

LOL I'm from Staten Island too... If you want flat shifting then one vendor sell them here.. https://my350z.com/forum/product-ann...ft-module.html
Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
DudeMan

LOL I'm from Staten Island too... If you want flat shifting then one vendor sell them here.. https://my350z.com/forum/product-ann...ft-module.html
really? haha how old are you? i moved here when i was 12 used to live on robinson ave and highland blvd on the water

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread