Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ditched my vortech: Built motor, greddy twins, budget build: updated 9-18-2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

get some Brasso or never-dull and that metal portion will shine up really easily. It's just engine crud that makes it look bad and will come off really easy.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 984 Likes on 747 Posts

I hit it with a little steel wool to clean it up.

Drove the car tonight...it has been so long, too long!

Swapped in some okada coils and new 2 step colder plugs and went for a drive.

Love having the cosworth. Makes spark plug and coil pack swaps so easy!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not sold on my 2 step colders. I bought a new set of 1 step coppers to replace my iridiums with. I just think for big injector/moderate whp builds they are prone to misfire during cold starts

Cosworth is worth its cost just for plug changes for sure! My personal hourly rate is much higher than a shop so he cossy paid for itself rather quickly
Old 10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i'm not sold on my 2 step colders. I bought a new set of 1 step coppers to replace my iridiums with. I just think for big injector/moderate whp builds they are prone to misfire during cold starts

Cosworth is worth its cost just for plug changes for sure! My personal hourly rate is much higher than a shop so he cossy paid for itself rather quickly
i dont have a problem with stock intake and changing plugs so how can the cosworth make it that much easier? what does it remove or move?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

I just remember doing plugs was more of hassle with the oem plenum than it is with the cosworth.

I can do plugs and coilpacks in under .5hr, all hand tools.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Cux350z
I just remember doing plugs was more of hassle with the oem plenum than it is with the cosworth.

I can do plugs and coilpacks in under .5hr, all hand tools.
same here. 10mm t handle with my t handle plug wrench. 7/16" ratchet wrench to get my t bolts off of the intake pipe. Last i had it apart was for compression check and it took about 45 minutes to do a complete compression check from pulling the plugs to having it back together. I've never noticed the plenum being in the way. The only thing that's in my way is that charge pipe.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the plenum is much less in the way if its a cosworth.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 AM
binder

Originally Posted by - bigc -
the plenum is much less in the way if its a cosworth.
can someone take a picture of the cosworth? there seriously is zero interference on my plenum. Maybe i got nissan special edition plenum but there is about 4" clearance from coils to plenum.

sorry for the derail. I would have bumped this anyways because we are getting ripped off on info about this build
Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by binder
sorry for the derail. I would have bumped this anyways because we are getting ripped off on info about this build

Update:

Swapped in okada project coils.
Car stumbles at idle at first but once it runs for a few seconds, it idles like a champ.
No CEL after resetting and changing some of the idle control from what the tuner did. Just got back from a 20mile drive on the hwy.
While driving I have to bring the rpms down slowly when coming to a stop else engine will stall. Kind of a nuisance.

-Will be checking to see if oil leak is 100% contained
-New ps and coolant tanks seem to be working well
-Need to get an alignment done ASAP
-Need to get a final tune
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

At a crossroad here.

Definite oil leak as evidenced by my garage floor. WTF! thought I had it wrapped up.

I want to fix it but its getting old. I may just replace every fitting that hasnt been already. And if it goes back up on jacks I will want to do the wire tuck or just wait till winter really hits.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 AM
binder

oil leaks are a nightmare.

My car has been plagued by various oil leaks (mostly tiny) for the last 3 years. Finally after this last engine install I have been oil leak free since august.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

OMFG. This oil leak thing is frustrating.

Got the oil up to 210, revved and revved to get the pressure up. Literally ran the car for at least 20minutes. Barely anything! The only thing I can tell is that it is not a huge leak.

Thinking my oil sandwich plate or aam spacer are the culprits.

Oil is up high on the upper oil pan in some spots so i think it is the ring seal of one o the sandwich plates.

Off to buy more parts........ugh. I have already doubled my budget ( buying parts i did not really need, just wanted) and it just keeps on going.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 AM
binder

where at on the upper oil pan?

i hate to say the bad news until you specifically say where but it could be the upper oil pan to block leaking. Either the rtv or either of the 2 oil seals on the front passenger corner.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

If all goes well this week I will have the lower pan and spacer off as well as the sandwich plates and feed lines.

I do not think and hope it is not the upper oil pan seal..ugh FML.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Definitely not the upper pan.

How the fawk am i supposed to remove the AAM spacer. There is no good way to get my screw driver in there.

I found 1 potential leak location on the sandwich plate. The rubber gasket had an indention in it. It seals against a flat surface so any kind of indention would leak. New plate and seal on order.

Looking to buy a new lower oil pan cover and use a fel-pro gasket instead of RTV.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Cux i may still have my old oil pan, pm how much u want for it and ill look around to see if i have it still.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lmk if u need the one off my motor if you arent going w/ a "new" one,
Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
nathanwl2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Definitely not the upper pan.

How the fawk am i supposed to remove the AAM spacer. There is no good way to get my screw driver in there.

I found 1 potential leak location on the sandwich plate. The rubber gasket had an indention in it. It seals against a flat surface so any kind of indention would leak. New plate and seal on order.

Looking to buy a new lower oil pan cover and use a fel-pro gasket instead of RTV.
yeah trying to pry the oil pans apart without destroying anything is a pain in the ***. if I remember correctly we used a mallet to tap a razor blade in between the upper and lower pan in order to get enough room for a screw driver.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Cux i may still have my old oil pan, pm how much u want for it and ill look around to see if i have it still.
Originally Posted by taywan
lmk if u need the one off my motor if you arent going w/ a "new" one,

Thanks for the offers guys. I wanted a brand new one. Not going to let used oil pan get in the way.

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
yeah trying to pry the oil pans apart without destroying anything is a pain in the ***. if I remember correctly we used a mallet to tap a razor blade in between the upper and lower pan in order to get enough room for a screw driver.
Getting the black oem pan off was not a problem. It allows you to get a screw driver in and hit very well. The aam spacer took several angles to get to. Finally, the combination of my longest screw driver, some vice grips and a few good hits and it finally came off.

I bought a new spacer from Florida-Z. He shipped it overnight before payment was even sent so props to him for helping me out.

I also used 2 new fel-pro gaskets in lieu of RTV. They were about 30 shipped for the pair. Should make removal and reinstallation ( with new gaskets) a breeze!

I also bought a new oil sandwich plate and installed it. It had a revised gasket. It is more of an o-ring that sits in a crevice. the old one was just a flat ring like on an oil filter and may have been my source of the leak.

New oil and filter as well. The oil pan was clean on the inside when i dropped it. Which is great news.

I ran the car for a half hour again. Getting the oil and coolant up to temp and then varying the RPMs to increase oil pressure and checking for leaks. I am going to let it cool down and inspect the garage floor. Hopefully I have this nailed!

Now to get some down time from work to go get a tune! So close.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Cux I'll be home soon! I hope we can meet up and see your ride!

Quick Reply: Ditched my vortech: Built motor, greddy twins, budget build: updated 9-18-2010