Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

any real evidence for crawford plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 09:28 PM
daytona350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rodH
it really doesn't sound like a "FAART", I was even questionable whether I liked the sound at first, I took my bro with me who has an Acura RSX-S and we HATE the fart can sound, I asked him if what he thought it sounds like, and he says it sounds TOTALLY differnt than the fart can hondas and sounds mean in a REAL way, not a posuer car.
yea, i agree, its kinda different, didnt know how to explain, so "fart" was the only think came to mind. to me it kinda is like a less resonated version, more raspy at certain rpm, and after 4k, just sounds sick! heheh
Old 12-14-2003, 06:21 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by StrictlyZ
As far as the crawford plenum on all the dynos we have done we have shown gains with the crawford plenum. Unfortunately I do not have a dyno chart with the plenum by itself so I know it doesn't help to much. When w did the dyno shootout for SportZ I was able to do some runs with 2 combos. One with crawford and Technosquare ECU, and the other with the Crawford and INJEN intake. I can't post the crawford and injen intake because it will be in the next issue of sport z. But what I will say is with boththose combos we did get over the double digit numbers.

I hope I helped some
Thanks Yuichi. Wish we had the dyno chart with the plenum itself but double digit numbers for either combination is impressive. See you at the Z nationals.

Dan
Old 12-14-2003, 06:28 AM
hfm

Originally posted by zzzya
Here is a link that shows some indepedent results:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....lenum+and+dyno
Okay, I'm sobber now.

I have three observations. First, it wasn't same day so there is greater margin for error. Second and more importantly, a 216 baseline is very low. 238-240 is the norm. It's not surprising for such a weak performing car in the first instance to have significant gains from modifications. Thirdly, we have other mods in play including the ECU and Injen.

Not the best dyno in the world but, definitely objective evidence. Thanks zzzya.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:41 AM
rodH

Originally posted by hfm
Okay, I'm sobber now.

I have three observations. First, it wasn't same day so there is greater margin for error. Second and more importantly, a 216 baseline is very low. 238-240 is the norm. It's not surprising for such a weak performing car in the first instance to have significant gains from modifications. Thirdly, we have other mods in play including the ECU and Injen.

Not the best dyno in the world but, definitely objective evidence. Thanks zzzya.
HFM, I agree 100%, I hate when I open a thread about a certain mod and a manufacture posts the dyno, and the baseline is 210-225 hp, then they added a mod and it gained a bunch of HP to about 235-240 (where a stock engine should be in the first place). Something about these Dynos done like that make me very suspicious.

not saying the Dyno is NOT legit, after all it is a Auto G35 (less HP, no CF drivetrain=increased drivetrain loss and an AUTO), so maybe it starts off with a lot less HP, but I would prefer to see dynos done on cars as close to mine as possible to validate the #s.

Last edited by rodH; 12-14-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:45 AM
rodH

Originally posted by StrictlyZ
Actually I think NPM has a very close relationship with JWT. The people that run NPM are the same people that run SE-R.net and all of them including Mike Kojima deal quite a bit with JWT.

I believe Ryan from NPM told me that Dyno was done on JWT's Dynopak. Just thought I would clarify, If i'm wrong please let me know. JWT definetly makes good products and I would love to have a set of their cams

As far as the crawford plenum on all the dynos we have done we have shown gains with the crawford plenum. Unfortunately I do not have a dyno chart with the plenum by itself so I know it doesn't help to much. When w did the dyno shootout for SportZ I was able to do some runs with 2 combos. One with crawford and Technosquare ECU, and the other with the Crawford and INJEN intake. I can't post the crawford and injen intake because it will be in the next issue of sport z. But what I will say is with boththose combos we did get over the double digit numbers.

I hope I helped some
thanks there is some great info in there. Can you give us anymore???

if you got a double digit increase with Plenum and INJEN intake, that sound pretty good. do you guys plan on doing a dyno with the plenum only? or the Injen only??
Old 12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
F2dmfine

Hey guys, I really wish that these posts would stop confusing everyone who wants some advice on a particular product. As for me I would like for it to be known that I am not affiliated with any company and my car is completely stock( I purchased and installed an Injen CAI, but took it off I felt like I lost Low end power, and the high RPM power was maybe a slight gain and not worth the loss.) I believe most members are interested in knowing what is the best ''bang for the buck'' but when people just start arguing back and forth it doesn't do anybody any good. What I am going to do is install a Crawford Plenum and a Borla TD Exhaust. I will dyno my car before and after the install. I will be more than happy to post my results. If it gains HP, which I believe it will...GREAT!...if it does not, then I will do exactly what I did with the Injen CAI, Take It OFF! Now I don't know when this will be because I am not sure how long it will take to ship, but I will purchase both of these products on Mon. Dec. 22. Hopefully the Crawford Plenum is not too backed up. I think that members should be more helpful instead of being sarcastic and speculative. It is not helping the people who are just looking for some advice.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:30 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

F2dmfine, your efforts will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Blue350zCali

Originally posted by rodH
HFM, I agree 100%, I hate when I open a thread about a certain mod and a manufacture posts the dyno, and the baseline is 210-225 hp, then they added a mod and it gained a bunch of HP to about 235-240 (where a stock engine should be in the first place). Something about these Dynos done like that make me very suspicious.

not saying the Dyno is NOT legit, after all it is a Auto G35 (less HP, no CF drivetrain=increased drivetrain loss and an AUTO), so maybe it starts off with a lot less HP, but I would prefer to see dynos done on cars as close to mine as possible to validate the #s.
That G35 is a Sedan not a coupe, different HP which you guys probably already know. Thats why the baseline is so low.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:28 PM
hfm

Originally posted by KJY9

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hfm
.... you remain just as ignorant.......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not worth responding to someone who can make comments about something he has yet to try...and the Crawford Dynos have been posted...check your facts.
Whoever said "ignorance is bliss"?!?

UGH

From: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....456#post584456

Crawford has their dynos posted. They're Chris's dyno results. I've searched and can't find any independent dynos. I have checked my facts. Have you?
Old 12-19-2003, 12:32 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by hfm
From: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....456#post584456

Crawford has their dynos posted. They're Chris's dyno results. I've searched and can't find any independent dynos. I have checked my facts. Have you?
Yeah - I made GREAT gains with only the plenum.

Dyno to prove it!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate when I open a thread about a certain mod and a manufacture posts the dyno, and the baseline is 210-225 hp, then they added a mod and it gained a bunch of HP to about 235-240 (where a stock engine should be in the first place).
For the 9 Billlionth time, the base figure make absolutely NO difference. The gain over that baseline is all that matters, and all that is worth paying attention to. Different dyno's will read different baselines...there is no absolute with a dyno.....peak HP means nothing, just like base power means nothing....the difference between those two points, on any given dyno, is what is worth looking at.

I think that members should be more helpful instead of being sarcastic and speculative. It is not helping the people who are just looking for some advice.
Amen - some (noone in particular, just a general trend I notice here) just love to argue and bicker.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:56 PM
hfm

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
For the 9 Billlionth time, the base figure make absolutely NO difference. The gain over that baseline is all that matters, and all that is worth paying attention to. Different dyno's will read different baselines...there is no absolute with a dyno.....peak HP means nothing, just like base power means nothing....the difference between those two points, on any given dyno, is what is worth looking at.
Adam, what do you think about this?

Car 1

Car one is stock and dynos at 200 hp. A stock widget is removed and an aftermarket widget is added. The difference in dynos shows an average gain of 10 hp.

Car 2

Car two is stock and dynos at 175 hp. The stock widget was damaged or defective resulting in the 25 hp difference from Car 1. The stock widget is removed and an aftermarket widget is added. The difference in dynos shows an average gain of 35 hp.

Wouldn't you say that the aftermarket widget in Car 2 isn't producing a 35 hp gain but is merely correcting the stock widget's defect and adding what it would add normally?
Old 12-19-2003, 04:11 PM
12SecZ

Encore!!!

Your posts just flat out make sense to me I enjoy reading them Adam.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Max are you running the Crawford plenum with your FI Z? If so I didnt' even realize!? I was looking at dumping it, but maybe I'll keep it on and take a look ratios when it comes to going FI.

l8te,
--justin
Old 12-19-2003, 04:39 PM
12SecZ

Dump it? Heck no man it evens out the flow to all cylinders in FI and is a good mod for higher boost levels.

Call Doug he has lots of cores (or had when I called.)

Turn around is pretty quick right now. Mine was being grinded on today to be done Mondayish.

That is why I put off the TS trip. Flash everything at once instead of increments.

By the way I XAM 12SEC Z,
Old 12-19-2003, 09:11 PM
rodH

Originally posted by hfm
Adam, what do you think about this?

Car 1

Car one is stock and dynos at 200 hp. A stock widget is removed and an aftermarket widget is added. The difference in dynos shows an average gain of 10 hp.

Car 2

Car two is stock and dynos at 175 hp. The stock widget was damaged or defective resulting in the 25 hp difference from Car 1. The stock widget is removed and an aftermarket widget is added. The difference in dynos shows an average gain of 35 hp.

Wouldn't you say that the aftermarket widget in Car 2 isn't producing a 35 hp gain but is merely correcting the stock widget's defect and adding what it would add normally?
thats what I am talking about. Thanx HFM for asking it in a more meaningful way.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:18 AM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a question that doesn't seem to come up. What kind of long side effects might come from the crawford plenums? I mean nissan had to design our stock units that way for a reason right? It's not like the nissan engineers say "HMMMM....wait that too much HP less restrict it a little and make less power!" any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:36 AM
cinergi1

I think Nissan designed it that way so that there would be enough room between the hood and cover that goes over the plenum, especially on the G35. I would think that Nissan would have no problem giving up some hp to solve a clearance problem especially if the hp was already meeting their design goals.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:38 AM
lowrider

Actually, there's less room under the "Z" hood than the "G" hood. (in front that is). For the "Z" they left room for the strut. No strut in the "G", and I think none is needed. On the Plenums Doug makkes for the "Z", he puts in a little dent in the front, just off to the left center, to clear the "Zs" hood. This dent is not required for the "G". When you order the plenum for the "G", tell Doug which car it's for, and he'll leave the dent off on "G" models. On the "G", the engine cover actually fits back on with the Doug's plenum installed. It's not as flat as it was, but if you didn't know, you wouldn't guess there was anything different. The biggest change is the gap between the cover and the oil filler. The cover, does rub against the insulation under the hood, but that's not a big deal. I don't remember, but I don't believe the "Z" has hood insulation, another reason, the "G" has more room under hood room. So, I guess my point is the plenum, as designed, was designed for the "Z", and fits the "G" just fine, and the "Z" dent is not needed on a "G". Actually, I believe the "G" was an afterthought, after Doug finalized the Design.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 12-20-2003 at 08:06 AM.