Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

It's not just the delay in shifting that makes it run into the rev limiter, it's the slip that occurs that causes unnecessary wear on the clutches. Boost only worsens it.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Si3lv5er0Z
so you can't just raise the rev limiter? u guys suggest a vb upgrade too
If you raise the rev limiter you still have a car that takes forever to shift. My tranny shifted faster than you could with a 6MT before the s/c..while still at WOT.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

With a proper VB, shifts are hard and fast. There is no delay under load. The shift just happens. It's not like it starts the shift, slips, then engages a second later... If that's what's happening for you, then something is not working right.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by rcdash
With a proper VB, shifts are hard and fast. There is no delay under load. The shift just happens. It's not like it starts the shift, slips, then engages a second later... If that's what's happening for you, then something is not working right.
I'm changing VB's apparently the Stillin is a piece of crap.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fowlman01
I'm changing VB's apparently the Stillin is a piece of crap.
keep us updated..
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 AM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by maXmood
keep us updated..
I will. I don't know exactly when I will be able to make the change but the sooner the better.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Zbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I have a 2003 350z Touring 5AT with a Procharger using a 9 lbs. pulley. I got the Valve Body Upgrade from AAM. My car shifts hard and fast. The only issue I noticed is that it takes a few minutes for the tranny to warm up. Before the tranny is warm, shifts can be a little slow. Once warm, the wheels chirp through 3rd. Real fun car to drive!

AAM Plenum Spacer
Procharger w/ 9 lbs. pulley
UTEC
2.5" AAM True Dual Exhaust
Walbro Fuel Pump
AAM Fuel Return System Basic
AAM Procharger Flex Brace
440cc injectors
Valve Body Upgrade
Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zbee
Guys, I have a 2003 350z Touring 5AT with a Procharger using a 9 lbs. pulley. I got the Valve Body Upgrade from AAM. My car shifts hard and fast. The only issue I noticed is that it takes a few minutes for the tranny to warm up. Before the tranny is warm, shifts can be a little slow. Once warm, the wheels chirp through 3rd. Real fun car to drive!

AAM Plenum Spacer
Procharger w/ 9 lbs. pulley
UTEC
2.5" AAM True Dual Exhaust
Walbro Fuel Pump
AAM Fuel Return System Basic
AAM Procharger Flex Brace
440cc injectors
Valve Body Upgrade
Thats pretty much the norm for our trans.And yes Fowlman the stillen is a piece of crap.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Murfdizzle21

so whats the best vb? and even if ur not fi u guys suggest this?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 PM
BaZooKa

GTM VB is best on the market, i suggest it for FI and NA ,,

BTW i also noticed that if the gear is cold shifting wont be that good ..

shifting is great in Manual mode,, down shifts are a bit harder, its a must for 5AT's .. here is my thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...b-upgrade.html

what i know from transmission failure is that torque will kill it,, and what will get effected are the clutch packs, so i have the VB upgrade and im thinking to upgrade my clutch packs so that my tranny will hold up stronger incase i wanted more boost, so what do you guys think about those upgraded clutch packs ?

Link: http://www.gtmotorsports.com/home.php?cat=262

CoachK your tranny began slipping at 500whp nearly, So do you think that those clutch packs will hold maybe 550 ?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...at 60, I've left my Z bone stock. Things could get complicated and, at my age...I don't think so!
____________________________________________________________ _______________________
'O4 Touring Coupe: NO feathering! NO oil-consumption issues! F-l-a-w-l-e-s-s AT!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 PM
nothix

anyone have any clues to what my problem could be?

year: 2003
tranny: AT stock
FI: Vortech 3.12 pulley
power: 373/322

Alright, so i hopped in the z this moring after its been parked all week (beater ftw) and took off to work.
Ran fine at first, but felt like it was losing power.
The further i went the worse it got.
Soon enough, about a mile down the road, it would just constantly slip, limiting me to about 20mph, no matter how high I revved or what gear i tried to put it in in the manumatic mode

I checked the fluid level and it seems to but much higher then it should be.
On the dip stick, its way past the max line and up to the bending point on the stick.

It seems to be behaving the same way consistently.
The transmissions starts to buck and slip if i get on it at all.
I have to keep it under 2000 rpms, and the tranny shifts and catches normally.
Seems to have problems around 50mph even when taking it easy, I assume this is the same rpm issue as when accelerating.

I know its really hard to diagnose this issue online, but is it possible that having a atf overfilled could be causing any of these issues? The fluid was changed about a month and a half ago by a local dealership.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 PM
tiguy99

nothix, how many miles did you drive w/o the vb, TC and cooler upgrades?

Also, how hard did you drive your car on a regular basis? I'm wondering if all these upgrades are necessary for a 5AT in the mid 300s hp/tq range especially if the car's driven lightly with the occasional spirited run here and there

As for your issue, I'm sure they're going to have to get your trans apart to have a look to see what's going on in there. Its hard for us to tell but it sounds like its probably on its way out

Last edited by tiguy99; 04-17-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 AM
coachk
Banned

You should definitely drain out the excess fluid...it can cause the tranny to slip. What color is the fluid on the dipstick. Since they overfilled it, I wonder if they never drained the old fluid and just added new fluid on top of the old....
Old 04-18-2009, 07:51 AM
nothix

Originally Posted by tiguy99
nothix, how many miles did you drive w/o the vb, TC and cooler upgrades?

Also, how hard did you drive your car on a regular basis? I'm wondering if all these upgrades are necessary for a 5AT in the mid 300s hp/tq range especially if the car's driven lightly with the occasional spirited run here and there

As for your issue, I'm sure they're going to have to get your trans apart to have a look to see what's going on in there. Its hard for us to tell but it sounds like its probably on its way out
about 2500 miles, I only drive it on the weekend, so most of the driving it sees is aggressive.

Originally Posted by coachk
You should definitely drain out the excess fluid...it can cause the tranny to slip. What color is the fluid on the dipstick. Since they overfilled it, I wonder if they never drained the old fluid and just added new fluid on top of the old....
Fluid doesn't looks discolored, but I'm definitely gonna try to drain some and get it to the high range. Should I drain it while its running? Like the FSM says to do when replacing the fluid?
It also doesnt smell burnt, or like toast, or popcorn.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
rcdash

Whoa, hold on. The 5AT fluid level on the dipstick is basically a linear function of temperature. As the temp rises, the fluid level will rise. You must follow the FSM procedure. If you cannot monitor trans temps, let the car cool off, then let it warm up for 15 mins idling. Depress the brake and shift through to D and then put it back in park. While the car is running, go check the fluid level. Remember you are supposed to reverse (rotate 180 degrees) the direction of the dipstick when checking fluid levels (not sure this matters that much, but thats what the FSM says to do).

At this point you should be in the "cold range" of the dipstick, between the notches I think, not in the checkered part. As the car continues to run, the temp will move on up to the "hot range". If you run the car hard and the temp climbs well beyond 200, then it SHOULD read beyond the "hot range".

Now in regards to your problem, it sounds like it could be limp mode? Any CEL lights?

Last edited by rcdash; 04-18-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
coachk
Banned

Raj....it shouldn't be above the top mark though when checking it with the motor hot, is that correct?

It should be between the 2 notches marked "hot" when checking it when the motor is hot, but not past that top notch.

Last edited by coachk; 04-18-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 AM
coachk
Banned

SAM is that correct?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 AM
rcdash

Hang on let me find the FSM pic. It shows that it goes beyond the top mark as temperature increases.

EDIT: ok see attachment. Notice the dipstick diagram, the cold range, the hot range, then check the graph on the next page that demonstrates that the level extends beyond the hot range as temps crest around 200.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from at.pdf (57.0 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by rcdash; 04-18-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
BaZooKa

Originally Posted by BaZooKa

what i know from transmission failure is that torque will kill it,, and what will get effected are the clutch packs, so i have the VB upgrade and im thinking to upgrade my clutch packs so that my tranny will hold up stronger incase i wanted more boost, so what do you guys think about those upgraded clutch packs ?

Link: http://www.gtmotorsports.com/home.php?cat=262

CoachK your tranny began slipping at 500whp nearly, So do you think that those clutch packs will hold maybe 550 ?
Raj and Coach what do u think ?

Quick Reply: 5AT (automatic transmission) Owners With Forced Induction Please Read