Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM
CeBrwn5454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spacer related question...

I have the Concept Z spacers, and as I was tightening the rears down last night I broke 3 prongs off of the 4 prong spacer lug key (stupid mistake). Should local auto stores carry a replacement or am I going to have to order another spacer lug key from Concept Z?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:03 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CeBrwn5454
Spacer related question...

I have the Concept Z spacers, and as I was tightening the rears down last night I broke 3 prongs off of the 4 prong spacer lug key (stupid mistake). Should local auto stores carry a replacement or am I going to have to order another spacer lug key from Concept Z?

Thanks for the help!
oh man.......that bites.....

local - your gonna have to try all the mom and pop shops and see what they have........i have found them, but its not something they carry, its just something they have acquired over the years so to speak..

most likely you may have to purchase another key - and i suggest getting a few as with those thinner spacers and those 4 prong keys - its not uncommon for them to break.

HOWEVER, answer these questions?

1. What size thickness are your spacers?? I'm guessing 10mm thick!

2. Do your wheels have gaps??? -- Because if so, you can go to a local tire shop and purchse really short replacent hex nuts - nuts that use a typical 17mm socket and not deal with stoopid keys! so long as they fit in the gaps of the wheels..........Review post #5

Narrow lug nuts like these:

UPDATE:
I found that Gorilla has the lug nuts I use on ALL my spacers: !

Ensure all the measurements will work for you and pick and choose!
go to:
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug.nuts.page_05

-J
Attached Thumbnails FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!-small-lug-nuts.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 04-12-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 AM
CeBrwn5454

The spacer is 20mm.

I like the 2nd idea. They are the OEM 19in G35 wheels, so I do believe they have gaps.

I am trying to picture exactly what the spacer looks like...so the hex nuts would go into the spacer where the strange lug nuts currently sit. Not a bad idea.

Here's the catch. How would I get the current spacer lug nuts off without a new key?

Thank you for the quick response.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

The spacer is 20mm.

I like the 2nd idea. They are the OEM 19in G35 wheels, so I do believe they have gaps.
yes they do! you will be fine!

I am trying to picture exactly what the spacer looks like...so the hex nuts would go into the spacer where the strange lug nuts currently sit. Not a bad idea.
Yes, the hex will be accessible with a thin walled 17mm socket...
take the spacer off, go to a tire shop and take a 17mm thin wall socket and the spacers with you and verify before you buy the X number of hex lug nuts you need for your car.

Hex lug nuts need to be M12x1.25 and i cant remember the oem taper angle but verify that as well on the "spacers"......has to have the same angle.....to mate with the taper in the spacer......

yeah, im honestly not happy that those 20mm spacers come with those key specific nuts........all 20mm spacers i have ever seen come with nuts like I posted above that use a 17mm socket normally......so ya, that bites!

Here's the catch. How would I get the current spacer lug nuts off without a new key?[/B]
EASIEST WAY - ya gotta get a new key.............

with out being there and no picture??....post a pic..?? but you can try vice grips and other stuff.....If there is room to grab the weird nut!, but that will be a pain........good luck with that....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-19-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 AM
CeBrwn5454

Thank you for your help Jason. I'm going to call Concept Z this morning and see what they say.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Thank you for your help Jason. I'm going to call Concept Z this morning and see what they say.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 AM
CeBrwn5454

Chris at Concept Z has NO idea what he is talking about...didn't know how much the lug key was so he just made up a price of $15. I called him on it, explaining that thats a bit much for a lug key when the kit costs just over $100....and his response "I don't know." Other kits lug keys are online for $5.

Good customer service, I think not.

Jason, thank you for your help. A new lug key is on its way.

Last edited by CeBrwn5454; 02-19-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Chris at Concept Z has NO idea what he is talking about...didn't know how much the lug key was so he just made up a price of $15. I called him on it, explaining that thats a bit much for a lug key when the kit costs just over $100....and his response "I don't know." Other kits lug keys are online for $5.

Good customer service, I think not.

Jason, thank you for your help. A new lug key is on its way.
That screams out to me "drop shipping"

They never actually touch the product, thus they dont have any real info or tech info on them.........

like i mentioned early in this thread! whenever buying SPACERS - CALL FIRST - confirm they have them INSTOCK.......

I actually ask the guy "can you go to the warehouse and physically pick them up and check".......

yeah sometimes that way you don't get the best "ONLINE" deal, but its up to you! For me, when i bought my spacers - i paid a premium for them........no forum discount or anything, but I ordered over the phone monday, got them thursday UPS....done and done!

Spacers are just one of those items in the car industry thats a "drop shipping" *****....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-19-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 PM
TheSyn3rgist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
I did a test fit today with my ebay spacers. They fit great!! The hubs fit perfect and it looked awesome. I will get some pics up asap. I had to removed them because I only tried em on so I could decide if I want the same, 20MM, all around or smaller up front or bigger out back. I am going to do 20MM all around.

I'm running Nismo LMGTs 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. The fronts had no rubbing, the rears did have a small amount at certain angles. I am trying to figure out if I should just get the rear rolled or what. I am definitely not doing a smaller spacer out back.

I think I will also pick up some of that anti-seize lube because the backs have a lot of rust on the hub and were tough to get off.

Now I just need to get my new tires and shocks installed and then put the spacers back on!

If I get an alignment after I buy new tires and have new shocks installed, will putting spacers on affect the alignment? Or cause uneven tire wear?
The $60 specials on eBay say they are hubcentric...should I just grab a set of these or go with a brand name? My guess is most of these spacers come from the same factory overseas...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by TheSyn3rgist
The $60 specials on eBay say they are hubcentric...should I just grab a set of these or go with a brand name? My guess is most of these spacers come from the same factory overseas...
I bought a set of the ebay hubcentric spacers. I've put them on and taken them off twice (I take them off for AutoX) and so far I'm very pleased. Fit was great, quality looks good. Half the price (or more) of name brand spacers and even less than buying used name-brand spacers.

Anyway, so far so good on my end. BTW, they were very fast with their shipping.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
I would say I completely agree..............best to chaulk it up as a lesson learned and sell and buy another set of wheels...

Also, you want a less positive offset, but as Blackspeed mentioned 8 - 8.5 inch wide wheel, but I would say more like a less positive number like a +15 offset or so.

+30 on an 8.5 inch wide wheel would still call for a spacer...........

factory wheels are 8.0inch wide with +30 offset and people are throwing 20mm and 25mm spacers all day long!

-J
^ yep... the specs I was saying would be minimum to keep at least oem fit/stance.

If you want it look better than oem or more aggressive than you need to lower the offset and preferably increase the width.

I have the lmgt-4 nismo wheels which are 18x8.5 +25 front and 18x9.5 +30 rear and I am using a 20mm spacer all around.

You do have to consider your ride height too. The lower your car, the lower offset you can fit due to the negative camber. If my car was even stock height it might look a little weird with the spacers I have and I'm not lowered much.

Overall you really have to do your homework and determine exactly what look you are going for.

I think the only way 20's look good on a Z is if the car is SLAMMED. Plus just going to 20 inches, regardless of the width, throws a lot of performance out the window... especially if they weigh a lot.

You definitely have a lot to consider moving forward.

Last edited by BlackSpec02; 02-21-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by dhays
I bought a set of the ebay hubcentric spacers. I've put them on and taken them off twice (I take them off for AutoX) and so far I'm very pleased. Fit was great, quality looks good. Half the price (or more) of name brand spacers and even less than buying used name-brand spacers.

Anyway, so far so good on my end. BTW, they were very fast with their shipping.
I totally agree. I can only vouch for the seller who sold me mine, but I love them, great value.

Side note - can't believe they are only $60 now! I paid $80 + tax!! DEFINITELY worth it for $40 less than I paid for all 4 of mine!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
vlado_t

Hmmm... I think wheel spacers would decrease the life of the wheel bearings. Moving the tire out increases the lever arm and that increases the force on the bearings. No?
And there are many reports of failed bearings in the HR section as it is. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by vlado_t
Hmmm... I think wheel spacers would decrease the life of the wheel bearings. Moving the tire out increases the lever arm and that increases the force on the bearings. No?
And there are many reports of failed bearings in the HR section as it is. Any thoughts on this?
The spacers, just like using a smaller offset wheel, would put more stress on the bearings. I don't have an HR so I'm not aware of any problems that they have with the wheel bearings.

For normal DD, I'm OK with the spacers. I remove them for autocross though.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by vlado_t
Originally Posted by dhays
The spacers, just like using a smaller offset wheel, would put more stress on the bearings. I don't have an HR so I'm not aware of any problems that they have with the wheel bearings.

For normal DD, I'm OK with the spacers. I remove them for autocross though.
I drift/autoX the hell out of my car with and with out spacers.........have yet to have a wheel bearing go out....

you will find that for the most part the "added" stress isnt so great that people are having wheel bearing problems left and right or anything......not sure what your referring to on the HR's, but most of the threads in regards to wheel bearings going out apprear to be random occurances that some owners have had to deal with...

SOooo:. for the most part spacers on a 350z are not 350z bearing killers...

-J
Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 AM
HXS

are 4-mm spacers ok with stock studs?

no tracking here, just dd and occasional spirited driving.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by HXS
are 4-mm spacers ok with stock studs?

no tracking here, just dd and occasional spirited driving.
where did you find 4mm spacers?

but yes, 5mm spacers is the max you can go before you must change out to longer studs.......many have run 5mm fine and most sites with Z specific spacers will mention this as well on their 5mm spacers.

-J
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM
HXS

thanks J!

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
where did you find 4mm spacers?
http://zilvia.net/f/advertiser-wheel...14-3-4h5h.html

Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
danielhockey9

Default spacer

Sorry but im new here

I Just bought a widebody kit for my 7 (veilside 8PC) and there is piece over the fender so i have to get spacers .. did someone have this kit and know how much mm i have to get ?

P.S sorry for my poor english but im french

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by danielhockey9
Sorry but im new here

I Just bought a widebody kit for my 7 (veilside 8PC) and there is piece over the fender so i have to get spacers .. did someone have this kit and know how much mm i have to get ?

P.S sorry for my poor english but im french

Thanks
PM regan.....his screen name is VS350z or VS_350z or something like that..

he would know.........they are huge....like 1.5 inch thick!

Also, what you get depends on what your wheel specs and offset are now?? you didnt post any of that information???

either way, its best to install the wheels and MEASURE!

Start searching the internet for big spacers...
http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwst...t_detail&p=667
http://www.thetrackscompany.com/32/59.html
http://www.wheeladapter.com/wheel_adapters.php

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 03-10-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!